Headphone Sightings 2
Jan 15, 2011 at 7:14 PM Post #3,077 of 12,415

Quote:
Saw a high school student on the street corner wearing a set of Sony MDR-F1s yesterday.  It was a bit surprising.

Hate to be judgmental, but my first thought was probably 'borrowed' from the parents. That's what I would've done at that age.

Jan 15, 2011 at 7:15 PM Post #3,078 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I saw these headphones on the train I couldn't identify.  They were big, circumaural, with big (p)leather pads, really oversized in every way.  Everything looked beefy, almost comically so.  The color was unusual, as they were primary colors - yellow, blue, and red.  They looked well made and the person wearing them was a middle aged man, but because of the color and the big look, they looked like they were from Fisher Price.  Anybody seen anything like this?

Most likely WESCs.

Nope Skullcandy's is my bet

They don't have 'Fisher Price' designs tbh.

Jan 15, 2011 at 9:27 PM Post #3,080 of 12,415
      Quote:
I have spotted a few pairs of ATH-M50's on trains and such lately, which I thought was odd. Then I discovered that Audio Technica have opened a flagship store in a shopping centre in Sydney, (I live in sydney), and now it all makes sense.

You should visit that store. All of their listening stations are hooked up with Burson HA-160D's :D

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #3,081 of 12,415

Quote:

Quote:
Saw a high school student on the street corner wearing a set of Sony MDR-F1s yesterday.  It was a bit surprising.

Hate to be judgmental, but my first thought was probably 'borrowed' from the parents. That's what I would've done at that age.

Quote:
At that age I'd have a uDac>Asgard>K702.

Oh yeah.

I do.

I have to agree with dogwan. If it were K701's I'd probably argue that he did his research, but the F1's are really off the beaten path (even though I really want a pair, but that's different.)

And so what about your gear haha? It's pretty average for teens that are really into this hobby. Heck, I'm 16 and this summer I'm building a pair of speakers that cost $3300 retail (Well the site says $6300, but that's an Invicta-esque retail price) and an amp that cost about $3000 retail. (Actual parts costs will end up only around $500, but just to make an outlandish counterpoint.
very_evil_smiley.gif
)

Anyways, I was at a fencing meet with about 250 teens. I saw 2 Beats, 1 pair of Skullcrushers, a random pair of green Sentry's, and wait for it...a T51 laying around with nothing connected to it. Oh, and my teammate was raving about his Sony NC7's saying they're the best around. I happened to have my Coppers on the bench, and he sees them and comments on how Monster sucks. So I let him try them, and he just says nothing.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #3,082 of 12,415
Yeah, I suppose you're right. But come on, for someone without a job or supportive parents, not bad eh? XD

What speakers and amp are you building? I am thinking about building a pair of speakers myself. Starting with HiVi B3's and PVC pipes. haha

In the long run, I want to build a pair of Jordan VTL's. 

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:28 PM Post #3,083 of 12,415

Quote:
Yeah, I suppose you're right. But come on, for someone without a job or supportive parents, not bad eh? XD

What speakers and amp are you building? I am thinking about building a pair of speakers myself. Starting with HiVi B3's and PVC pipes. haha

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZOB.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt7/f5.html

Both developers are extremely open to the DIY community. Mr. Deckard provides blueprints for the ZOB's, and Mr. Pass, well he's self explanatory.

And my parents were totally unsupportive of my headphone hobby until the Monster, Fanny Wang crew and the guys at MEElectronics asked me to review stuff. Now they can brag about me.
wink_face.gif

My dad doesn't mind the speakers and amp though, since it's going to be a bonding thing, and because it's a bonding thing, I only have to pay for half. I'm totally on my own for headphones though.

Jan 15, 2011 at 10:57 PM Post #3,086 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:
I've seen both. Good luck on them.

I want to build Jordan VTLs and a K12G. Then I'll be set. Now to conjure up some funds...

How do you get to be a reviewer? Do you just email them?

ditto. Although I doubt you'll divulge your secrets

No, it involved some secret rain dance for a few drought plagued countries and fluffy animals.
wink_face.gif

Honestly, luck. Like I've said a few times, I was lucky enough to be picked for Monster's MTPC review giveaway, and I absolutely love writing and went all out, and made a 15 page (single spaced) review for them. Then Joker posted a link for MEElectronics having a review pair giveaway for the M9's and I was one of the chosen people because of the MTPC reivew, and I made a pretty good review with them (IMO at least.) with a bit of a uniqueness. I just so happened to have a good number of tips from other IEM's, so I added a part with comparisons of how different tips change the sound. And with Fanny Wang, that probably involved the most luck. I'm pretty sure I was just the first person that actually had legitimate reviews that emailed them. With Phiaton, the MTPC and M9 reviews must have impressed them.

