Headphone Sightings 2
Apr 14, 2010 at 6:55 AM Post #2,057 of 12,415
My university is filled with the usual cheapo buds (ipod stock buds, skull candy, etc), a lot of people have the cheap sony headphones.

Today I saw a girl with some Beats by dre on...it was funny since she had to change the batteries (25min bus ride to school). Apparently no sound without batteries in the headphones. There was another guy I saw at the bus station rocking some Senn hd212s.

Apr 14, 2010 at 2:28 PM Post #2,058 of 12,415
Sat beside a girl on the Go bus with AKG k240's on...I had my k518's
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:03 PM Post #2,059 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by hardRAWKR /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well just now I had another cool experience with the teacher who has SR-125's. Today I brought my AD-700's, which he had not heard of or seen before. As with the MS-1's I let him try them out, although this time my iPod was working and I was able to use the E-5 with it.
For the auditon, I played two songs. First Come Together by The Beatles and then Sir Duke by Stevie Wonder. He was very impressed with the bass, surprisingly. I realized that I had the E-5's bass boost on, so I briefly A-B'd with and without the boost. He decided that there wasn't a whole lot of quantity in the bass, but what it has is controlled and strong...pretty consistent with most Head-Fier opinions. After the short audition, he said that he had been specifically listening for soundstage and thought it was very wide with good instrument placement...again a consistent conclusion.
Overall he seemed very impressed. Indeed, this is turning out to be a very good day!

This only makes me more eager to try his SR-125's! I'll mention that that I'm interested in trying them after I post this.
smily_headphones1.gif

UPDATE: He said he'd bring the 125's as well as his noise-cancelling Audio Technicas (not sure what model)!
biggrin.gif

He brought his headphones and yesterday I got to try them out! I was impressed with the SR-125s but not so much with the ATs (they were the ANC7s). So that was fun. I posted a new thread on it so I could stop cluttering up this thread with my posts but no one really payed attention to it.

Anyway, today I saw a kid with MDR V150s. Not too exciting but he did let me try them. They have an enormous amount of bass, and it isn't very clear. I had to turn on my iPod's bass reducer, which is usually overkill on bass-heavy things. After that evened out the frequencies, some nice mids actually came out. Very sibilant and very little to speak of for highs, but properly equalized I'd say they're very good for the price!
:p So that's my latest adventure. Fun stuff.

Apr 14, 2010 at 3:06 PM Post #2,060 of 12,415
I've only every seen one pair of HD215's, terrible college. One kid in my Math's class has a pair of J-jays but doesn't bring them in because they're too expensive... me sitting with some Westone's like... :/

Tom.

Apr 14, 2010 at 11:17 PM Post #2,061 of 12,415
Saw someone with a pair of Grados near my dorm building today. Don't know if they live in the same complex or just passing through. Was in a bit of a rush so I didn't try to talk with him.

They were 60s, 80s, 125s, 225s, or MS1s. Broad, I know, but I couldn't read the numbers!

Apr 15, 2010 at 3:47 AM Post #2,063 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by cyberspyder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sat beside a girl on the Go bus with AKG k240's on...I had my k518's
biggrin.gif

That's quite odd. Semi-open headphones on the bus? I've tried it once and the experience was expectedly awful. Not to mention, I probably unwillingly bothered everyone sitting around me. That, or my phone couldn't drive them up to decent volume anyway.

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:33 AM Post #2,066 of 12,415
I mostly see people around with cheap Sennheisers or sony's

I've seen 2 grado's or so and one other audio technica (I have a m50 myself).

In the 3 months I have them now I've had over 25 people ask what kind of cans they where so that's neat
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 7:40 AM Post #2,067 of 12,415
Living in New York makes me disappointed. I need to look closer but mostly I see people in Brooklyn wearing Beats or if they're hipsters they are probably wearing those retro looking Panisonics. Around Manhattan I mostly see ipod buds or Bose Triports or some Skullcandy cans. I'm sure there are people with nice cans running around, I just need to keep my eyes open and see them.

Apr 15, 2010 at 8:03 AM Post #2,068 of 12,415
All I see around Plymouth (UK) are students wearing either Skullcandy's or WeSC headphones which they sell at the Apple store at Drake Circus. I feel sorry for them!

I do see a lot of Sony MDR-V150 headphones ... by non student types.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back