May 27, 2013 at 5:17 PM Post #8,986 of 12,415
saw someone using some ATH-CKM99s today... through a CD Player 
tongue_smile.gif

May 27, 2013 at 7:45 PM Post #8,988 of 12,415
Quote:
Quote:
saw someone using some ATH-CKM99s today... through a CD Player 
tongue_smile.gif

You never get to see CDPs nowadays. I've never used a portable CDP in my life(which isn't too long)!

Well yeah...what advantage does a portable CD player have in today's era?
I actually bought one for a cosplay event and it's a nifty piece of technology. 1-bit DAC w00t! Sound quality isn't that great, but I wouldn't say it's horrible either; for the $20 USD I paid for it, it's not too shabby.

May 27, 2013 at 8:12 PM Post #8,989 of 12,415
Quote:
I actually bought one for a cosplay event and it's a nifty piece of technology. 1-bit DAC w00t! Sound quality isn't that great, but I wouldn't say it's horrible either; for the $20 USD I paid for it, it's not too shabby.

When was portable CDP popular? I see it pop up in head-fi once a while.

May 27, 2013 at 8:17 PM Post #8,990 of 12,415
Quote:
Quote:

When was portable CDP popular? I see it pop up in head-fi once a while.

Most likely in the era before the iPod, so maybe the 1990s? I had a few portable CD players growing up in the 1990s actually; I had a blue one with a Boeing logo and a red one from Old Navy. XD

May 27, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8,991 of 12,415
Most likely in the era before the iPod, so maybe the 1990s? I had a few portable CD players growing up in the 1990s actually; I had a blue one with a Boeing logo and a red one from Old Navy. XD

I actually had a portable CD player until 2008 when I got my first iphone XD.

May 27, 2013 at 11:02 PM Post #8,992 of 12,415
Quote:
Have you guys tried the beats thing on android? I heard there was a sq improvement tool that beats created. My friend claims it makes things sound better, but I've never heard of it.

I haven't had the chance to try it either, but from what I've heard, it's just an eq preset to bass boost and treble boost, just like the Beats Audio on HP laptops. It's just another marketing scam, since you can easily do this yourself. 

This video explains it better:

May 27, 2013 at 11:11 PM Post #8,993 of 12,415
Quote:
Quote:
Have you guys tried the beats thing on android? I heard there was a sq improvement tool that beats created. My friend claims it makes things sound better, but I've never heard of it.

I haven't had the chance to try it either, but from what I've heard, it's just an eq preset to bass boost and treble boost, just like the Beats Audio on HP laptops. It's just another marketing scam, since you can easily do this yourself. 

This video explains it better:

I just posted that a couple pages back. XD

May 28, 2013 at 6:19 AM Post #8,997 of 12,415
I remember my first walkman, it completed my CD collection which was all rap at the time. It was the greatest thing ever, and expensive, you could've spent 150$ on one. Flash drives with less than a half of 1GB were over 100$ too and ipod's were a big deal. Wasn't until the mini/nano that they wiped out CDPs completely and you looked like a retro goof with one

I'm 18 and it's weird to see how technology is advancing. Pretty soon I'll be telling my grandkids how VHS tapes were all we had

May 28, 2013 at 10:28 AM Post #8,999 of 12,415
Quote:
I remember my first walkman, it completed my CD collection which was all rap at the time. It was the greatest thing ever, and expensive, you could've spent 150$ on one. Flash drives with less than a half of 1GB were over 100$ too and ipod's were a big deal. Wasn't until the mini/nano that they wiped out CDPs completely and you looked like a retro goof with one

I'm 18 and it's weird to see how technology is advancing. Pretty soon I'll be telling my grandkids how VHS tapes were all we had

Funny - my first walkman was a cassette player. :/ I had lots of CDP's as well - before high quality, relatively inexpensive mp3 players came along. The 80's were a dark, dark time. 

But then, I'm 37. 

Back on topic. Had a random - "hey, we're wearing the same phones" moment at the grocery store yesterday. Another guy wearing the wood Audio Technica Clip ons, the ATH EW9. Not all that common. 

May 28, 2013 at 7:40 PM Post #9,000 of 12,415
I had a $600~ ipod classic 4 20gb (first with usb i think)

My friend was like I have this 9v battery powered one thats cheaper

I laugh in retrospect at his puny power source :p ofc his might still work whilst mine's bricked for battery age lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Back