Headphones for ALL Genres and AMP to Match
May 31, 2011 at 12:01 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Buttsack

Head-Fier
Buying a good set of headphones has become a lot more tedious than I first thought. I've been looking at the Sennheiser HD-650 and the Beyerdynamic DT 880. So far I've read they are both good but depends on what I'm listening to. I listen to every genre of music there is and I like to listen to all my music on random. So I could be listening to Heavy Metal, Pop, Ambient, Rock, Classical, Dance, Hardstyle to Rap one after the other. But the headphones seem to be better depending on what type of music you listen to.

I would love to go and listen to a pair before I purchase them but most retailers I know of don't stock headphones above $200 and if they do they will be Bose.

Would anyone be able to help me out in choosing a pair of well balanced headphones? The Sennheiser HD-800 are too much of a price jump from $350 to $1300. Sennheiser HD-650 were my choice before I read a few posts about them being not so good with faster, heavier music. Can anyone please recommend a good set of headphones for all genres for under $600.

The next dilema is the amp. I currently have a Sony STR-DE495 5.1 Channels Receiver with the 5 sony speakers and sub that came with it. How do I find out if the headphone jack is incorporated with the main amp?

I don't want to buy a amp just for the headphones. I'd rather spend a bit more money and get an amp that can do both speakers and headphones. What should I be looking for when matching up a AMP with a DAC? Will $5000 get me a good AMP and DAC that I will use in 10 years time? I'd rather spend $5000 now and buy the system once, rather than to keep upgrading and losing money.

Jun 2, 2011 at 2:20 AM Post #3 of 4
If you want a budget system, buy a used Sennheiser HD-600 for $200 or so and a Dynalo for $300. That's an awfully good setup.

If you want to spend more, buy a Zana Deux. There's a promotion on them for $1,995 right now. It won't drive speakers (they need more power) but will work as an excellent preamp. I use mine as one. For headphones, the Sennheiser HD-800 would be an excellent fit, though you might enjoy the Beyerdynamic T1 or Audez'e LCD2 more, depending on your preferences.

Jun 2, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #4 of 4
Thanks for the help mate. I don't think I want a pre-amp before I get a good amp. I'd rather spend good money on an amp that will drive speakers first and then maybe later get a pre-amp to modify the sound. I'm not after a budget system either since I'll just upgrade it later which is a waste of money since I have the money now to buy a good amp and dac.

The really high end headphones over $1000 is too expensive when I haven't heard them or compared them with cheaper ones. I'm willing to risk $350 on something I haven't heard but not triple the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back