headphone sightings?
Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 22, 2003 at 7:57 PM Post #211 of 855
I go to a private school with lots of rich pricks (hopefully I'm not one of them!)

Every kid, and I mean EVERY ONE has a CD player. They range from total Panasonic crap to beautiful 20gb Ipods and Zens. A bunch of people, even the beautiful girls, have nice Minidiscs and other tiny contraptions. One of the 'cool' kids in the lower grades wears an flash mp3 player around his neck.

The problem is, NO ONE wears good headphones. For the most part, they are Sony MDR-150s, 200, 250s and 300s. My friend just bought a pair of shiny silver 300s, and to my dismay, loves them... I must initiate them! I wear my PortaPros, who's design most people adore, or my Sennheisers. I am known as the sound guru, or the money waster, depending on what circle of people you talk to. Hehe.

I saw a pair of MDR-600s yesterday, which surprised me a little. There's just no rest for the wicked.

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:06 PM Post #212 of 855
Hey Trounce, if you ever take the subway, then you'll see lots of EX70 everyday... it's madness, and most of them are white in color too!

Feb 22, 2003 at 8:21 PM Post #213 of 855
Quote:

Originally posted by bdb55
On a recent school trip I sat next to a guy with Sony V6's. I was wondering if he might be a head-fier... until he started to describe the phones as "ghetto," "phat," and "old-school."

I would never call my KSC-35s ghetto, but i often call them phat and old-school. Ghetto is a derogatory term in my book. V6s are definitely ghetto.

Feb 23, 2003 at 12:21 AM Post #214 of 855
Quote:

Originally posted by krayzie
Hey Trounce, if you ever take the subway, then you'll see lots of EX70 everyday... it's madness, and most of them are white in color too!

prolly to match their white iPods!
wink.gif
i see it a lot in the NYC subways.
one thing that's starting to surprise me is that i'm beginning to see a lot of MDR-7506, and i mean A LOT. at least once or twice a week. finally people realize that the V600 are crap.
biggrin.gif

cheers.

Feb 23, 2003 at 4:42 AM Post #215 of 855
I saw a pair of portapros waiting for the 5 train at 59th street!

Feb 23, 2003 at 7:50 AM Post #216 of 855
Hmmm...that could've been me ! I'm always at that stop.

I'm constantly seeing the stock i pod buds. Ya can't miss em' with their distinctive white cords dangling. It screams..Look at me ! I'm an i pod ! Help me ! I sound soooo much better with a pair of decent headphones !
There's this guy in my school who'se always wearing a silver pair of sonys. (smaller cups than say the V900's..and perfectly round, not oval) They're pretty good looking. And I always want to ask what they are and if I can check em out..I prolly will eventually.

Feb 23, 2003 at 8:14 AM Post #217 of 855
About the only good headphones I remember seeing a few of are RadioShack Pro-35's and Koss KSC-50's. Somebody got on the bus at Colfax and Downing that had a huge set of Sennheisers that were purple-ish in color and had plastic grilles. And one person had V700's on the 40. But that's about it.

Mar 11, 2003 at 10:55 AM Post #218 of 855
I've been at this uni for 2 weeks and most people who I see with headphones/earphones are those with the stock Sony crap that comes with their player. However, there is one guy that must be doing a similar course to me - he is in a few of my classes and between (and frequently during) lectures he can be seen wearing some big silver Sennheiser 'phones - no idea of the model.

Mar 16, 2003 at 12:26 AM Post #220 of 855
Oh, to add to whatever had been sighted:

Today on the suburban bus ride home from downtown Chicago, I saw a guy wearing Sony MDR-V600's!
eek.gif
I just stared in disgust, because I was wearing Grado SR-225's listening to Brubeck!
evil_smiley.gif

Oh, by the way, I've heard more sound leakage from other people's stock Walkman headphones than I've ever heard from my Grados - on the bus or train! I had the Grados up just high enough to hear some details over that noise, while the rest of the Walkman gang had the volume on their units up waaaay too high!
mad.gif

May 2, 2003 at 9:02 PM Post #221 of 855
In Santa Cruz, somewhere downtown, I saw a guy with wild hair listening to some Beyerdynamic phones, could have been 770's, but I couldn't tell.

May 2, 2003 at 11:57 PM Post #222 of 855
Waiting in line tonight for the "big event" at Apple Soho, someone was wearing the Portapros and had his new iPod already! I had never seen the Portapros before -- they looked nifty enough.

Sad part of the story: it started to pour about 35 minutes into the wait to get in, so I had to get out of line and run for cover. Now, I'm all for the new iPod, but hell if I'm going to wait in pouring rain for it.

--Chris

May 5, 2003 at 9:54 AM Post #223 of 855
In Norway, Porta-Pros are by far the dominant headphones among students and folks below 30 yrs.

By all accounts on this board, these are decent phones, but I see a disgusting number of them - its like somebody decided that these are cool and everybody therefore buys them. Pretty interesting considering that they cost over $70 in stores here - and to me they are butt-ugly!

May 6, 2003 at 4:32 AM Post #225 of 855
I mostly see the Sony old wrap arounds or earbuds at my University

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back