Headphone Sightings 2
Jul 22, 2009 at 10:25 PM Post #1,563 of 12,415
Sat down next to a guy wearing Grado SR80's on the bus. I got his attention and asked him where he got his headphones from - apparently from a Hi-Fi store downtown. "These cost me about $400" he said. My jaw dropped open momentarily, and he gave me a smug look before going back to his music.

I thought about telling him that he could get a pair of 325i's for that price, but thought better of it, and listened to some John Adams for the next 20 minutes. I guess just because a person has good headphones doesn't necessarily mean that they're informed.

Jul 22, 2009 at 11:36 PM Post #1,566 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Berlioz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sat down next to a guy wearing Grado SR80's on the bus. I got his attention and asked him where he got his headphones from - apparently from a Hi-Fi store downtown. "These cost me about $400" he said. My jaw dropped open momentarily, and he gave me a smug look before going back to his music.

I thought about telling him that he could get a pair of 325i's for that price, but thought better of it, and listened to some John Adams for the next 20 minutes. I guess just because a person has good headphones doesn't necessarily mean that they're informed.

That's a killer margin even for a high street store.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:09 AM Post #1,568 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by paulb09 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
That's a killer margin even for a high street store.

Yeah that goes a long way to explain why people consider the DreBeats and Bose QCs good value.

Jul 23, 2009 at 12:17 AM Post #1,569 of 12,415
Took a trip into San Francisco yesterday, saw a whole collection:

(4) Bose Triports (that i could see, im sure there were more)
(1) custom earphone. Could have been UE, JH, im not sure, but they looked a lot like the UE10s and JH13s that i have had
(1) Grado sr225
(1) Audio-Technica AD700
(1) Audio-Technica A700
(1) Ultrasone headphone. Im really bad at telling the types apart, but it was shiny, and looked to be on the upper end of the Ultrasone line.

It was a fun day. I was disappointed not to see any Denons, which are some of my favorite phones and a common sight for me, but nonetheless, a few nice headphones out there.

Jul 23, 2009 at 2:59 AM Post #1,570 of 12,415
Saw a guy on the metro today wearing some sort of IEM that had a clear casing and was clearly supposed to be worn over the ear (maybe the UM1?)

He probably thought he would look cooler by not wearing it over the ear, but to me, he looked like an idiot...

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:40 PM Post #1,571 of 12,415
I've never seen a nice pair of headphones in Edmonton
frown.gif
. Mostly Monster Turbines, Apple In-Ear, Dre Buds, a million Bose Triport/Sennheiser CX300's, and one pair of iGrado's.

Jul 24, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #1,572 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by AmanGeorge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Saw a guy on the metro today wearing some sort of IEM that had a clear casing and was clearly supposed to be worn over the ear (maybe the UM1?)

He probably thought he would look cooler by not wearing it over the ear, but to me, he looked like an idiot...

You Shure it wasn't just an SCL2 or E2c?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back