Headphone Sightings 2
May 1, 2011 at 2:30 AM Post #4,441 of 12,415

Quote:
my main reason for going into the over $100 range of headphones was that i wanted some good sound quality and durability, but at the time i thought monster beats and bose were the best available at best buy, i even thought that they were the best available ever. so i figured the beats solos would be epic, especially since they were going for $219 in canada(they were on sale for $129.99 though), back then i seriously thought the more you paid the better you got, by that logic the beats pros would sound better then my shures which i know now isn't true. one of my main reasons for spending a lot other then durability and sound quality was bragging rights. i wanted to show off my gear and show people what expensive gear sounded like. my main reason for not getting the beats solo's was not actually the sound quality at the time, i looked at the consumer rating out of 5, it was a 3.4/5 rating while my shures were at 4.8/5. i read the reviews and everyone was complaining about the beats snapping on them and breaking easily. that immediately put me off. it wasn't until i read the shure review did i realize they were better for the money and more durable. so i picked them up. so i am sort of an intelligent consumer but at the same time i almost fell for the hype. if i didn't have internet to research it i would most likely bought the beats solo's. glad i didn't though. i just have a tendency to read on things before i blow my money.

ps on a side note i didn't know about head-fi yet, right after i bought my cans i joined head-fi.

also on the topic of headphone sightings how can people spot iems. they practically all look the same to me, the only iems i can spot are generally beats iems, but then again they are usually all red or something. the cord is a huge give away and i spotted some beats tours and lil beats(correct me if i got that wrong) at school yesterday. the person who owned the lil beats looked kind of like it was nothing special.

EDIT: they are ibeats not lil beats.

All I meant was that most people don't do that kind of research, and just buy Beats for style and buy the SQ propaganda. 
Anyway, on the topic of IEM sightings, I'll usually spot the cord from a ways off, then slowly get closer (like a creeper) to get a better look. you can tell iBuds and JVC's from a mile off, and Skullcandies too (because of the color schemes and that stupid skull). Anything else you just have to get really close and ID it. I try to be surreptitious about it though, so they don't run away. :D

May 1, 2011 at 5:02 AM Post #4,444 of 12,415
Over the past week or two, I've seen a few nice headphones when I was walking to class. I saw Denon D1000/D1100, idk which one. I saw xb500's(a bunch, they seem popular), and a porta pro. Oh and guess what, more beats and a beats pro :O

May 1, 2011 at 6:49 AM Post #4,446 of 12,415
Yeah, even if you're not a fan of Apple products, they stock some pretty good phones there. B&W P5, Klipsch S4 and such, some of the lower end Etymotics, a bunch of Sennheiser phones etc.

May 4, 2011 at 10:51 AM Post #4,448 of 12,415
Saw some Diddy Beats yesterday... then on cbsAtlanta this morning.  The moronic talking-head was RAVING about how awesome they are.  I changed the channel, because this news outlet obviously can't be trusted.

May 4, 2011 at 12:43 PM Post #4,450 of 12,415
Yeah, nothing significant for me too. I've seen PortaPros, a few Sennheiser PX100s, Sennheiser HD202s, a bunch of cheapos (usually under the names "Genius" or "Defender", I think that is generic stuff with different labels) and a whole bunch of stock buds for the last month or so.

May 4, 2011 at 11:09 PM Post #4,452 of 12,415
A really cute girl with beats solo's (white).
frown.gif
Poor girl, i wish i could save her.

May 5, 2011 at 12:37 PM Post #4,454 of 12,415
That story goes here

Fun thread.
Quote:
ya know, this could not be considered spotting... but... i offered to a beat-skullcandy girl to try my sennheiser hd380pro (which are somewhere mid end) and she said that they sound all the way superior to beats or skullcandy.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back