Headphones for metal music - ultimate solution
Sep 21, 2015 at 6:33 PM Post #2,402 of 12,302
I'm happy with my headphone collection, guys. Stop teasing me with all this HE-6 praise...

I wonder if my Oppo HA-1 amp would provide enough power to drive the HE-6 well. *sigh*

2W into 32 Ohm, will be underpowered unfortunately. HiFiman recommends 5W into 50 Ohm (that's their EF6 basically). 
Once you go down the dark path of upgraditis there's no turning back, you've been warned :D 

Sep 21, 2015 at 8:41 PM Post #2,404 of 12,302
2W into 32 Ohm, will be underpowered unfortunately. HiFiman recommends 5W into 50 Ohm (that's their EF6 basically). 
Once you go down the dark path of upgraditis there's no turning back, you've been warned :D 

Agreed, and the EF6 is terrible with the 6 to my ears. I had a few vintage amps laying around and was wowed after hearing the 6 with them, could not get rid of the EF6 fast enough. Then I tried my friends Firstwatt amp, and could not get my own soon enough.

Down the proverbial hole I fell.

Yggy>>>Krell ktc>>>Firstwatt>>>HE6 is my current go-to, and I started out with around a 1500 dollar budget.....

Sep 21, 2015 at 9:32 PM Post #2,406 of 12,302

And here I thought I could do without the Schiit Ragnarok... :frowning2:

I WILL NOT GIVE IN. I WILL BE STRONG. 

If you tend to listen at loud volumes, the Rag does the HE-6 some serious justice.

Sep 21, 2015 at 11:12 PM Post #2,407 of 12,302
If you tend to listen at loud volumes, the Rag does the HE-6 some serious justice.

I do enjoy listening to music at a higher than "safe" volume, but lately I've been much more aware of listening at reasonable levels. I've been experiencing tinnitus here and there and it's quite an annoying thing when my ear pops and I hear ringing ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes.

For the most part, I have my dial around 9-11 o'clock on average (for both normal and high gain). I've gotten so used to the dark sound signature of the LCD-2.2 that anything with neutral or emphasized treble sounds quite bright at the moment.

I would most likely be tempted to blow my eardrums out if I got the Ragnarok and the HE-6. I really want to get the Rok so that I can pair a set of KEF LS50 down the road, but I've been trying to save up money as of late. If I was a wiser man, I would have held back on a good amount of my impulse purchases last year... So, I won't go down the path and list all the things I'm planning on buying without being 100% sure that, yes, this is a definite purchase in the near future.

To be honest, I kinda want the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack just so I can say I have the most metal schiit ever. I imagine that listening to Amon Amarth or Tyr with the flagschiit/HE-6 would be the most viking experience ever, and I bet that Odin and Thor would descend from the heavens to shake their heads at the $5500 one would potentially drop on such a set-up.

Edit: 

"Money gushes from the wallet
 The cut is wide and deep
 Right before I pay my bills
 I fall to my knees

A clear song rings in the blades
 When planar gold meets hardened schiit
 I hear the sound of buyer's remorse
 A thought cut through my mind - couldn't afford it"

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:10 AM Post #2,408 of 12,302

I do enjoy listening to music at a higher than "safe" volume, but lately I've been much more aware of listening at reasonable levels. I've been experiencing tinnitus here and there and it's quite an annoying thing when my ear pops and I hear ringing ranging from a few seconds to a few minutes.

For the most part, I have my dial around 9-11 o'clock on average (for both normal and high gain). I've gotten so used to the dark sound signature of the LCD-2.2 that anything with neutral or emphasized treble sounds quite bright at the moment.

I would most likely be tempted to blow my eardrums out if I got the Ragnarok and the HE-6. I really want to get the Rok so that I can pair a set of KEF LS50 down the road, but I've been trying to save up money as of late. If I was a wiser man, I would have held back on a good amount of my impulse purchases last year... So, I won't go down the path and list all the things I'm planning on buying without being 100% sure that, yes, this is a definite purchase in the near future.

To be honest, I kinda want the Ragnarok/Yggdrasil stack just so I can say I have the most metal schiit ever. I imagine that listening to Amon Amarth or Tyr with the flagschiit/HE-6 would be the most viking experience ever, and I bet that Odin and Thor would descend from the heavens to shake their heads at the $5500 one would potentially drop on such a set-up.

Edit: 

The cut is wide and deep
 I fall to my knees

\m/ lol. Yeah, I would say my normal volume is in the 80-85 db range. The Rag really brings the HE-6 to life between the 2 and 3 o'clock position, which I'm GUESSING is probably somewhere in the 90-100db range (I really don't know). Obviously, you need to take more breaks at that volume to protect your hearing, but the trade off is worth it.

I feel you on the spending, man. I'm in the same boat. Lots of stuff I don't need and zero budget left for amping my flagships.

Sep 22, 2015 at 10:32 AM Post #2,409 of 12,302

Edit: 

The cut is wide and deep
 I fall to my knees

LOL yeah Schiit product naming is pretty metal, I am a huge Amon Amarth fan so I am always tempted to get a schiit product at some point. I mean schiit ragnarok vs audio-gd Master 11, guess which one sounds more metal? Lol the m11 rocks though.  

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM Post #2,410 of 12,302
I am so thankful for this thread - because of the details here I got the AKG K712pro - I listen to a lot of prog, death, techdeth, heavy metal etc - and the AKGs are just brilliant!!

Sep 22, 2015 at 11:32 AM Post #2,411 of 12,302
I am thinking of getting the TH900, as much as I love the HE6 sometimes I want a little more thump out of the kick drums. Is that a good choice? Anyone with both HE6 and TH900 care to comment? Thanks!

Sep 22, 2015 at 12:12 PM Post #2,412 of 12,302
I am thinking of getting the TH900, as much as I love the HE6 sometimes I want a little more thump out of the kick drums. Is that a good choice? Anyone with both HE6 and TH900 care to comment? Thanks!

The TH900 would be a great choice for this. It's the only headphone I've heard that hits harder while boasting the same level of clarity and detail. It's definitely at the top of my list at the moment. It's absolutely brutal with double kicks!

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:43 PM Post #2,413 of 12,302
I'm happy with my headphone collection, guys. Stop teasing me with all this HE-6 praise...

Amen to that.

I am really happy with my new HE 500, but I already caught myself looking for a cheap HE-6 and a speaker amp :/ 
Is the difference really that big or is it just the usual exaggerated talk about expensive gear you often read on head-fi? 

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:45 PM Post #2,414 of 12,302

If you want more fun on drums compared to HE-6, TH900 is a great option! Bass of HE-6 is more defined in structure, but 900 could be considered as Denons 7000 descendaces in involving bass reproduction.

Sep 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM Post #2,415 of 12,302
  I am so thankful for this thread - because of the details here I got the AKG K712pro - I listen to a lot of prog, death, techdeth, heavy metal etc - and the AKGs are just brilliant!!

712 are real treasure, I come back to them from time to time, no matter how many other headphones I have )

Users who are viewing this thread

Back