Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 4, 2011 at 12:06 AM Post #2,971 of 12,415
a friend in my class got black solos, but he didn't like it. i am slowly converting him away from those brands.  the problem is most people love bass so they go to the beats by dre brand.  but i told him to get one of the sony xb500s or xb700s, or the shure 750 djs. i mainly see bose, beats, or even the new sony piiq line

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #2,973 of 12,415
I am selling my oh so magical headphones to you now so you may appreciate it as I do. Now I get my artificial sounding K702's and will probably be pissed. XD
But they look cool. 

When I feel the necessity, I brag about my setup (when peeps talk about Bose or Monster or whateverthe****). How it's worth about $500. And they are pretty much like OMGWTFBBQ. Not like "WOW!", but like "He is dumb and spoiled." I wish they could just listen to it. Audio is the only worthy tech cause. Amps and headphones don't "expire" as PC's or cell phones or TV's do. 

But I mention the price because Beats Pros are $400. I listened to them. My current headphones sound better out of my Droid and for half the price. 

Not holier than thou, I know many of your Head-Fi'er spend a lot more $ than I do. 

Spoiled? You DO pay for your own stuff right? And I agree. Audio's basically the only electronic hobby where one could search for a piece of gear from the 60s (like a nice pair of Quads or a Dynaco amp) to use every day. One of the main reasons why most technology interests me and bores me at the same time. Processor speed or newfangled phones is a never-ending arms race that moves pretty slowly but people buy into new stuff too quickly.

Anyways. I saw someone with electrical taped Beats. I didn't know whether to feel bad for the guy or laugh quietly to myself. Mostly the former though. And I didn't know there were red Beats other than the Solos.

Jan 4, 2011 at 12:50 AM Post #2,974 of 12,415
What do you mean pay? I got my original Grado SR225i's as a B-Day present. Add $50 of my money and I got these. I also got the Asgard for Christmas. I paid for the uDac. 
But what I meant is not spoiled but "rich". For some odd reason my friends call me "rich". I by no means consider myself or family rich. It's not that I take it as an insult, but in todays society it almost is, in that it is assumed you (think you) are better than others. I am not. My parents didn't come from money, they work for it. And also it's assumed that I didn't (I don't have a job, not of age). I will admit my family is well off to the point that I have gotten to experience many things that others may not have the opportunity to. (Referring to travel in particular and that only 22% of Americans have a passport). This is because my parents want to expose their children to the world, nothing wrong with that right? 

What I am trying to get at is that I don't like being categorized as rich or spoiled. The word rich almost has decadence implied. I AM NOT PARIS HILTON.

Aimless, pointless, dumb, rant of the day #3. Aarheahtratouippppppp;cjrtucukmqweoiiiiiiiiiiiiiiirl,vw[tpl[lyh

Jan 4, 2011 at 3:56 PM Post #2,975 of 12,415
i just got back to school today and i have already seen 2 people with monster beats. i mentioned my headphones are better and they shook their heads and said i knew nothing about sound quality. i was like you don't know anything though i didn't say that out loud. i have the shure srh750dj headphones and he said they they probably sound like garbage because they look ugly. man people like that are the reason companies like monster get away with this.

Jan 4, 2011 at 4:02 PM Post #2,976 of 12,415
lost my confidence in monster...again...bought a monster pro turbine copper a while back, before i could get a good fit, the shell split so i returned them, recently (11 days ago) I bought a pair of miles davis tributes and honestly, they sounded amazing, sound wise, I felt like they were above many top tier IEM's I had. yesterday, after listening for a couple minutes or so, I removed them because I wanted to fit the phone again because the seal wasn't great, when i inserted the right earpiece into my ear, I realized sound wasn't coming out anymore, the driver had was blown...

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:36 PM Post #2,977 of 12,415

Quote:
i just got back to school today and i have already seen 2 people with monster beats. i mentioned my headphones are better and they shook their heads and said i knew nothing about sound quality. i was like you don't know anything though i didn't say that out loud. i have the shure srh750dj headphones and he said they they probably sound like garbage because they look ugly. man people like that are the reason companies like monster get away with this.

Why dontcha give them a listen to your headphones..they might just be blown away

Jan 4, 2011 at 11:51 PM Post #2,978 of 12,415
more beats and bose in ears... and skullcandy.

I saw someone wearing Ultrasone PRO 900's today, on the mirror.

Jan 5, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #2,979 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:

Why dontcha give them a listen to your headphones..they might just be blown away

i would. i let a few people listen to them. everyone that heard them was blown away by the sound quality. a friend of mine bought some 80$ earbuds he thought were really goodl. he let me listen to them and they sounded like crap. i dont know the brand but it wasnt skullcandy or bose or monster. i think it was a higher end brand. but i let him hear my shures and he was blown away by the sound quality. he gave em back and said he didnt buy those because he wanted portable headphones. but he looked at me and said i wish i bought them though. regarding the guy with beats. i will be honest. i love the look of the beats but they sound bad for the money. i wouldnt be able to let him listen because numbver one. he was treating his beats like garbage. and 2 he probably would say know because he is one of the people who fell victom to mass marketing. i treasure my stuff and i dont want some noob breaking it.

Jan 5, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #2,980 of 12,415

Quote:

At my school today I also saw 2 guys wearing beats studios. I don't really pay attention to them since it's not my money that they wasted. But I feel kinda bad because a lot of guys in my school are interested in getting those headphones. Why can't BestBuy sell better headphones......

Also you should ask your friend what brand those $80 earbuds were.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:07 AM Post #2,981 of 12,415
Within last three weeks some sennheiser eH series and HD2x8, some old full-sized Pioneer and in Vienna K-512 and yellow K-518. Moreover girl with some WESC.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:44 AM Post #2,983 of 12,415
A disappointing four days in London over the new year. Although to be fair there were a lot of Sony MDR-V models (possibly more even than Skullcandy), there wasn't a lot else other than Skullcandy and a few Beats. On the tube I thought I was looking at the shine of a PortaPro, but on closer look it was something else. I recognised the symbol, but I can't relate it to the brand, so probably nothing major. About the most noticeable thing was a single HD 202.

Jan 5, 2011 at 10:16 AM Post #2,984 of 12,415
right now I'm training for tier 1 support for Apple Iphones, so we are allowed to use headphones while reading. The guy two seats from me has some Sony clip on headphones, the other guy right next to me pulls out a green pair of WESC's. Me and the other guy are discussing headphones because he's a budding audiophile like I am. Guy with the WESC's comments about his headphones which I think are overpriced. So Out of no where I pull out my es7's, and half the class goes what are those and damn they shiny. Then I put on some music through the phone I carry and everyone is like damn, these are nice, and me and the guy with the sony's are like meh, they all right.

Jan 5, 2011 at 7:29 PM Post #2,985 of 12,415

Quote:

Quote:
Why can't BestBuy sell better headphones......

Because Beats yield the highest profit margins.

Exactly. Having Best Buy employees on other forums helps. Their price is cost + 5%. They can get the full-size Beats for $120. So it costs Best Buy ~$115, sells for $300. I would be surprised if the Beats cost ~$60 to make, with the greatest amount of cost being the implementation / licensing of the ANC (most likely from Phitek, a NZ company).
I have little doubt that most mid-fi headphones cost sub $100 to manufacture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back