Headphone Sightings 2
Oct 27, 2014 at 12:55 AM Post #11,434 of 12,415
AKG K240s and a ton of classic Beyers:

I can't really call myself a fan of Rage Against the Machine but this is just awseome!  Link to their kick starter so they can make an album:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/844957864/tantamount-an-album-of-orchestral-covers-of-popula

Doesn't look like they're going to make their goal for money but there are some other covers on there too.

Oct 29, 2014 at 3:58 PM Post #11,435 of 12,415
I saw someone wearing a pair of Grado's last year, quite a few M-50's this year, and a couple of Momentums. Never anything more spectacular than that. Always on the lookout though! Guess University of Guelph isn't much of an audiophile campus.

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:01 PM Post #11,436 of 12,415
A friend of mine (who is getting into audio and knows about Head-Fi and the reddit audiophile forums) got ATH-CKX5iS from his brother. I tried them out, and the sound signature was great, but vocals seemed odd. Something was missing or wrong about them. Their bass, which was in no way overpowering, was good. He's looking at full-sized headphones now. He said he was looking at Grados but asked about comfort, and I said the general consensus around here was that they were uncomfortable but that he should look at some reviews to see for himself. I told him about HD598s and a few others that were within his price range and are often recommended here. I'll have him as obsessive about this stuff as I am soon enough...

Oct 29, 2014 at 5:31 PM Post #11,437 of 12,415
A friend of mine (who is getting into audio and knows about Head-Fi and the reddit audiophile forums) got ATH-CKX5iS from his brother. I tried them out, and the sound signature was great, but vocals seemed odd. Something was missing or wrong about them. Their bass, which was in no way overpowering, was good. He's looking at full-sized headphones now. He said he was looking at Grados but asked about comfort, and I said the general consensus around here was that they were uncomfortable but that he should look at some reviews to see for himself. I told him about HD598s and a few others that were within his price range and are often recommended here. I'll have him as obsessive about this stuff as I am soon enough...
well, if he can afford a bit more for an amp (assuming he is already using a decent audio player, he doesn't need a DAC... For now) then I'll suggest the AKG K612, or if he likes brighter cans the Q701. They are mid-fi cans with a massive soundstage and lots of detail in case you haven't looked into them. (also known for being hard to drive to full potential. Tube amps work best with them.) Imo, they leave the HD598 in the dust.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:07 PM Post #11,438 of 12,415
well, if he can afford a bit more for an amp (assuming he is already using a decent audio player, he doesn't need a DAC... For now) then I'll suggest the AKG K612, or if he likes brighter cans the Q701. They are mid-fi cans with a massive soundstage and lots of detail in case you haven't looked into them. (also known for being hard to drive to full potential. Tube amps work best with them.) Imo, they leave the HD598 in the dust.

I myself have looked into getting a Q701 with the Vali, but decided I don't use headphones enough at home to spend $300 on a home setup. He's only got a $175 budget, and was first looking into the ATH-M50x for portable use. I'll ask him what his preferred sound signature is tomorrow when I see him, and what music he listens to.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:39 PM Post #11,439 of 12,415
I myself have looked into getting a Q701 with the Vali, but decided I don't use headphones enough at home to spend $300 on a home setup. He's only got a $175 budget, and was first looking into the ATH-M50x for portable use. I'll ask him what his preferred sound signature is tomorrow when I see him, and what music he listens to.

Wait a little. RockJaw Acero 2, I have a feeling they will be better than many sub $200 headphone by looking at their IEMs, RockJaw seem to be doing a great job handling it. Hopefully the same for Acero 2. But not sure when thought.

Oct 29, 2014 at 6:53 PM Post #11,440 of 12,415
Depending on where he is, VModa M-80s can be found new for 100-140 USD. Which, if I was looking for closed portables, would be my budget recommendation. 

Saw some smoke/translucent custom iems on the Blue line this morning. No idea of maker. Dude looked asleep (or really into his music, so I left him alone).

Oct 29, 2014 at 7:26 PM Post #11,441 of 12,415
Somebody at my mother's work knows about quality. She works from home doing customer service and just got sent a brand new Sennheiser CC 520 to use. Not exactly audiophile but still a Sennheiser sighting.

Oct 29, 2014 at 10:28 PM Post #11,443 of 12,415
  I see Sennheiser all the time in Sydney, but its always the HD 201 or 202.
Should I feel bad for them? In this bracket they are just buying the brand right? 

You're joking, right? Even at that price range, Sennheiser makes decent cans. They're great entry-level cans, although for the package you do get what you pay for.

Oct 30, 2014 at 1:12 AM Post #11,444 of 12,415
Wait a little. RockJaw Acero 2, I have a feeling they will be better than many sub $200 headphone by looking at their IEMs, RockJaw seem to be doing a great job handling it. Hopefully the same for Acero 2. But not sure when thought.

Billson, you did an impression/review on the Rock Jaw Alpha Genus right? How do they sound to you? I'm asking because I have some questions about my Kommand

Oct 30, 2014 at 10:43 AM Post #11,445 of 12,415
M-100 and Parrot Zik on my train and walk. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back