Headphone Sightings 2
Mar 25, 2010 at 5:01 AM Post #2,011 of 12,415
3 different pairs of monster beats, 1 pair of hd212. pretty large haul today. i notice most people wearing higher end audio at my school are asian. haha

Mar 25, 2010 at 5:54 AM Post #2,012 of 12,415
Some kid in my government class just got the Beats Tour for his iPod. Every day since he got them, he's been telling everyone around him how they're "probably the best earbuds on the market". Ugh.

Mar 25, 2010 at 6:29 AM Post #2,013 of 12,415
The best I've seen in a long while were a pair of koss ur20s. Save that, someone had a pair of jvc gummies...a theoretical upgrade from ibuds.
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 12:53 PM Post #2,014 of 12,415
Beats Studio and Bose headphones are a common sighting at my college. I guess part time jobs, credit cards and lack of knowledge in audio can convince people to buy pieces of junk for $300.

I guess people like to buy names rather than sound!

I rock out on a pair of Sennheiser HD 202, and I've seen them around a few times too. Very decent phones for the price. I'm upgrading to a pair of HD 428 though.

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:42 PM Post #2,015 of 12,415
Well I had an interesting encounter today. It wasn't a sighting by me, but it was actually one of my teachers who saw mine!
So I brought my MS-1's to school today, and in my Seminar my teacher (one of the few that I actually like) noticed I had them, and told me he was surprised to see someone else with Grado headphones. It turns out he has the SR-125's.
He wanted to try them, and I was willing to let him, but unfortunately my iPod was dead. He really wanted hear them though, so he actually borrowed another kid's iPod and used that.
He liked them, but commented that they had less bass than his 125's. I made a comment about the small soundstage, and I guess he's not a huge audiophile because he didn't know what I meant by soundstage. I explained, and he said he didn't think his 125's had a small soundstage. I'm guessing he just hasn't heard anything that actually does have soundstage.
Anyway, it was really cool to find out that someone who I've known for a while is interested in good audio, and even has Grado headphones! Now I'm actually curious to hear what the SR-125's sound like. Maybe sometime I'll get the opportunity to try his out. Probably not. :p

Oh, and also, a few days ago at my Clarinet lesson I noticed my Clarinet instructor had a headphone pre-amp. I already knew she was into audio gear (apparently she worked at a hi-fi store where she was exposed to uber-awesome speakers and learned a lot about hi-fi audio), but it was nice to see some of her gear.

So some cool encounters recently.
biggrin.gif

Mar 25, 2010 at 8:52 PM Post #2,016 of 12,415
I was walking on campus today and saw someone with a pair of Beats and a couple of Skullcandy's........It was great. I really wish someone on my campus had a good pair of headphones. I've never seen anything beyond Beats/Bose/SC and the occasional Sony. On a positive note the music building has a bunch of HD201's in the listening room.

Mar 25, 2010 at 9:03 PM Post #2,017 of 12,415
my school is surprisingly filled with Beats Studios, Bose Triports, Panasonic Retros, Sony Monitor V Series and Sony Extra Basses. I see even more Bose on the way home.

My highschool had several Skullcandy Low Riders, and the 'once in a while' Skullcrusher.

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:30 PM Post #2,018 of 12,415
Around Northeastern University; there was one kid with an AKG K241, one grumpy looking kid with Grado SR-60's around his neck, and an army of folks who consider aviators and SC's a fashion statement. I could have sworn I saw some high nosed kid wearing an Edition 8 once, but I didn't want to get near him in case his pretentiousness was contagious.

What amazed me were the kids on the train. Barring anything below 800Hz, I could hear their music nigh perfectly. So loud I was tempted to say something...

Mar 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM Post #2,019 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by jezz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So loud I was tempted to say something...

... but they wouldn't hear you anyway.

Mar 26, 2010 at 8:32 PM Post #2,020 of 12,415
Yesterday, some guy in the bus was checking out my portable gear. He seemed somewhat interested. I was commuting with a colleague, though, so he didn't say anything. This was the first time somebody noticed my setup. I've never seen anybody else with a portable headphone amp and good IEMs. Lots of people with iBuds again, the last week. One guy with a nice full-sized DJ-style headphone. Don't know what brand, but probably Sony. That was it concerning good 'phones, though. Very unsatisfying week, therefore.

EDIT: There was even this one girl who was wearing fake iBuds. Well, they were generic, cheap looking, white buds. Obviously made to trick people into thinking they're cool for wearing white buds.

Mar 27, 2010 at 7:19 PM Post #2,023 of 12,415
today a guy next to me in the record store "king kong records" in leeuwarden (holland)
with an Portapro 25th plugged in a Clip+, thought it must be an head-fi'er, was just buying some LP's

Mar 30, 2010 at 11:24 PM Post #2,025 of 12,415
Today I went into a store and could have sworn I saw some guy wearing some Koss PortaPro's. As I went to checkout, it was just a bluetooth headset. Stupid me.

I always find it interesting to see what kind of headphones my favorite musicians wear. I saw a behind the scenes movie of my favorite Japanese singer and I was a bit disappointed to find out that she was using some ultra cheap $20 Sony headphones! Not a big deal, but it was kind of funny. I don't know why or how musicians can do that. But I guess if they're good, who cares about the price.

I also find it funny how I always see NBA players ONLY wearing Monster headphones. I think Monster pays them (not that I care or think anything is wrong with that!). There's just no way so many of them could be wearing the same exact headphones! Some day i'd like to see Kobe Bryant walk in with some Grado Sr-80s!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back