Headphone Sightings 2
May 3, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #916 of 12,415
Two Senn sightings the other day--someone on the bus to campus wearing PX100's and someone in the library wearing HD 280 Pro's.

May 3, 2008 at 1:14 PM Post #917 of 12,415
saw some guy on campus in front of mech eng building with porta pros. They were much smaller than i had expected

May 3, 2008 at 1:54 PM Post #918 of 12,415
not really a headphone sighting but I was down at my local computer shop picking up a new keyboard and I saw someone wearing an AKG t-shirt. Asked him about it, said he wasn't really into the headphones but was all about their mics. Still, what a surprise!

...and now I want one of those shirts.

May 3, 2008 at 2:05 PM Post #919 of 12,415
In the last week I saw a guy wearing a Senn HD215 and a girl with an AKG K146P / K27i. I was wearing my K81DJ at the time but I'm not sure she saw me.

Oh, I also saw that guy with the HD595 again. I seriously don't know how he can listen to them on those trains. The first ones I take are fine, but those ones (which are on my second route) are diesel powered or something and are ridiculously noisy. I have to turn my K81 up quite a bit to hear properly, let alone such an open 'phone.

May 3, 2008 at 9:18 PM Post #921 of 12,415
I've been in New York for about nine months now, and I can say conclusively that there are far fewer good headphones on the streets here than there are in Berlin. I did see an old man in the West Village wearing KSC-75 yesterday, and a few weeks ago some kid who thought he was cool wearing K240S on the street powered straight out of an ipod (silly hipsters). I've seen businessmen wearing B&O A8, and of course scads of those awful sony or bose headphones that people buy who evidently don't consulting the internet before making a purchase. I saw a pretty girl wearing HD25-1 in Brooklyn, that was impressive.

But most commonly when you see good headphones in this town it's high-end IEMs, which someone with a keen eye can see on the subway constantly, in the ears of the most varied sorts of people. I haven't noticed any customs yet, but I've seen top models from nearly every IEM maker.

May 4, 2008 at 12:10 AM Post #922 of 12,415
well, obviously you are more likely to see iems outside. few people want to wear huge headphones outside, not just because of looks, but because its annoying. iems are just easier.

May 4, 2008 at 12:45 AM Post #923 of 12,415
I see all kinds of phones on the N train going form Brooklyn uptown.

Last Week was especially interesting: iGrado, SR-125, a ton of IEMs, woody Denons, a few AKG K something and finally a girl had ER-4, the old red and blue kind and she licked em before inserting.
biggrin.gif

May 4, 2008 at 1:14 AM Post #924 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by Faust2D /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see all kinds of phones on the N train going form Brooklyn uptown.

Last Week was especially interesting: iGrado, SR-125, a ton of IEMs, woody Denons, a few AKG K something and finally a girl had ER-4, the old red and blue kind and she licked em before inserting.
biggrin.gif

Mmmmmm KINKY!!!

May 4, 2008 at 1:19 AM Post #925 of 12,415
Quote:

Originally Posted by gautam /img/forum/go_quote.gif
well, obviously you are more likely to see iems outside. few people want to wear huge headphones outside, not just because of looks, but because its annoying. iems are just easier.

obvious to people in uptight and/or convenience-obsessed countries like the US or UK, but not to the audio-obsessed Germans or Japanese, to the kids in Hong Kong or Singapore, or to the denizens of any architecture or design school, where full-size headphones rule even on the street.

May 4, 2008 at 11:26 AM Post #926 of 12,415
Yeah all the girls I've seen wearing anything above the size of buds or IEMs have looked pretty. I've not usually been put off by people wearing portable sized headphones (guys or girls). In fact, the Koss Porta Pro looks so much better on people's heads than I could ever have imagined it would looking at pictures of it
tongue.gif

Also, I've found I don't get many weird looks at all wearing my K81s. Okay, so I don't wear them outside so often (my work trip is around half an hour, but that's still not really long enough for me to bother so I don't usually wear them unless I miss a train and have to wait for ages), but people either don't look much or keep their staring safe to when I'm not looking
tongue.gif

May 7, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #927 of 12,415
Yet another sighting on bus back from campus... someone wearing Senn HD500's

May 8, 2008 at 3:29 AM Post #928 of 12,415
I'm a high school headfier! I dont usually see any head-fi people around my school either. Too many bose triports.. One guy I know uses Sony sound canceling headphones, but they cant be over $100.

People drop their jaws when i tell them how much my SE530s cost. Just wait till they ask about my Freq Shows... or UE11 pros if my ebay business goes well.

P.S. its better without a whole crowd of head-fi girls. I like my girls to be girls;dancing in short skirts listening to their earbuds, not in slacks listening to a pair of huge HD650s..

May 11, 2008 at 5:23 AM Post #929 of 12,415
damn where are all the head-fi people in portland that use trimet? all I see are the ibuds, over the ear things, a few sony IEM and a couple skullcandys.

I usually use my vibes but if I'm on max I'll bust out my amp and 770's.

May 11, 2008 at 6:58 AM Post #930 of 12,415
During my four month coop in toronto, i saw a pair of portapros (on some old guy), some se530s, at 500s, sr 60s, and more sony headphones than I can remember. I also saw a girl wearing some hd 555's, but she caught me checking out her cans.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back