Headphone Sightings 2
Dec 13, 2012 at 9:58 PM Post #7,953 of 12,415
Here in Gotham (nee NYC), it's amazing that I don't see more people with "decent" cans than I do (hmm...that line could be misinterpreted anyplace other than here...): the most popular are B&W, which I spot with some frequency (and, FWIW, equal distribution by gender). Of course, there's a sea of Beats and Bose numbers.

Only two significant sightings for me thus far: the first, some five months ago, was while waiting for the D train at Columbus Circle late at night. A somewhat out-of-it guy with a guitar case sauntered up to the platform sporting a pair of Senn HD-25 1 Mk II cans. I happened to be listening to mine at the time, and he immediately recognized them, and struck up a conversation that continued after our train arrived. I couldn't shut the guy up, which wasn't necessarily a bad thing, but I was rather worn-out from the day's affairs. Only other person I saw wearing these thus far.

Second Significant Sighting was a few weeks ago, also on the subway (R train to Brooklyn this time...hey, it's a NYC thing): This time it was a guy sporting Beyer DT-1350s. the train was crowded, and we ended up standing next to each other. I spotted him first, then he noticed me (and my HD 25s), and gave a knowing smile and nod. It was almost like a secret handshake. :)

(Might've even been a Head-Fi'er; if you're here, say Hi.)

- Barrett

Dec 13, 2012 at 11:43 PM Post #7,954 of 12,415
Talked to a kid in my English class about audio a bit today, he plans on buying some m50s in the next few months! Also I'm not sure why but wearing gaming headphones seem to be a growing trend at my highschool; I've seen 3 kids wearing crappy gaming headsets O_________________0

Dec 14, 2012 at 12:44 AM Post #7,955 of 12,415
Quote:
Talked to a kid in my English class about audio a bit today, he plans on buying some m50s in the next few months! Also I'm not sure why but wearing gaming headphones seem to be a growing trend at my highschool; I've seen 3 kids wearing crappy gaming headsets O_________________0

convince him to get something better, too many people with M50s
biggrin.gif

Dec 15, 2012 at 1:12 AM Post #7,959 of 12,415
Quote:

I did this back then too.  I figured, well they play music right?

Also while here in Japan, I've seen
-Logitech UE6000
-a few in ear Beats and Solos
-white earbuds (not sure if Apple or not)
-Sony ZX300/ZX600 or whatever it is with the bright colored cables
-various Bose headphones
-I'm not familiar with IEMs, but more people use those.  No one uses full size over ear headphones.  I think the reason is mostly because if you isolate sound too much, you'll get run over by a bike haha

Dec 16, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #7,962 of 12,415
Travelling nowadays, I see ibuds, new and old, various Bose and Beats IEMs, and cans.  No one notices my clear IEMs, or figures I am deaf.  The FitEar 334s, non custom, do have a bit more to show for them.

Best I seen so far on others are some black IEMs (UE I think) on one of the guys from "Shine Down" who was traveling on plane across the aisle and one row back from me back a few years ago.  I do sometimes see some Etys and such, now that they make them for iphones.

I am still waiting to pass through security one day and see HeadphoneAddict on the side with all his stuff spread out.  That was a funny picture he posted awhile (years) back about that incident.

Dec 16, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #7,963 of 12,415
Quote:
Travelling nowadays, I see ibuds, new and old, various Bose and Beats IEMs, and cans.  No one notices my clear IEMs, or figures I am deaf.  The FitEar 334s, non custom, do have a bit more to show for them.

Had this happen to me a couple of hours ago at a shopping centre, the lady thought I deaf when she approached me and I said "WHAT!" because of the noise isolation on my UM3X

Users who are viewing this thread

Back