Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 22, 2015 at 2:59 PM Post #2,416 of 12,302

I'm happy with my headphone collection, guys. Stop teasing me with all this HE-6 praise...

Amen to that.

I am really happy with my new HE 500, but I already caught myself looking for a cheap HE-6 and a speaker amp :/ 
Is the difference really that big or is it just the usual exaggerated talk about expensive gear you often read on head-fi? 

I'd say the sound sig is a bit different between the two - the HE500 being a more relaxed "HiFi" sound (extra bass and midrange emphasis) and the HE-6 is more of an aggressive, hard-rocking sound (lots of fast impact and a bit more high frequency emphasis for a more neutral presentation). HE-6 is also airier, more spacious and contains a lot more micro detail. Of course, the amp has to keep up with it to really get the most out of it. I know they look alike and are compared all the time, but to my ears, they sound very different.

Sep 22, 2015 at 3:36 PM Post #2,417 of 12,302
Yes, the 500 and 6 are different beasts. Well driven the 6 trumps the 500 in every technical aspect. As with everything however personal preference plays a part and some might prefer the 500s sonic presentation (the number who prefer it compared to a well driven 6 is pretty small however, I think I can only recall one person who had heard the 6 on a reasonable amp making comments along those lines). For metal particularly I don't think you can best the 6 until you reach the Abyss.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:36 PM Post #2,418 of 12,302
  I am so thankful for this thread - because of the details here I got the AKG K712pro - I listen to a lot of prog, death, techdeth, heavy metal etc - and the AKGs are just brilliant!!

Whoa. We were just recently discussing the band in your user name in the metal thread!

http://www.metal-archives.com/bands/Ne_Obliviscaris/91913

The TH900 would be a great choice for this. It's the only headphone I've heard that hits harder while boasting the same level of clarity and detail. It's definitely at the top of my list at the moment. It's absolutely brutal with double kicks!

Interestingly, the TH-900 was ranked second (above nearly everything else) in this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/t/716711/the-hardest-hitting-headphones-are-the-extreme-bass-club

But the HE6 was not tested at all there. I feel it should be, eventually.

Since the highest-ranked hardest-hitting (only in the bass) headphone there is the JVC HA-SZ2000, that makes things convenient for those who want the most bass impact, since it's only around $200. (Tip: the JVC HA-M55X pads give the HA-SZ2000 the most bass impact. And of course, you need to boost the bass with EQ and use a strong enough amp to handle it.) But it's not an audiophile headphone either and won't get the type of sound quality frequently discussed in this thread.

Yes, the 500 and 6 are different beasts. Well driven the 6 trumps the 500 in every technical aspect. As with everything however personal preference plays a part and some might prefer the 500s sonic presentation (the number who prefer it compared to a well driven 6 is pretty small however, I think I can only recall one person who had heard the 6 on a reasonable amp making comments along those lines). For metal particularly I don't think you can best the 6 until you reach the Abyss.

Any thoughts on the SR-009?

I'm gonna quote some relevant posts below:

Ultimate solution for metal. SR-009 - amped right and paired with a great source, they'll reward you in spades. I also think an HE-6 rig is worthy of being an alternative ultimate solution.

I feel the 009 out of HV or BHSE has that same type of visceralness the HE-6 does. The 009 is just more resolving than the HE-6 or anything else out there
save for Omega, which I haven't had the privilege of hearing.

Sep 22, 2015 at 4:47 PM Post #2,419 of 12,302
I've not yet heard the 009 unfortunately. Those comments are one users data points, interesting, but limited how much you can draw from them. I don't think others have rated them so highly for metal, but in all I think there are too few data points to really extrapolate any kind of general consensus at this stage.

Levap rated them extremely highly for certain genres, but for all the others was more muted. Hansotek might perhaps be able to chime in, I would guess he has heard them at meets?

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #2,420 of 12,302
I've not yet heard the 009 unfortunately. Those comments are one users data points, interesting, but limited how much you can draw from them. I don't think others have rated them so highly for metal, but in all I think there are too few data points to really extrapolate any kind of general consensus at this stage.

Levap rated them extremely highly for certain genres, but for all the others was more muted. Hansotek might perhaps be able to chime in, I would guess he has heard them at meets?

Since I liked the STAX SR-207 from a STAX SRM-212 (which I owned) quite a bit more than the AB-1266 and HE6 from a MOON Neo 430HA (which I only auditioned for a few hours), with literally all genres too, I'm just gonna...oh wait, I need to stop talking about my "plans" so much.
redface.gif
ahahaha...

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,421 of 12,302

I haven't heard the 009, yet. I'm going to RMAF in a little over a week, though, so I'm hoping I'll be able to hear one there!

Sep 22, 2015 at 5:26 PM Post #2,422 of 12,302
Just keep this in mind: Every time Music Alchemist writes and publishes a post detailing his tentative, ever fluctuating, headphone/amp purchase plans, Satan sacrifices a kitten as punishment.

Also I guess I should switch from the LCD-2.2 and rotate my TH900 for a little bit.

