Headphones for Burson HA-160D
Jul 2, 2011 at 2:50 PM Post #32 of 47
Well I'm using a DAC-2 balanced out into a V200 >LCD's and the sound is not dark or slow.   Also I would never exchange the impression of dark and slow for the label of warmth.

Jul 2, 2011 at 5:32 PM Post #34 of 47
It is always a bit hard to weigh in without knowing budget, but having heard the 702 and HD 650 on my Burson and compared to the LCD or my modified t50, I find the orthos produce a more natural sound, and that is what drew me to the 160D.

In the end, I have an opinion which is that a truly great speaker, phone or IEM sounds excellent on almost anything. To me, the notion that you deliberately color your sound to be good for one genre means you have been playing games with frequency and transient response to creat an effect. This may sound great for a while, but these are also the types of devices that end up being fatiguing to me, because they mess with the sound. A well-balanced and neutral system will reach deep out in bandwidth and have a coherent sound through the whole spectrum, and should sound easy, without strain and transparent across the whole audio range.

That is the LCD2 sound, and on a budget can be done on a T50 mod for less than$120. I have concluded that the Rastapants mod I did on the t50 sounds better than my JH16s....

That natural, effortless sense of infinite detail, coherent harmonic structure and inky black background from the 160D/orthos is just unreal in how good it sounds, from metal to Mozart to Shpongle or Keith Jarret.

My $.02 is ortho or not, the phone that sounds best to you across all source types will be the one that is probably easiest to listen to and will be the phone you go back to over and over. At least that is my experience, YMMV...

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 3, 2011 at 4:14 AM Post #35 of 47

Quote:
To me, the notion that you deliberately color your sound to be good for one genre means you have been playing games with frequency and transient response to creat an effect. This may sound great for a while, but these are also the types of devices that end up being fatiguing to me, because they mess with the sound. A well-balanced and neutral system will reach deep out in bandwidth and have a coherent sound through the whole spectrum, and should sound easy, without strain, coherent and transparent across the whole audio range.

... the phone that sounds best to you across all source types will be the one that is probably easiest to listen to and will be the phone you go back to over and over.

Excellent post. So there is intelligent life on earth after all. I was beginning to despair.

BTW, is your name Mr. Speakers or Mrs. Peakers? 
biggrin.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 11:04 AM Post #36 of 47
After 3 days of listening and A/B ' ing the LCD2's and my AKG 702's.

I sold the 702's, not that they are any good..for the price they are AWESOME.

But the LCD2's are just that much more accurate and clear to me...accurate but not clinical...
In live sessions and performances the realism is better to me, the hand clapping and the atmosphere seems more like
being there than with the 702's.

Vocals, voices sound so life like and natural, they sound so very special...

Instruments are portrayed again, natural and life like....a wonderful illusion...

These cans are not like my high end 2 channel speaker system, but for headphones they are something really special and go beyond what the 702's can do....especially on the bottom end.

All the best
Alex
gs1000.gif

Jul 3, 2011 at 12:18 PM Post #37 of 47

Excellent post. So there is intelligent life on earth after all. I was beginning to despair.

BTW, is your name Mr. Speakers or Mrs. Peakers? 
biggrin.gif

Thanks...

Use whichever interpretation of the name makes you happy.... :cool:

Dan Clark Audio Make every day a fun day filled with music and friendship! Stay updated on Dan Clark Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

@funCANS MrSpeakers https://danclarkaudio.com info@danclarkaudio.com
Jul 3, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #38 of 47
Curious, any comments from owners of Edition 8s?

I've had an Anedio D1 for a few days.  For what I prefer, it lacks PRAT.  I literally prefer an HDP, at least for these phones.  

Jul 3, 2011 at 5:16 PM Post #39 of 47

Quote:
I suppose i should just save up a few hundred bucks and  go to a headphone meet so i can try the different cans out before i make the final decision.  

This is the smart thing to do.  I have a thing about wearing someone else's headphones.  I just can't do it (kind of a phobia) so I didn't go to any local meets.  But if I had I would have realized that I really do not like headphones no matter how amazing they sound and speaker listening is really my preference.

Jul 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM Post #42 of 47
Hi all, I thought I could add something of interest to this thread. I'm currently looking at purchasing the Burson HA-160D and living in Australia I thought I'd contact Burson direct and ask them which cans they would suggest are a good match for the HA-160D. Their response was interesting. The original HA-160 was apparently designed around the Senn HD650. The HA-160D was then created to get the best out of the HD800. During development they also used the LCD-2, T1 and RS1 as references. Certain team members prefer the LCD-2. They haven't trialed the Edition 8 or D7000.
I guess you only need look at the Burson web site to see their affection for the LCD-2. The main image on the home page shows a pair of LCD-2's sitting on top of a HA-160D.

I plan to purchase my HA-160D shortly but want to ask what closed cans people would recommend? Has anyone used the Edition 8's with the HA-160D?

Thanks

Aug 4, 2011 at 12:25 PM Post #44 of 47

Quote:
I plan to purchase my HA-160D shortly but want to ask what closed cans people would recommend? Has anyone used the Edition 8's with the HA-160D?

Thanks

I'm really digging the D7000's with the Burson HA-160. Dynamic, rich/full, punchy, with very good extension and detail. Some might think the combo a touch bright however.

Jan 25, 2012 at 7:06 PM Post #45 of 47

Quote:
I'm really digging the D7000's with the Burson HA-160. Dynamic, rich/full, punchy, with very good extension and detail. Some might think the combo a touch bright however.

Hi Arcamera,

I'm doing my research on the Burson and I have the D7000. Please could you offer a deeper insight into this combo for me having listened to this pairing a while longer?

Cheers if you can no worries if not!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back