Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 23, 2013 at 11:13 PM Post #8,176 of 12,415
I can't agree here. I also can't comment on beats as I've never heard them. But the LCD2, although it certainly has detailed and accurate bass, even when hugely powered I don't feel would be anywhere remotely near what you are describing. They are gorgeous cans, no doubt, but they review way above their weight when it comes to bass. It's full and satisfying possibly even bordering some interpretation of "fun" for an analytic listener who prefers a clear flat signature- BUT these are not an never will be bass head cans. Words like "rumbling, thumping" and "enough bass to give you the impression of air compressing against your brain" and "convert any beats user" are probably overkill. Again not knocking lcd2 or anyone personally, just commenting on a trend of both privateer and renown reviewers going WELL overboard in describing the Audeze bass quantity (not quality, tonality, or clarity). Great headphones, darker than the bordering shrill hd800, but realistically and comparatively flat and detailed (if your a graph person it's a no brainer)- nothing more. Love them for what they are, don't try to over justify the price by comparing them to something their not and weren't intended to be it just misleads others who might spend a grand on basshead-disappointment. Again I heart lcd2- just being real.

Jan 23, 2013 at 11:34 PM Post #8,177 of 12,415
could be my choice of music/amp when testing bass that gave me the impression. Burson ha-160 + overwerk. That being said, I don't have extensive experience in the basshead cans, so I could be wrong to use hyperbole like that.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:18 AM Post #8,178 of 12,415
in a few hip-hop albums, I notice it now that I'm into headphones

sennheiser something

and does anybody know these ones? I thought it was some kind beyerdynamic but the grill resembles hifiman

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:48 AM Post #8,179 of 12,415
Quote:
I can't agree here. I also can't comment on beats as I've never heard them. But the LCD2, although it certainly has detailed and accurate bass, even when hugely powered I don't feel would be anywhere remotely near what you are describing. They are gorgeous cans, no doubt, but they review way above their weight when it comes to bass. It's full and satisfying possibly even bordering some interpretation of "fun" for an analytic listener who prefers a clear flat signature- BUT these are not an never will be bass head cans. Words like "rumbling, thumping" and "enough bass to give you the impression of air compressing against your brain" and "convert any beats user" are probably overkill. Again not knocking lcd2 or anyone personally, just commenting on a trend of both privateer and renown reviewers going WELL overboard in describing the Audeze bass quantity (not quality, tonality, or clarity). Great headphones, darker than the bordering shrill hd800, but realistically and comparatively flat and detailed (if your a graph person it's a no brainer)- nothing more. Love them for what they are, don't try to over justify the price by comparing them to something their not and weren't intended to be it just misleads others who might spend a grand on basshead-disappointment. Again I heart lcd2- just being real.

Still, for an open design, if they really do rumble that'd be quite impressive. Not many open dynamic cans are capable of that.

Back to topic, for the last 2 days I've seen some SR80's, HD555 (open cans in public???) and a pair of those Brainwavz HM-5, borderline hipster if you ask me, I don't even know the brand that well. And man they look huge one someone's head.

Jan 24, 2013 at 2:00 AM Post #8,180 of 12,415
DT990 are open and "rumble", LCD2 don't. They just have very lush sounding bass comparatively to other "flat" reference style headphones in their league. The bass quality is another topic though- this is where they excel!

I have also seen more and more open cans in public. I think people are buying what sounds good in the store, or is recommended by sales staff when posed with the question "which are your best sounding/highest end headphones", without realizing the pitfalls of ambient or worse still street noise.

Jan 24, 2013 at 6:35 AM Post #8,182 of 12,415
Went to a club on Sunday.  The DJ's used Audio Technica PRO700MK2, Sony MDR-V6 x3, and Technics RP-DJ1200 x2.
Some headphones are so decorated with stickers, that I couldn't tell what they were.  Here is a pic of one of the DJ's with a doll hanging from her PRO700MK2's.

Jan 24, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #8,183 of 12,415
Quote:
Went to a club on Sunday.  The DJ's used Audio Technica PRO700MK2, Sony MDR-V6 x3, and Technics RP-DJ1200 x2.
Some headphones are so decorated with stickers, that I couldn't tell what they were.  Here is a pic of one of the DJ's with a doll hanging from her PRO700MK2's.

If more DJ's at clubs looked like this, I would start going 
size]

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:04 AM Post #8,184 of 12,415
Quote:

If more DJ's at clubs looked like this, I would start going 
size]

You'd have fun at the clubs and small concerts I go to in Japan, specifically for Touhou electronic music.  There's live singers, people cosplaying (attendees and singers), and everyone is really friendly because we all came to PARTY HARD!
http://b-cr.net/
http://intothef.com/

Jan 24, 2013 at 11:58 AM Post #8,185 of 12,415
Quote:
Decided to make a first post after a bunch of sightings recently. I moved from Boston, which was just full of the usual Beats and whatnot, to Montreal where I see a lot of nice stuff in public and on the metro.

On the McGill campus, I saw Denon D2000's, AKG K171 MKII's, AKG K44's, and one of the Grado's in just one day. Seems like people here care more about good headphones. (I was rocking the ATH-TAD500, myself...)

I think about every couple of days out of the week I see Grado's being worn by someone.

Hmm, I'm going to have to convert you to a Montreal Canadiens fan :p Hey, now that you're in Montreal, I'll follow your profile and inform you when we're having our next meet. Last Montreal meet was very fun!

Audio-Technica Stay updated on Audio-Technica at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.audio-technica.com/
Jan 24, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #8,186 of 12,415
If you're going to try to convert a Beats user, get a Sony XB1000. They look a lot cooler than the regular XB line (which look really cheap) and while the bass isn't as crazy hard, it's much higher quality from what I've read. The bass supposedly goes all the way down to 2Hz.

Jan 24, 2013 at 12:58 PM Post #8,187 of 12,415
Quote:
If you're going to try to convert a Beats user, get a Sony XB1000. They look a lot cooler than the regular XB line (which look really cheap) and while the bass isn't as crazy hard, it's much higher quality from what I've read. The bass supposedly goes all the way down to 2Hz.

Discontinued. The name also gives away the sound signature so it kind of ruins the fun.

Sony is still way too mainstream. Not to mention the new XB line now directly competes with Beats (portable design, in-line mic-remote, flashy colors etc.), I'd get one if I want to join the Beats camp, not convert them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back