Headphones for Friends/Family?
May 26, 2011 at 6:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 23

stephancho

100+ Head-Fier
What's a good introduction headphone for friends and family still using iBuds and Skullcandy? We all have some of these friends/ family members. To sway them, looks and price are important. What should I use?

May 26, 2011 at 7:01 PM Post #2 of 23
Meelectronics makes buds which have an excellent price/performance ratio.  What price range are you looking at?

May 26, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #3 of 23
Sennheiser HD202, JVC HAR-X700, MeElectronics for in ear.

May 27, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #7 of 23
I give away the Grado SR-60. Everyone loves it, retro looks and all. After a few weeks, they almost always get in touch and say something along the lines of, "this sounds better than anything I've ever heard! How did you know about it?" I haven't recruited any Head-Fi'ers, but everyone is happy.

May 27, 2011 at 5:16 AM Post #8 of 23

Quote:
I give away the Grado SR-60. Everyone loves it, retro looks and all. After a few weeks, they almost always get in touch and say something along the lines of, "this sounds better than anything I've ever heard! How did you know about it?" I haven't recruited any Head-Fi'ers, but everyone is happy.

Given that Grados are the textbook definition of "open air"  headphones and have absolutely no isolation, this surprises me.  They do sound great for the price though...

May 27, 2011 at 3:34 PM Post #12 of 23
Sure...but they are a bit heavy for anyone wanting to work out in them.  So if that's something they might do, pass on the Turbines.  They sound really good no doubt...especially if you go refurbished from monster for 50 bucks.

May 27, 2011 at 4:30 PM Post #13 of 23

Quote:
Do you think they'll like Monster Turbines?

Yeah turbines are colorful and sound alright but they're expensive.

If they use cheap headphones like ibuds and skullcandies I'm going to assume they're going to say "$200 for headphones? Yeah right". I don't suggest they jump straight up like that. The JBuds can be a step up the ladder and can be fashionable too. They come in a variety of colors.

The portapros are good in my opinion but a lot of people don't respect the retro style and I'm going to assume they care more about looks than sound.

May 27, 2011 at 4:40 PM Post #14 of 23
Quote:
Yeah turbines are colorful and sound alright but they're expensive.

If they use cheap headphones like ibuds and skullcandies I'm going to assume they're going to say "$200 for headphones? Yeah right". I don't suggest they jump straight up like that. The JBuds can be a step up the ladder and can be fashionable too. They come in a variety of colors.

The portapros are good in my opinion but a lot of people don't respect the retro style and I'm going to assume they care more about looks than sound.

Turbines, brand new are 106 on Amazon right now, and 50 refurbished direct from Monster.  And again, why portapros...those are not IEMs like the OP requested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back