Headphones for Burson HA-160D
Jun 29, 2011 at 9:32 AM Post #16 of 47

Quote:
Maybe not, but I think it's a safer bet to assume someone will prefer the LCD-2 to the K701 than vice versa

Perhaps for now, until the craze subsides. 
smile.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 9:45 AM Post #17 of 47

Quote:
Maybe not, but I think it's a safer bet to assume someone will prefer the LCD-2 to the K701 than vice versa

Well... the OP mentioned that he listen mainly to World Music and occasionally to classical music, I remember bhanja_trinajan's was super happy with K702 Burson combo for classical music. BTW, word music is acoustic music as well.

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:36 PM Post #18 of 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbophead /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Perhaps for now, until the craze subsides. 
smile.gif

No, forever. The headphones have been out for >1 year now, and they are still excellent. I don't disagree that some may have a preference for the K701 over the LCD-2 (I'm a guy who loved the K701 when I owned it, and still strongly believe it is one of the best headphones under $500), but if you think that at some point a majority of people who have heard both will prefer the K701 to the LCD-2, you need to start sharing whatever it is you're smoking.

[size=medium]

Quote:
Well... the OP mentioned that he listen mainly to World Music and occasionally to classical music, I remember bhanja_trinajan's was super happy with K702 Burson combo for classical music. BTW, word music is acoustic music as well.

The K702 is excellent for classical music (and pretty much all acoustic music, IMO). The openness of the AKG is really special, and sounds excellent with large orchestras. For me, that doesn't outweigh the advantages in transient response, liquidity of midrange, imaging, and bass extension that the LCD-2 has, but those are just my ears...
[/size]

Jun 29, 2011 at 4:49 PM Post #19 of 47

Quote:

No, forever. The headphones have been out for >1 year now, and they are still excellent. I don't disagree that some may have a preference for the K701 over the LCD-2 (I'm a guy who loved the K701 when I owned it, and still strongly believe it is one of the best headphones under $500), but if you think that at some point a majority of people who have heard both will prefer the K701 to the LCD-2, you need to start sharing whatever it is you're smoking.

[size=medium]

Quote:

The K702 is excellent for classical music (and pretty much all acoustic music, IMO). The openness of the AKG is really special, and sounds excellent with large orchestras. For me, that doesn't outweigh the advantages in transient response, liquidity of midrange, imaging, and bass extension that the LCD-2 has, but those are just my ears...
[/size]

The majority not always on the right side, look what the majority smoking those days
basshead.gif

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:01 PM Post #20 of 47

Quote:

I listen to a lot of world music on my LCD rig and it sounds fantastic.  I also listen to a lot of classical.  Reproduction is excellent.   

Jun 29, 2011 at 5:09 PM Post #21 of 47

Quote:

[size=medium]
Nothing is forever and you can't have any of what I'm smoking. 
biggrin.gif

[/size]

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:34 PM Post #23 of 47

Quote:

​

I'm not sure I'd want to be smoking anything that made the K701 sound better than the LCD-2; it would probably put me in hospital after a few minutes. To these poor ears the K701 and LCD-2 are in two different universes (universii?). I simply couldn't abide the K701; my ears went into meltdown and haven't fully recovered yet. I kept hearing this metallic ringing like a very bad cup resonance, which I've never heard in any other phone. Weird.   

Jun 29, 2011 at 8:45 PM Post #24 of 47
Why do they have to like one more than the other?  They are both reproduction tools that can be used in different genre's.  Not one headphone can cover all the bases and be better than another (assuming we're comparing headphones from roughly the same tier.  Its better to own the HD650's, DT990's, and K701's than just one of them.  I found its very useful to have all three.  Same goes for the LCD-2/K701 argument.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:20 AM Post #25 of 47

Quote:
Why do they have to like one more than the other?  They are both reproduction tools that can be used in different genre's.  Not one headphone can cover all the bases and be better than another (assuming we're comparing headphones from roughly the same tier.  Its better to own the HD650's, DT990's, and K701's than just one of them.  I found its very useful to have all three.  Same goes for the LCD-2/K701 argument.

Personally I've never been able to see the logic of owning more than one headphone.  I know this isn't a popular view, but it's mine nonetheless. I couldn't imagine having to decide which headphone to use as well as what music to choose every time I sat down to listen. The only time I'd ever have more than one headphone is if I liked that one headphone enough to buy a backup pair.

Jun 30, 2011 at 7:31 AM Post #26 of 47

Quote:

I'm not sure I'd want to be smoking anything that made the K701 sound better than the LCD-2; it would probably put me in hospital after a few minutes. To these poor ears the K701 and LCD-2 are in two different universes (universii?). I simply couldn't abide the K701; my ears went into meltdown and haven't fully recovered yet. I kept hearing this metallic ringing like a very bad cup resonance, which I've never heard in any other phone. Weird.   

lol, you're right...with the K702 you can hear the differences when you're listening to mp3's.

Jun 30, 2011 at 5:41 PM Post #27 of 47

"No, forever. The headphones have been out for >1 year now, and they are still excellent. I don't disagree that some may have a preference for the K701 over the LCD-2 (I'm a guy who loved the K701 when I owned it, and still strongly believe it is one of the best headphones under $500), but if you think that at some point a majority of people who have heard both will prefer the K701 to the LCD-2, you need to start sharing whatever it is you're smoking."

Made me giggle!

Jul 1, 2011 at 10:29 AM Post #28 of 47
I have both LCD2's and AKG 702's......the  LCD2's 4 hrs old now and absolutley amazing...

I have the AKG 702 for several months, hundred plus hours...

The LCD2's are definitley my favorite already...but the 702s still sound good to me...

The LCD2's sound just so musical and the fidelity of instruments is so dang good...

When I put on the AKG 702s it feels like the weigh absolutley nothing compared to the heavier LCD's...
like are these really on my head ??

The 702's are just very different...

Time will tell if I sell the 702's or not....

Alex

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #29 of 47

Quote:

You're probably right... but now I have the Violectric V100+K702, and I'm not sure if I want to go any darker, or slower. The K-702 are fast hps with the right combo, and I don't want, or need to go half speed. BTW, I get very good bass, and bass resolution out of the V100, so more bass is not my issue.

Jul 1, 2011 at 2:53 PM Post #30 of 47

Quote:
You're probably right... but now I have the Violectric V100+K702, and I'm not sure if I want to go any darker, or slower. The K-702 are fast hps with the right combo, and I don't want, or need to go half speed. BTW, I get very good bass, and bass resolution out of the V100, so more bass is not my issue.

Darker or slower?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back