Headphones for Ipod ~$120
Oct 7, 2011 at 9:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Kajo

New Head-Fier
Hi there I'm new on Head Fi so here is my first and I hope not the last one post on this forum :) 

I'm looking for the good headphones for my iPod Video I believe it's 5th generation. I used before Sennheiser HD 205 and CX400 but my younger sister (aka evil child) broke them both... I was happy with both but now when I got nothing I decided to start looking for new device to enjoy my music. My budget is not the biggest one tbh ($120) but I think it's enough to find some good headphones. I read few topics on this forum so I got few candidates:

Sennheiser HD 448 - read good things about this headphones but few ppl were complaining about weak and anemic bass. Is there is any big difference between HD 448 and 449 ??
Shure SRH440 - very good reviews tbh
Sennheiser HD 555  - most of reviews are good but ppl complaining about not great bass
AKG K518 DJ - according to reviews this is a very good pair of headphones with great bass
Grado SR60i - from what I read ppl rate this headphones very high but I heard they're not the best choice to go out with this headphones and travel by bus, train, airplane among people because of the poor isolation.

Favourite kind of music: house music and reggae. I hope u will be able to help me choose the best headphones for me so I can go and grab them asap :D Greetings :)

btw. my english sucks sorry for that :p

Oct 7, 2011 at 9:55 AM Post #2 of 15
welcome to head-fi, sorry about your wallet. I have heard good things about the shure SRH440 and are on my to buy list, but they are very neutral, not good bass for hip hop or reggae, better for rock. Cant really help, as i havent heard any of them, but just thought im give you a warm welcome to head-fi.

Oct 7, 2011 at 12:08 PM Post #3 of 15
Thanks for the worm welcome and sharing your opinion about SHR440 :) I have read couple of reviews today and it seems they are perfect headphones for fun of rock music tbh. I think bass in SHR440 could be similar to HD 205 where bass is not too loud and not too quite it just doesn't play the main role in the tune that you listen :) If I had more $$ I would add to my list of headphones ATH-M50 but they are a bit out of my price range unfortunately... Hope other members of this forum got some experience with other headphones from my list :)

Oct 7, 2011 at 5:06 PM Post #5 of 15
[size=10.0pt]Save yourself a lot of time and effort and just walk into any DJ store, you know the type that sell turntables and lighting. They usually have a pair of Sennheiser HD25 hanging on hook behind the counter. Have a listen on your iPod. If you like the sounds, comfort and isolation make them an offer or buy from Ebay.[/size]

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:26 AM Post #6 of 15

Quote:

God, I like this headphones :) I just can't stop thinking about them now :p I have read couple of reviews and I think I just found headphones for myself. I need to get some extra money to change the size of my budget but I already got plan :p 
I got only one question about Beyer DT770 what's the difference between 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm and which one I should choose ? 

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:36 AM Post #7 of 15
80ohm, but they really need an amp,i got one of my teachers to buy them, and they sound fantastic,i have yet to give them a proper listen tho. Good luck

Oct 8, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #8 of 15

Quote:
God, I like this headphones :) I just can't stop thinking about them now :p I have read couple of reviews and I think I just found headphones for myself. I need to get some extra money to change the size of my budget but I already got plan :p 
I got only one question about Beyer DT770 what's the difference between 80 Ohm and 250 Ohm and which one I should choose ? 

You want the 80ohm version as they will be easier to power and drive from the device you wish to use.

Agreed that they will be a very good pairing with reggae, house and dub.

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #9 of 15

Quote:
You want the 80ohm version as they will be easier to power and drive from the device you wish to use.

Hi there ^^. It really depends on you though, if you are used to listening to music at louder volumes an amp would help your iPod cope with the 80ohms. But that means you have to fork out additional $$ to get a reasonably good portable amp.

Before you make any purchase i would strongly recommend you to try them out at your local headphone store yourself 
bigsmile_face.gif
. What works for other people might not work out for you. 

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #10 of 15
Thanks u all guys for your tips and advices. I appreciate that :) I think this headphones is very good choice as a headphones under $200.
Shame it's weekend now :p I would love to order them straight away because I can't wait to put them on and enjoy music :) How much time they need to burn-in ?

Oct 8, 2011 at 3:16 AM Post #11 of 15

Quote:
Thanks u all guys for your tips and advices. I appreciate that :) I think this headphones is very good choice as a headphones under $200.
Shame it's weekend now :p I would love to order them straight away because I can't wait to put them on and enjoy music :) How much time they need to burn-in ?

Just play music through them and they'll change according to your ears ~ some people believe in 'burn-in' others think it's just a bunch of nonsense!

Oct 8, 2011 at 4:41 AM Post #12 of 15
DT 770s, 80 ohm are a great recommendation. The grados are great too, but have effectively no noise isolation.

Oct 8, 2011 at 9:22 AM Post #13 of 15
oh i didnt see the AKG K518 in your list, theyre great, and great for hip hop.

Oct 9, 2011 at 5:00 AM Post #14 of 15
You should look at the Denon AH-D1100.

Great bass and soundstage, comfortable, portable, no need for amp.

I can assure you it will serve you well with electronic music and reggae. I am also a big fan of those genres and these are great for them.

Oct 10, 2011 at 7:11 AM Post #15 of 15
I just return from the store where I got opportunity to try out headphones by myself :) I think DT 770 Pro is still the best choice for my :) The sound is amazing ! I was listen to different kind of music and everything what play on these headphones sounds brilliant :) Between my old HD205 and this ones are big difference of music quality and they're very comfortable too. I try out also ATH-M50, Senn H555, AKG 518 and Denon AH-D1100 but if DT 770 Pro didn't convinced me I would choose ATH-M50 or Denon AH-D1100.
I'm decided to buy DT 770 Pro 80 Ohm but unfortunately they were out of stock so they told me th headphones will be ready for tomorrow :) Can't wait. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back