Headphone Sightings 2
Dec 19, 2011 at 7:52 AM Post #5,837 of 12,415

Quote:
Hong Kong near the MTR station nearest the convention/exhibition center, it's called "Wan Chai Computer Center" I think. Third floor, there are some rows of audio stores near the back. I spotted it when I saw the DT990 on display on a Beyer amp, and the HD800 behind glass (which they'll let you demo if you ask). They had DT880s also but just the 32 ohm version, which they let me try.

Note that not all of the headphones I mentioned are on display, but just carried by them behind glass. However they let me demo the HD800s when I asked so I'm sure others are possible too. The Grados and D2000s and a ton of other lower end headphones (Aviators etc. and lower range audiophile headphones which I'm less interested in) were demo-able in a store right next to it which had lots of portable headphone amps and misc audiophile products.

mingo and the shop next to mingo i went there as well :p i saw the dt990 on an amp but didnt dare to try it

Dec 19, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #5,839 of 12,415
Spotted a guy commuting in the same train... wearing AKG K301... yeah, they still exist. Plus, what was he smoking to take this can with its long cord, fully open sound and silly red colors in public?

Trains are... quite silent I guess and it's cool to let everyone hear which "awesome" song you are hearing at max volume. Thank you dear sir...

Dec 19, 2011 at 1:51 PM Post #5,841 of 12,415

Quote:
On Friday a black gentleman saw me with my LCD-2s and noted that he's never seen them before and referenced Beats as something he sees a lot.  I explained that they were my LCD-2s, expensive, and recommended that he get a pair of Audio Technica's rather than Beats due to price.

Quick question for you: Do you wear your LCD-2's out in public? I know a few people around here that wear full size open backed headphones and while I can see why some people would want to do this I fail to see how you could carry them around in public with a decent enough portable setup. Plus, they're open back, so it would be pretty loud, since I have tried with my HD650's. I could be totally wrong, interested to know how and where you carry yours around. If it's at a quiet place out in public then I rest my case.

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #5,842 of 12,415
Dec 19, 2011 at 2:47 PM Post #5,843 of 12,415
I don't wear anything in public ever really, I just don't see the need to really listen to music while out in public, probably mostly because I don't have a long commute or anything like that.

But that said, what's the big deal about wearing open headphones outside? I would think adverse weather conditions etc. apply badly to closed headphones similarly, although certainly I wouldn't want dust to get inside the headphone etc. Presumably though if you're going to wear headphones outside, you'll avoid rainy dusty areas. So in that case, why not?

Dec 19, 2011 at 2:54 PM Post #5,844 of 12,415

Quote:
Quick question for you: Do you wear your LCD-2's out in public? I know a few people around here that wear full size open backed headphones and while I can see why some people would want to do this I fail to see how you could carry them around in public with a decent enough portable setup. Plus, they're open back, so it would be pretty loud, since I have tried with my HD650's. I could be totally wrong, interested to know how and where you carry yours around. If it's at a quiet place out in public then I rest my case.

I was in Family Dollar at the time, and just had it hooked up to my 120 gB Zune.  It was moderately quiet, and the sound wasn't bad (relative to my LCD-2s hooked up to my Nuforce) for a no-amp, no-dac set-up.

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:01 PM Post #5,845 of 12,415
I wear 'phones out and about fairly often.  Usually my Beyer DT1350s these days.  If I'm just walking around, shopping, or grabbing a bite to eat I'm usually just listening to podcasts.  I usually don't bother listening to music with them or getting out my amp unless I'm going to sitting still for a while.

It may be overkill to listen to podcasts with $300 'phones, but I've already got them for music, I already carry them around with me, and they've got great isolation so why use something else?

Dec 19, 2011 at 3:03 PM Post #5,846 of 12,415

Even I used HE-300s and Grados outside. It's not so bad.. and I actually prefer it since I can hear my surroundings.
Quote:
I don't wear anything in public ever really, I just don't see the need to really listen to music while out in public, probably mostly because I don't have a long commute or anything like that.

But that said, what's the big deal about wearing open headphones outside? I would think adverse weather conditions etc. apply badly to closed headphones similarly, although certainly I wouldn't want dust to get inside the headphone etc. Presumably though if you're going to wear headphones outside, you'll avoid rainy dusty areas. So in that case, why not?

Dec 19, 2011 at 6:58 PM Post #5,848 of 12,415

Quote:
I wear 'phones out and about fairly often.  Usually my Beyer DT1350s these days.  If I'm just walking around, shopping, or grabbing a bite to eat I'm usually just listening to podcasts.  I usually don't bother listening to music with them or getting out my amp unless I'm going to sitting still for a while.

It may be overkill to listen to podcasts with $300 'phones, but I've already got them for music, I already carry them around with me, and they've got great isolation so why use something else?

Ah, I can totally wear headphones out around in public that are closed back, I'm talking about wearing them outside when they are a open back headphone. If they are closed back headphones, then that makes total sense, but open back headphones are mean to be used inside in a quiet area, no?

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:06 PM Post #5,849 of 12,415
Quote:
Ah, I can totally wear headphones out around in public that are closed back, I'm talking about wearing them outside when they are a open back headphone. If they are closed back headphones, then that makes total sense, but open back headphones are mean to be used inside in a quiet area, no?

I used to do the same thing with my KSC-75s which are open before I got my DT1350.  I don't like walking around with my SE530s because I'm worried abut them getting damaged.

Dec 19, 2011 at 7:49 PM Post #5,850 of 12,415

Quote:
I used to do the same thing with my KSC-75s which are open before I got my DT1350.  I don't like walking around with my SE530s because I'm worried abut them getting damaged.

I get what you mean, sort of. When you say you are afraid of your Se530's getting damaged, what do you exactly mean by that? them dropping out of your ear and falling to the concrete? The cable coming ripped out? I've dropped my Ortofon's on the carpet once, but I'd be more afraid of dropping a pair of DT1350's mainly due to the fact that the aluminum could become scratched and nicked.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back