So yeah, it's just totally luck and eloquence for the most part in my case, and a few others'. That, or just extreme respect or dedication to the community like Joker or ClieOS.

I made a half assed DT220 review first actually, and I guess Monster liked that, so they chose me.

I wouldn't be averse to an email, but I can't promise anything at all, especially if you don't have epic reviews out yet.

The most ironic part is that I didn't plan on getting into IEM's at all. I assumed that the differences weren't that appreciable, but now that I have at least 7 pairs of IEM's on me right now (and a couple Brainwavz brothers that came with the N2 my parents gifted me for Xmas since my dad wanted my current DAP since he seems to dislike the sound of my sister's clip or something.) and I don't think I've been more wrong about anything in audio ever. Sure, the Coppers aren't 5 times better than the CC51 (which are no slouch at all btw. I'd more than be happy if they were my only IEM forever.), but there's still a pretty big difference between the two.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:05 PM Post #3,088 of 12,415

Quote:
Arghafojpogbvjpohy.

...?

Oh, and on topic, I saw some green Phillips earbuds and Marshmallows. And a pair of HD428's at the meet that I somehow forgot to post.

Jan 15, 2011 at 11:53 PM Post #3,089 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:

http://www.decware.com/newsite/ZOB.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/firstwatt7/f5.html

Both developers are extremely open to the DIY community. Mr. Deckard provides blueprints for the ZOB's, and Mr. Pass, well he's self explanatory.

And my parents were totally unsupportive of my headphone hobby until the Monster, Fanny Wang crew and the guys at MEElectronics asked me to review stuff. Now they can brag about me.
wink_face.gif

My dad doesn't mind the speakers and amp though, since it's going to be a bonding thing, and because it's a bonding thing, I only have to pay for half. I'm totally on my own for headphones though.

My parents aren't at all supportive of my audiophilia, but my dad offered to help me with a SSMH amp because he said "it would be a cool electronics project." Fortunately, they never notice when I buy new headphones or IEMs, so they don't actually know how much I spend 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Jan 16, 2011 at 12:02 AM Post #3,090 of 12,415

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I've seen both. Good luck on them.

I want to build Jordan VTLs and a K12G. Then I'll be set. Now to conjure up some funds...

How do you get to be a reviewer? Do you just email them?

ditto. Although I doubt you'll divulge your secrets

No, it involved some secret rain dance for a few drought plagued countries and fluffy animals.
wink_face.gif

Honestly, luck. Like I've said a few times, I was lucky enough to be picked for Monster's MTPC review giveaway, and I absolutely love writing and went all out, and made a 15 page (single spaced) review for them. Then Joker posted a link for MEElectronics having a review pair giveaway for the M9's and I was one of the chosen people because of the MTPC reivew, and I made a pretty good review with them (IMO at least.) with a bit of a uniqueness. I just so happened to have a good number of tips from other IEM's, so I added a part with comparisons of how different tips change the sound. And with Fanny Wang, that probably involved the most luck. I'm pretty sure I was just the first person that actually had legitimate reviews that emailed them. With Phiaton, the MTPC and M9 reviews must have impressed them.

So yeah, it's just totally luck and eloquence for the most part in my case, and a few others'. That, or just extreme respect or dedication to the community like Joker or ClieOS.

I made a half assed DT220 review first actually, and I guess Monster liked that, so they chose me.

That's really cool. I've never won anything from any giveaways, but I alway enter them.

Quote:
My parents aren't at all supportive of my audiophilia, but my dad offered to help me with a SSMH amp because he said "it would be a cool electronics project." Fortunately, they never notice when I buy new headphones or IEMs, so they don't actually know how much I spend 
very_evil_smiley.gif

Wow, your story is almost exactly the same as mine. My Dad paid for half of my Minimax when I told him "I'd like to purchase one really nice amp and be done with all this audiophile stuff". Needless to say that didn't last long. I also have my own paypal, bank account, and debit card. They let me purchase whatever I want.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back