Headphone Sightings 2
Aug 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #4,771 of 12,415

Quote:
Ahh yes that makes sense. Do I see a TF2 reference? :) I used to be glad that Singapore was relatively beats-free (as of a few months ago, when I generally saw a UM-series or Shure among the mass of unbranded earpieces), but now I can't take a train ride without seeing at least a pair of those. Its even more painful to think that they retail for about 150% of what they do in the US, and these sad people have probably bought them at full retail. But then again, I have seen someone with SE-315s on the train, as well as quite a few Klipsch Image S4s and A-Jays.

Well then, 80% of them Beats you see are most probably "grade AAA" fakes. That I approve. If they bought the real ones and they break, "they gonna have to glue them back together... IN HELL" XD

At least we've got the likes of Stereo and Jaben to test out new babies that washed up on shore :D

Aug 6, 2011 at 10:34 AM Post #4,772 of 12,415
Haha.

Everytime I see someone wearing iems with red cables on the MRT, I look at their ears. It's Beats 90% of the time.
I do see some who use rather unique brands like Nixon and even Bose ones. Bose are usually worn by the working adults,
while teens and people in their early 20s use Beats.

Aug 8, 2011 at 4:45 AM Post #4,774 of 12,415
Sennheiser HD 201's....everywhere in Melbourne. Saw at least 4 young things wearing them today.

Aug 8, 2011 at 12:44 PM Post #4,775 of 12,415
My coworker complimented me on my headphones and immediately recognized them as Grado's. He then proceeded to say that Grado's are expensive and that he has some $300 Sennheiser's at home. Made me wonder what they were. But this tells me there is quite a lot of people who like high end sound. Of course it helps that he builds car stereos as a hobby.

Aug 8, 2011 at 5:39 PM Post #4,778 of 12,415
In Haight-Ashbury area, saw an elderly black male wearing Senn HD280's, an artist trying to sell his CD's wearing ATH M30's, some hipster wearing Grado SR60i's, and a guy in McDonalds using Klipsch S4's.

Aug 8, 2011 at 8:17 PM Post #4,779 of 12,415
I watched Frost/Nixon last night.  A few old headphones that looked like '70s era K240s, but Frost had a pair of Pioneer Monitor 10. 

Aug 8, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #4,780 of 12,415
Sunday commute to MIT's summer program and back, spotted tons of iBuds and one Bose QC2 on the T. Not a single interesting headphone, save what looked like some Ety's(I think) on a runner that was speeding by.
Oh.
If any of you guys see an odd Asian kid with short hair and a black Pioneer HDJ500 or Backbeat 326 connected to a Droid 2 Global, fiddling with the volume controls, it's probably me.
smile_phones.gif

Aug 9, 2011 at 9:34 AM Post #4,781 of 12,415
Some dude's sporting Sennheiser HD 380 Pros at work.  Good closed design for the noisy lab he works in.

Aug 9, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #4,782 of 12,415
So, my friend invites all of his friends to a page that supposedly give free Beats to the first 10,000 fans. Hmmm... Sighting headphones online..

Nuff' said. It's all about the stupid coolness factor these days.

I guess you hear what you want to hear, huh?

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #4,783 of 12,415
Erm, why would someone recommend an HD598 to someone that thinks the Beats are ridiculous? They'd think they're ridiculous...ly bad. It would have been better to direct them to a haters thread. 
rolleyes.gif

I saw some CC51's! 

Aug 9, 2011 at 12:47 PM Post #4,784 of 12,415
Erm, why would someone recommend an HD598 to someone that thinks the Beats are ridiculous? They'd think they're ridiculous...ly bad. It would have been better to direct them to a haters thread. 
rolleyes.gif

I saw some CC51's! 

Ridiculous, in this context, means "OH MAH GAWD THESE ARE FRICKING AMAZING!"

I know him. He thinks Skullcandy's sound great...

Aug 9, 2011 at 1:05 PM Post #4,785 of 12,415

Quote:
Ridiculous, in this context, means "OH MAH GAWD THESE ARE FRICKING AMAZING!"

I know him. He thinks Skullcandy's sound great...

Well, I don't have experience with the HD598 in particular, just the HD595, and I thought they were really lame sounding coming from bassy headphones. Even now, my auditory memory says that they're technically decent, they don't have the "wow" effect most people like when they first use a pair of headphones. Unless the HD598 is drastically more interesting (which it doesn't seem like), your friend might not be too impressed at first listen--maybe by the 3rd he'd learn to appreciate them. Although I've tried every Skullcandy headphone model <$100 produced before this year and they weren't incredibly bassy either. The Skullcrushers were especially disappointing. They had no impact, just mush.

A pair of D2000's would suit him better. Now if only they weren't so expensive lately. A modded pair of RX700 might suit him nicely though. 
L3000.gif
 Well, if he's willing to get past the fact that they're JVC (which apparently isn't "high end" enough. Psh. The DX1000 has some qualms about that.) and slightly unattractive.

Regardless, your friend is pretty gullible. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back