Headphones for a noisy lan?
Jun 27, 2010 at 12:04 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

Blu.

100+ Head-Fier
So I was searching the forums the other day for some noisy lan headphones and I came across these headphones.

Sennheiser HD280
Sony MDR-V6
Sony MDR-V900

They're not exactly what I had in mind in terms of sound to be honest. I was wondering if another kind head-fier could point me in the right direction. Some headphones that I own are The DT880s and the Senn H600s. These headphones aren't exactly the best on lan as they leak an enormous amount of sound. 

I was wondering if the DT770s would be the right choice seeing as how I love the Dt880s. 

I'm also thinking of some Steelseries alternatives if head fi doesn't work out.

Of course I'll save a bit of money through...

Other than gaming I'll probably be using these for dubstep, hiphop and a little bit of alternative rock. 

So are these right for me? Thanks

Jun 27, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 11
why would you go steelseries :frowning2:

i'd say probably go for some cheap circumaural ultrasones, hfi-450 maybe? the alienware branded hfi-550's are very cheap and not bad either at all.

Jun 27, 2010 at 10:41 PM Post #3 of 11

Quote:
why would you go steelseries :frowning2:

i'd say probably go for some cheap circumaural ultrasones, hfi-450 maybe? the alienware branded hfi-550's are very cheap and not bad either at all.

I heard the s-logic doesn't really add to the headphone and that the soundstage is mediocre. 

Jun 28, 2010 at 12:29 AM Post #5 of 11
Quote:
I heard the s-logic doesn't really add to the headphone and that the soundstage is mediocre. 

Depends. For me it works out pretty well.

Anyway, I'd go ahead and cross the HD280 off the list. I have a pair and while the isolation is incredible the soundstage is small and I didn't do to well gaming with them. When I upgraded to the D2000 it felt like I was cheating in comparison.

I'll second the DT770/80 recommendation. That's what I use for gaming when I can't use my DT990 or AD2000. They work very nicely for gaming and movies. However, with music I don't really care for them. They have a lot of flaws but I find they still manage to do a decent job with some types of music. I feel they might do okay with hip hop and dubstep but not so great with alt. rock.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:42 AM Post #6 of 11
I play a fair bit of LANs playing CS1.6, I've owned Sennheiser PC166 USB's, Steelseries 5Hv2, Steelseries Siberia V2 (Now using)

As far as blocking out sound around you and keeping what you want to hear in, the Siberia V2's are the best whilst the sound quality from the Sennheiser's are better, not that you can notice this when at lan anyway. I'm just saying that if you are at home and like listening to music, don't go with Steelseries.

In saying that, Steelseries is a gaming headphone and although they have got really good sound capabilities for a gaming headset, I would suggest you go and buy Audiotechnica's or Beyerdynamics, from what I have tested at lan and other lanners recommendations, the Audiotechnica's come out on top.

Models like the ATH-AD700 is what I would point you towards since thats the price range that I think you are looking in.

Jun 28, 2010 at 3:51 AM Post #7 of 11
another vote for the DT770/80 pro :D

Jun 28, 2010 at 4:14 AM Post #8 of 11
If you're gonna play at a LAN, don't you also need a microphone for voicechat? I use a Razer Carcharias headset for gaming with voicechat.

I have both the Sony MDR-V6 and beyerdynamic DT770pro/80Ω, they're both pretty good for gaming and your music preferences (another dubstep fan here!), but in my opinion the beyer is superiour in all aspects but then again it's also about twice as expensive. If you're gonna play for many hours straight I would really not recommend using the V6 as it becomes uncomfortable and caused hot and itchy ears for me...

They both sounded like crap out of my soundcard, Creative X-fi Extreme Gamer, so depending on whether or not you want to carry your dac and amp to the LAN, I would seriously recommend reconsidering and just use a gaming headset. As far as I've experienced, sound quality in games doesn't really benefit from a dac, amp and decent headphone, in such a way that it makes a night and day difference as it does to music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back