Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Jan 8, 2017 at 12:47 PM Post #6,316 of 12,293
  oh ****! now I want one, lol.

my Ether sounds good with metal too, but I listen for a long time everyday, and after a while it does get fatiging due to it being a little bright.

how's the mids?
I'm just worried that it might be a little too v-shaped for me.
I like forward mids with excellent bass and fatigue-free treble.

I didn't really find the mids to be all that recessed, and they were in fact very, very good. I feel like a lot of headphones with elevated bass and any sort of treble sparkle get batched together and lumped into this "V-shaped" category, which I find to be totally unfair. A Sony MDR-Z1R and a Fostex TH-900, for example, couldn't possibly sound more different. 

I couldn't tell you how the brightness compares to the the Ether. I would say though, that the Ether's stock cable plays a pretty notable role in that brightness. If the Ether is really close, but just needs a slight adjustment you might want to think about that - whether or not that's an investment you want to make or you want to switch to a completely different headphone is up to you. 

Jan 8, 2017 at 12:57 PM Post #6,317 of 12,293
  Cool, appreciate your words. I'm a proud fan of as i lay dying, but I'm just used to the one too many times I have to explain myself on why metalcore as an entire genre can't be judged for a couple bands, and why it is considered a real metal genre lol. My favorite a7x song is sidewinder, never heard of MDM but will give it a go
Thanks for being reasonable, the response I got here was better than the other metal thread lol. Never heard of those at all, will check them out. I love Jesse Leach too

I started a new metal music thread last night,thus far just me and FastnBulbous have contributed...pretty much any genre of metal is welcome,except black,as the other metal thread seems to have that covered pretty well.

Feel free to share your favs here:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/831579/the-traditional-metal-thread

Jan 8, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #6,318 of 12,293

I didn't really find the mids to be all that recessed, and they were in fact very, very good. I feel like a lot of headphones with elevated bass and any sort of treble sparkle get batched together and lumped into this "V-shaped" category, which I find to be totally unfair. A Sony MDR-Z1R and a Fostex TH-900, for example, couldn't possibly sound more different. 

I couldn't tell you how the brightness compares to the the Ether. I would say though, that the Ether's stock cable plays a pretty notable role in that brightness. If the Ether is really close, but just needs a slight adjustment you might want to think about that - whether or not that's an investment you want to make or you want to switch to a completely different headphone is up to you. 

ooo well, I guess the best thing to do is to audition the sony first somewhere, before making the decision.
the biggest problem with cable is we can't try/audition them and I was interested with the norne draug v2, since a lot of people found success in the pairing but the wait is kinda sucks.

thx for the advice mate!

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:39 PM Post #6,320 of 12,293
MDM being an abbreviation of melodeath or melodic death metal. I like melodic metalcore a good bit. Both have their place in my collection. Heh.
60YYQZhBae0

DevilDriver (see musical style) is kinda fun. Mix of groove metal and MDM influences.

I listened to everything you recommended. I already know children of bodom, their instrumentals are really good but I don't like their use of synthesizer. I heard the jeff loomis instrumental, liked it much much better than most progressive metal like meshuggah or opeth. Soilwork perfectly fits just the type of music I listen to, felt like I already knew them even though I never heard of them, love it, especially the cleans in the song distance. I thought devildriver was pretty good, I like them more than lamb of god now I think. And I already listen to dethklok.... thunder...... HORSE

Jan 8, 2017 at 6:54 PM Post #6,321 of 12,293
@Conjoiner

I heard the bands you recommended. Adept and walls of jericho really didn't hit me, I didn't hear the riffs and solos I was looking for, but walls of jericho really surprised me... I was fooled thinking it was a male singer until I saw the music video lol. Dreamshade was pretty good, gonna look more into that to see if they got anything else I like. The nonpoint vocalist has a cool voice but not the biggest fan of rap rock like hollywood undead/rage against the machine, but I appreciate your recommendations 

