Headphones for Burson HA-160D
Jun 11, 2011 at 12:54 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 47

tz1963

New Head-Fier
Hi,
I have ordered the Burson HA-160D and was wondering what headphones to get.
The AKG 702s are pretty affordable, so that could be an obvious place to start, but I don't want to buy them now and start looking for new headphones again in a few months time,because I realize other headphones may be much better. 
The Hifiman HE-500s look interesting too and they'll be available in Europe soon, but they are much more expensive than the AKGs.
I have a pretty good speaker system and would really like my headphone system to be even better sounding.
I listen mainly to World Music (Latin, Samba, etc.) and occasionally to classical music.
Thanks,
T.

Jun 20, 2011 at 11:01 PM Post #4 of 47
I'm sorry for having to ask this but i'm pretty sure i've read some pretty lengthy forums in which you were involved mentioning how you were only going to buy one headphone and one amp and be done with it. Down the road i noted that this how it played out, so i am wondering how you can after reading as much as you have on this website about peoples preferences make a judgement based off only ever hearing one system or maybe you've read about the burson and lcd-2 but that would not be your professional opinion, but an opinion of someone else.
Maybe the He-500 sounds better than the lcd-2 on that amp.  Possibly even outdoing the lcd-2 on a totally different level.  
(Not saying it does as i have absolutely no idea)

Jun 27, 2011 at 11:18 PM Post #5 of 47

Quote:
I'm sorry for having to ask this but i'm pretty sure i've read some pretty lengthy forums in which you were involved mentioning how you were only going to buy one headphone and one amp and be done with it. Down the road i noted that this how it played out, so i am wondering how you can after reading as much as you have on this website about peoples preferences make a judgement based off only ever hearing one system or maybe you've read about the burson and lcd-2 but that would not be your professional opinion, but an opinion of someone else.
Maybe the He-500 sounds better than the lcd-2 on that amp.  Possibly even outdoing the lcd-2 on a totally different level.  
(Not saying it does as i have absolutely no idea)

You are absolutely right.   All I can say is that during the past six months I'v'e corresponded with a lot of people about their preferences.  I would have to say all of them have or have had many different sets of cans and amps.  I've only had the LCD, Wyred4Sound, DAC-2, and the Violectric V200.  Many of my new headphone acquaintances own the Burson 160D and the LCD's.  Some also own the Hifiman HE-500 along with the 800.  After a lot of exchanges with them they all seem to prefer the LCD BUT that doesn't mean the Hifiman HE-500 isn't any good either.  It's just that people seem to be clamping the LCD on their heads more often when choosing from their selection of cans.   I wish I had a selection to choose from.  Sorry didn't mean to downplay the Hifiman HE-500 on you like that I have no idea if the Hifiman HE-500 sounds better on the 160D because I have completely focused on the LCD's.  But if you do get the chance to try both PM me! I want to know what you found out.  

By the way.  I'm really liking the LCD's in the rig I assembled.  My instincts as a broadcast video editor/ mixer and audiophile came in handy when trolling the minds of others for clues to my own audio preferences.

But if you really want to get a good detailed answer to you question concerning the Hifiman HE-500 and the LCD with the Burson 160D you should ask it in this thread.  I'm bet some of the guys there have the combo

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495631/amp-recommendations-for-audeze-lcd-2/2925#post_7570206

P.S.
NewMac, I thought you were the original poster so I answered it as if you were.  Either way the answer is still relevant I think.

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #8 of 47
get an used, LCD-2 or HE-500 or whatever, once you figured it's not your cup of tea, you can just sell it with little or no loss in money. 

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:29 PM Post #10 of 47
Looks like K-702 + Burson is a great combo.
k701smile.gif
Here is more info: http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/burson_akg/1.html

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:37 PM Post #11 of 47
K701/2 + Burson is a very popular combo, but if you have the funds for something like an HE-500 or LCD-2, I'd recommend going for it, as those headphones will audibly be a cut above and won't leave you with the itch to upgrade later

Jun 28, 2011 at 5:57 PM Post #12 of 47
I think it's a mistake to assume that every person will prefer the LCD-2 to the K-701, like I didn't.  Some people just don't get the planar sound and I owned Maggie 3.6.  So, yes, audition and comparing would be essential before any assumptions.  But, you knew that. 
smile.gif

Jun 28, 2011 at 6:01 PM Post #13 of 47
I'm a recent owner of the Burson HA-160. I've been using the Senn HD650's, the Beyer DT880's, the AKG 701's and occasionally the venerable Grado HP 1000's. I find that the music/recording largely dictates which cans I'll be reaching for. My favourite all 'rounder is the Beyers. On a good recording, that's my preference. On brighter recordings I'll go with the HD650's. If I really want to rock out and crave a rather intense mid-forward presentation-- it's the Grados. I only ever have the desire to listen to the K701's with acoustic/chamber/ less dense music. Of course, your mileage may vary (YMMV).

But I'll be adding some other headphones soon-- the Beyer T1's and the Denon AH-7000's. With the T1's at least, the reviews seem mixed. (I know I want the Beyers and I'll eventually get another amp if need be). I hope to get the LCD-2's eventually too.

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:23 AM Post #15 of 47

Quote:
I think it's a mistake to assume that every person will prefer the LCD-2 to the K-701, like I didn't.
smile.gif

Maybe not, but I think it's a safer bet to assume someone will prefer the LCD-2 to the K701 than vice versa

Users who are viewing this thread

Back