Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 4, 2013 at 10:32 PM Post #8,026 of 12,415
Quote:
Saw Sony MDR-ZX300/Nat the mall yesterday, specs say it "resists high power output up to 1,000mW" What does that even mean? It "limits" the power?

Quote:
Nice to see people "wisening up" to better gear.

I don't know. Maybe its that it won't burn out with high wattage input? I don't know if 1 watt is a lot or not. Maybe it needs over 1 watt to drive?

Jan 5, 2013 at 9:12 AM Post #8,027 of 12,415
I saw some SC Aviators finally in my school.

and one of the people I know sports a pair of Sennheiser HD239 and hes proud of it. <Good for him

but that's quite about it.. really..

Jan 5, 2013 at 10:44 AM Post #8,028 of 12,415
Quote:
I don't know. Maybe its that it won't burn out with high wattage input? I don't know if 1 watt is a lot or not. Maybe it needs over 1 watt to drive?

Probably the former, the guy was using it from a portable player.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:59 AM Post #8,029 of 12,415
I was on holiday in Vienna, Austria a few weeks ago and beats solos and studios were everywhere. I must have spotted at least 20 in just one day of walking around through the city.

My girlfriend saw me noticing the headphones and immediately turned "not-spending-any-more-money-on-your-gad-damn-heaphone-addiction" mode ON. I laughed a little and explained I would never go for those.Two weeks later we arrived home and I found myself buying MDR-XB700s just for the fun of it. As you can imagine, I got the "you are completely hopeless" look. To my surprize she stole them from me because they were fun and comfortable and I can't seem to get them back ever since.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:16 PM Post #8,030 of 12,415
Quote:
Saw Sony MDR-ZX300/Nat the mall yesterday, specs say it "resists high power output up to 1,000mW" What does that even mean? It "limits" the power?

It simply means that the headphones can receive up to 1000mW of power and the drivers won't blow out or anything.

Jan 5, 2013 at 2:31 PM Post #8,031 of 12,415
Thats useful as a cheap test phone for untried amplifier circuits. :D

Jan 5, 2013 at 7:27 PM Post #8,032 of 12,415
Quote:
It simply means that the headphones can receive up to 1000mW of power and the drivers won't blow out or anything.

I noticed this before. What a completely useless marketing point. I bet 99.9% of people don't even know what the heck it means in context, and even I have no idea what good it does.

Jan 5, 2013 at 8:56 PM Post #8,033 of 12,415
Quote:

I noticed this before. What a completely useless marketing point. I bet 99.9% of people don't even know what the heck it means in context, and even I have no idea what good it does.

Not to mention 98% of the population has no device to plug a headphone into that would even deliver that much power.

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:32 PM Post #8,034 of 12,415
Quote:

that's not much to brag about seeing as the 99 dollar schitt modi can output 1.5 

Jan 5, 2013 at 11:44 PM Post #8,035 of 12,415
The "best" ear/headphones I've seen in my highschool are Beats and those new apple earphones that come with the iPhone 5, I laugh on the inside whenever I see them compare sound quality between the Beats earphones and the apple ones :p

I did see a guy with Shure SE215s on the train a while back though, and plenty of nice cans and CIEMs at the local audiophile headphone store. Saw a guy buy a pair or LCD-2s, SO JEALOUS :frowning2:

Jan 6, 2013 at 4:31 AM Post #8,036 of 12,415
The "best" ear/headphones I've seen in my highschool are Beats and those new apple earphones that come with the iPhone 5, I laugh on the inside whenever I see them compare sound quality between the Beats earphones and the apple ones :p

I did see a guy with Shure SE215s on the train a while back though, and plenty of nice cans and CIEMs at the local audiophile headphone store. Saw a guy buy a pair or LCD-2s, SO JEALOUS :frowning2:

The earPods aren't terrible. I was actually rather impressed compared to what used to be bundled. I listened to my moms when she got the 5. I was like, hmmm, these actually aren't bad. They aren't great but they are definitely good enough for the average person. If I had to choose between those or buying beats I'd keep my money and use the earPods.

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #8,039 of 12,415
Quote:
Found a pair of Beyer DT 770s pro 600 ohm in my parents' CD cabinet.
"Hey ma! What's up with these headphones?!?"
"Dunno, something your dad got me for my birthday."
"Mind if I borrow them?..."

Lucky you! Seems like your dad knows a thing a two about audio himself. Reminds me of when I listened to one of my favorites cd on my dad's karaoke/stereo setup for the first time, during the beginning stages of my audiophilia (which was not too long ago). I only ever listened to music on my computer before then, so it was a real ear-opener to how good my music could sound.  

Jan 7, 2013 at 1:59 AM Post #8,040 of 12,415
Amongst the sea of Beats and iBuds/Earpods, I saw a guy with the relatively new Sony MDR-X10 phones (the Simon Cowell endorsed ones) at school the other day. I guess that's an improvement over the Beats, although not by much. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back