Sep 22, 2015 at 6:51 PM Post #2,424 of 12,302
Just keep this in mind: Every time Music Alchemist writes and publishes a post detailing his tentative, ever fluctuating, headphone/amp purchase plans, Satan sacrifices a kitten as punishment.

At least an angel doesn't lose its wings.
rolleyes.gif

...No wait...nooo! Who am I kidding? I love kitty-cats more than anything! :'( *meow*

Not to worry. I will save my furry feline friends by any means necessary. Whether in posts or PMs, I'm gonna try and not talk so much about plans anymore. I've already beaten that horse into the ground. Anyone who wants to see my current status in the future can simply check my profile. (Current gear in the relevant sections, past and wanted gear in the "other" section, all organized.)

It's easy to change plans when you don't have the money on hand. Not to mention the endless amount of information and impressions to read.

In my case, as I've mentioned, I liked even low-end electrostats more than the most expensive non-electrostats when I actually heard them, so for me it's just a matter of going with what I know I like most (instead of what people say does X better under X circumstances even when I didn't experience that myself), but at a higher level. I still fully intend on collecting everything else someday. But for anyone who cares...the reason I haven't been able to buy this stuff yet is only because I'm lazy. I usually barely do any work to cover my living expenses. But a project I'm working on now will generate $6K per month minimum if all goes according to plan over the next few weeks.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:48 PM Post #2,425 of 12,302

Just my thoughts. The biggest flaw, if you want to call it that because no headphone is perfect - the Stax don't typically have the weight one may enjoy.
Do I consider them bass light. On the right amp, nope. The HE-6 feels like there is more body, but that's it. Speed, detail, extension, tone, the 009 is the best.
Now, a counterpoint I'd throw out there would be the LCD-3 or 2 or whatever. They have great impact downlow which bleeds into the mids. More bass emphasis at the costs
of coloration. 

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:46 PM Post #2,426 of 12,302
Dang. I'm listening to "Demigod" by Behemoth on the M30x and the cymbals sound so real. This headphone is pretty good for $99 MSRP, $69 retail, and even lower used, though the relatively mild (compared to many much brighter models) brightness can be a little annoying sometimes. For such a vocal proponent of EQ, I'm pretty lazy about it.

Sep 23, 2015 at 12:28 AM Post #2,427 of 12,302

I would agree that the HE-500 are definitely on the smoother side of the treble presentation and at twice the price the HE-6 better be more detailed and airy.

Still, the 450 USD I paid for my HE-500 is the best bang for the buck value I think there is in the headphones world, period (maybe my Geek Pulse Sfi too).

Sep 23, 2015 at 1:04 AM Post #2,428 of 12,302
I swear, JPLAYmini 6.2 + Fidelizer 6.10 in Extremist mode sounds better to me than foobar2000.

Still, the 450 USD I paid for my HE-500 is the best bang for the buck value I think there is in the headphones world, period (maybe my Geek Pulse Sfi too).

Not to be an obnoxious STAX whore here (aren't I always? =P), but I paid $180 for that SR-207, and in my opinion, it annihilates non-electrostats in sheer transparency. Even when much more expensive headphones excelled in certain categories, I still never really preferred the others. When they had stronger bass quantity, the STAX struck back with higher quality of textured bass. When their instruments had more weight, it effortlessly revealed more nuance and detail, as if uncovering layers of mud weighing down the music. When others displayed greater impact, it calmly retaliated with more natural impact. And in every other category I care about (not counting soundstage), it won out no contest, for my own preferences. I'm normally highly critical of headphones to the point of causing far more controversy than any of my "plan posts" have. So needless to say, I am quite happy with the 'stat side of things. Despite my relentless enthusiasm for this magical world, I would honestly favor the current state of affairs where so many others don't enter it. Keeps things nice 'n' special for the STAX Mafia. ...Er, um, I mean, there is no Mafia.
ph34r.gif

Sep 23, 2015 at 3:53 AM Post #2,429 of 12,302
Electrostats tend to be fairly good value for money, yes. Except that you have to get an amp / energiser, which typically costs at least as much as the headphones themselves. Then, they suddenly are no longer such good value for money.

Aside from that, they have a pretty high mark-up when you compare the prices in Japan or the US to what they are here in Europe.

I should audition some Stax at some point, as, from the descriptions, they should be exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone.

Sep 23, 2015 at 4:00 AM Post #2,430 of 12,302
  Electrostats tend to be fairly good value for money, yes. Except that you have to get an amp / energiser, which typically costs at least as much as the headphones themselves. Then, they suddenly are no longer such good value for money.

Aside from that, they have a pretty high mark-up when you compare the prices in Japan or the US to what they are here in Europe.

I should audition some Stax at some point, as, from the descriptions, they should be exactly what I'm looking for in a headphone.

Some of the amps are pretty cheap on the used market. I got an SRM-212 for $150. (It has the same internal circuit as the SRM-252S, which originally retailed for $500.) And the energizers (aka adapters, transformers, converters, etc.) powered by speaker amps are available for even lower.

Doesn't that apply to most things, though? I mean, differences in price in various countries. Import fees are insane in some places too.

What are you looking for, specifically?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back