Jan 9, 2017 at 6:19 AM Post #6,323 of 12,293

No, not yet. The final Atticus was not finished yet when I heard the Z1R. From memory, I'm quite sure they are similarly enjoyable, but the Sony is the more technically proficient headphone. Both are a little bit picky on amps but not overly so. On their ideal amp setups (IMHO - from what I have heard, YMMV) though, you're talking about a significant difference in price:

Sony MDR-Z1 ($2,299) + TA-ZH1ES ($2,199) = $4,448

ZMF Atticus ($999) + Decware CSP3 ($1,299) = $2,298

Make no mistake, that Sony is playing in rarified air sound-wise - it is absolutely awesome. But as nice as the Sony setup is, I'd gladly take the ZMF & Decware setup and $2,150 in savings instead.

which one is more comfortable?

Jan 9, 2017 at 9:27 AM Post #6,324 of 12,293
what is simple metal supposed to be?

Probably the wrong question. For me, music is simple that sticks to a routine or basic style too strictly. Teens that get into metal usually do it through 80s hard rock and the new wave British stuff. At the time they were breaking ground, but by today's standards those bands are established metal styles. Bands like Haken, Opeth and Vektor are often very complex in their song writing and will mix metal styles and forms to produce something unique and complex. So for me, it's not so much what is simple music but rather which bands are being complex and fresh is their opproach to song writing.

Anyway. People will like what they like. But they also don't know about music they don't know about.

BTW, I find the new Metallica fairly simple in their approach to music. Doesn't mean it is bad music or we shouldn't listen to it, just that it seems they are going for a more standard hard rock formula that makes money.

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:15 AM Post #6,325 of 12,293
Probably the wrong question. For me, music is simple that sticks to a routine or basic style too strictly. Teens that get into metal usually do it through 80s hard rock and the new wave British stuff. At the time they were breaking ground, but by today's standards those bands are established metal styles. Bands like Haken, Opeth and Vektor are often very complex in their song writing and will mix metal styles and forms to produce something unique and complex. So for me, it's not so much what is simple music but rather which bands are being complex and fresh is their opproach to song writing.

Anyway. People will like what they like. But they also don't know about music they don't know about.

BTW, I find the new Metallica fairly simple in their approach to music. Doesn't mean it is bad music or we shouldn't listen to it, just that it seems they are going for a more standard hard rock formula that makes money.

Cool, I appreciate your explanation. There was a lot more insight than I thought which is why I asked, yeah it is true there are music people might like but never heard about

Jan 9, 2017 at 10:25 AM Post #6,326 of 12,293

From your explanation it just seems like you're into prog metal more than the traditional sub-genres, especially if breaking ground is something you look for and you're looking at Haken et al.

While I love the fact that the next album from Opeth might be anything from spoken nursery rhymes to black extreme metal, it's nice to have bands honing their skills in the area they practice and live for rather than looking to be super edgy all the time.

FWIW I'm glad Metallica have gone back to some rootsy stuff but they are definitely experimenting in the new album. They needed to go back to something that worked (let's be honest, when you consider the years since the Black album). Plus with all the content they put on the triple disc for Hardwired... it's a bit harsh to say they are going through the money-making formula. 

But then...I have a huge soft spot for Metallica and in particular James Hetfield's rhythm playing. 

Jan 9, 2017 at 12:09 PM Post #6,328 of 12,293
  From your explanation it just seems like you're into prog metal more than the traditional sub-genres, especially if breaking ground is something you look for and you're looking at Haken et al.

While I love the fact that the next album from Opeth might be anything from spoken nursery rhymes to black extreme metal, it's nice to have bands honing their skills in the area they practice and live for rather than looking to be super edgy all the time.

FWIW I'm glad Metallica have gone back to some rootsy stuff but they are definitely experimenting in the new album. They needed to go back to something that worked (let's be honest, when you consider the years since the Black album). Plus with all the content they put on the triple disc for Hardwired... it's a bit harsh to say they are going through the money-making formula. 

But then...I have a huge soft spot for Metallica and in particular James Hetfield's rhythm playing. 

I like all forms of metal, I just find the more proggy stuff accessible to teens.Just this morning I was listening to Hail Spirit Noir, wonderful band.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back