Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 18, 2015 at 10:45 PM Post #2,386 of 12,322
I've just read rumors about it on this site. No official links available, to my knowledge, sorry.  
But the Orpheus 2 is definitely comin' out! Gotta wonder whether it'll be better or worse than the original Orpheus HE 90.

Nah, Orpheus for home listening only. I want something closed-back, preferably with high impedance and smth like HD801 sounds nice
smile.gif

Sep 18, 2015 at 10:51 PM Post #2,387 of 12,322
  Nah, Orpheus for home listening only. I want something closed-back, preferably with high impedance

I wasn't recommending the Orpheus 2! (LOL!) Just thinking out loud with a side comment about upcoming Senns.

For what it's worth, as things stand now, my favorite closed headphone is the Yamaha HPH-MT220 and my favorite open headphone is the STAX SR-207. For all genres too.

I don't hear about many closed headphones with high impedance. Perhaps if you described your needs in more detail, others could help you out.

Sep 19, 2015 at 2:38 AM Post #2,389 of 12,322
Very interested to read your impressions and findings. Sounds like you'll be having a lot of fun. Good luck with the hunt!

A lot of fun indeed! Think I'll arrange a mini-meet and get a days worth of detailed notes from a handful of people, should get a pretty good overview of their respective merits that way.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,390 of 12,322
  I don't hear about many closed headphones with high impedance. Perhaps if you described your needs in more detail, others could help you out.

There are a few with the high impedance which I haven't listened yet. Among the modern -  DT1770, out of production - DT48
Or maybe new closed-back ortho-, isodynamic headphones will appear. Oppo Pm-3 wasn't bad

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:16 PM Post #2,391 of 12,322
  There are a few with the high impedance which I haven't listened yet. Among the modern -  DT1770, out of production - DT48
Or maybe new closed-back ortho-, isodynamic headphones will appear. Oppo Pm-3 wasn't bad

There are a decent number of closed-back planar magnetics. Here are a few:

Audeze (EL-8 Closed-Back, LCD-XC)
Fostex (T50RP, etc.)
MrSpeakers (Mad Dog, Alpha Dog, Alpha Prime, ETHER C)
ZMF (some of these are semi-open)

They tend not to have high impedance, though. Actually, I can't even think of a planar magnetic headphone with impedance over 100 ohms.

What I'm curious about, however, is why you want a closed headphone for use with a desktop amp. I mean, since you specifically wanted higher impedance, I assumed you would be using it on a desktop system and not a portable one. If this is the case, and you are only listening in privacy, it might be better to consider open headphones as well...unless of course it's not in privacy and what you're looking for is a quality home (or studio) system that won't disturb others.

Sep 19, 2015 at 3:50 PM Post #2,392 of 12,322

There are a decent number of closed-back planar magnetics. Here are a few:

Audeze (EL-8 Closed-Back, LCD-XC)
Fostex (T50RP, etc.)
MrSpeakers (Mad Dog, Alpha Dog, Alpha Prime, ETHER C)
ZMF (some of these are semi-open)

They tend not to have high impedance, though. Actually, I can't even think of a planar magnetic headphone with impedance over 100 ohms.

What I'm curious about, however, is why you want a closed headphone for use with a desktop amp. I mean, since you specifically wanted higher impedance, I assumed you would be using it on a desktop system and not a portable one. If this is the case, and you are only listening in privacy, it might be better to consider open headphones as well...unless of course it's not in privacy and what you're looking for is a quality home (or studio) system that won't disturb others.

Audeze is out of range, have heard open El-8. The others is out of vision, I doubt there will be a chance to try
Sorry I should be more specific there. Dynamic closed-back headphones with the high impedance and I was planing to use it with the portable rig
gs1000.gif

Sep 19, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #2,393 of 12,322
  Audeze is out of range, have heard open El-8. The others is out of vision, I doubt there will be a chance to try
Sorry I should be more specific there. Dynamic closed-back headphones with the high impedance and I was planing to use it with the portable rig
gs1000.gif

I see. Any reason for wanting high impedance? (Especially for a portable system.)

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:29 PM Post #2,395 of 12,322
In most cases, it's an easier load for an amp. Besides that, the sound is more "tight"

I don't think 'tightness' has anything to do with impedance. My FAD Pandora Hope VI and T5p are very low and low impedance respectively, very tight sound to both.

Sep 19, 2015 at 8:33 PM Post #2,396 of 12,322
  In most cases, it's an easier load for an amp. Besides that, the sound is more "tight"

I wouldn't say so. Most lower impedance headphones have higher sensitivity as well. As for tightness, perhaps you're comparing different impedances of the same beyer model or something? Because otherwise, it has nothing to do with impedance. I think you are severely limiting your options based on a misunderstanding.

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:19 AM Post #2,397 of 12,322
Got my HE-6 today after a bit of wait listening to some of my favorite old school thrash exodus megadeth kreator and slayer as i type these headphones are awesome for metal it will be hard to stop the listening session and go to sleep .

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:33 AM Post #2,398 of 12,322
  Got my HE-6 today after a bit of wait listening to some of my favorite old school thrash exodus megadeth and slayer as i type these headphones are awesome for metal it will be hard to stop the listening session and go to sleep .

Wondering if I have to add one more column in a table - "hard to stop the listening session and go to sleep" )) 

Sep 21, 2015 at 4:39 AM Post #2,399 of 12,322
  Wondering if I have to add one more column in a table - "hard to stop the listening session and go to sleep" )) 

lol might have to I think the HE-6 should get the red 5 star rating in that column .

Sep 21, 2015 at 5:32 AM Post #2,400 of 12,322

Users who are viewing this thread

Back