Headphone Sightings 2
Sep 2, 2010 at 6:04 AM Post #2,326 of 12,415

Quote:
one day i will completely read this whole thread. anyway, here are my sightings: thousands of ibuds, one dr dre studios, and one portapro (which i convinced my friend into buying.) i would probably have a heart attack if i ever saw a grado or sennheiser in public.

You couldn't really wear grados in public because of them being open, all you'd accomplish would be annoying the people around you and having your listening experience ruined by all the outside noise. I think that's probably a big reason why you've never seen them.

Sep 2, 2010 at 1:50 PM Post #2,327 of 12,415

Quote:
You couldn't really wear grados in public because of them being open, all you'd accomplish would be annoying the people around you and having your listening experience ruined by all the outside noise. I think that's probably a big reason why you've never seen them.

How about an HD800 at Philly's Steve Prince of steaks with a funky pair of suunglasses on. It was an Alien named Baka1969

Sep 3, 2010 at 10:48 PM Post #2,328 of 12,415
Ok, this may or may not count as a sighting. At my local Best Buy today, I was shocked and ecstatic to behold a pair of the venerable, the revered, the (practically) worshiped PortaPros! I stood mesmerized as I looked on the somewhat frail-looking form that hovered before me. I gently touched the fabric-covered cord with sweaty nervous fingers. With fire in my eyes, I donned the classic 'phones as countless thousands have done over the past 26 years. I plugged the headphones into my Zune HD and pressed play. Oh glory! Oh revelation! The heavenly places opened, and I my ears beheld the vocalizations of countless angelic beings! How will I be able to live without this extraordinary device? How will I experience the joy of music ever again without a shiny new pair of Portapros permanently affixed to my head? Alas, I must, for there were none in stock, with little hope of more arriving. FAIL (but I will order them online).

On a happier note, I was pleased to see that the above store now carries Sennheiser HD 201, HD 428, and CX 300 II, as well as Ultimate Ears MetroFi 170 and 220 and Kilpsch Image S2 and S4, and more, all of which it did not have a year ago.

Other 'phones I have seen:
Unit mate 1: Ultimate Ears MetroFi 220
Unit mate 2: Sennheiser CX 300 II
Guy in my writing for electronic media class: Klipsch Image S2

Sep 4, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #2,329 of 12,415

Quote:

I saw a photo of a well known SC2 gamer who studies philosophy here.  I approve of the HD595s he was sporting. 

=P A bunch of the early programers looked like they were wearing sennheiser hd201's.  With pringle's stickers on them.  But they were sponsored and I think a few of them were wearing their own headphones underneath.  Unfortunately nothing at my school.  Most people buy headphones for different reasons nowadays, my good friend who is a music enthusiast but not an audiophile told me he heard some $100 headphones that sounded better than the 200+ beats by dre, but he still wants the beats anyways.

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:09 PM Post #2,330 of 12,415
nothing at my school. just a bunch of skullcandys. but on my recent trip to japan i went to a big electronics store (6 floors of electronics!) and i saw the biggest array of japanese brand headphones. audio technica, denon, victor (jvc), sony and even some sennheiser. There were about 5 shelves full of "audiophile grade" headphones all hooked up to audio technica hp amps. they were even conveniently placed in different sections each labelled with genres! im pretty sure i saw sony qualias on the shelf but those are discontinued
confused_face_2.gif

Sep 5, 2010 at 6:22 PM Post #2,331 of 12,415
Earcandy in ears.  My daughter.  She told me she won three pairs.  She also told me that they have some very nice highend models.......i just smiled and told her about the Edition 10s that were on preorder for over $3000.

Sep 6, 2010 at 12:09 PM Post #2,332 of 12,415
heaphone ecosystem in my lab...

- Pioneer SE-M290
 - Sen HD201 (3x)
 - Sen HD205
 - Sony MDR-V150
 - Koss Portapros
 - Sen HD25-1 II (mine, given up on the SR80 here, too much computer noise around)
 - someone with cheap buds

(sources, everyone from pc headphone, several types of mobos, all running Debian Linux)

Sep 6, 2010 at 5:19 PM Post #2,333 of 12,415

Quote:
...Alas, I must, for there were none in stock, with little hope of more arriving. FAIL (but I will order them online).

Yeah mate, I know the feeling. They clearanced out all the KOSS from my Best Buy as well, and the PortaPros where already gone by the time I saw. I just picked up the ones I ordered on their site yesterday, and I was floored by the sound! Do note though, that they don't sell the typical ones you see, they are all black with a braided cord. The picture on the site is wrong.

Anyway, I only really commute to school, and thus far this is what I've seen at my college:
- 2x JVC Flats (two different people, one pink, one blue)

- Various buds (iPod, Skullcandy, Sony [from phone or Walkman, no standalone], &c)

- RadioShack branded headphones (I couldn't see a visible model number, but they had the same form as a pair of B&O Form 2 headphones)

- Beats Tour High Resolution (owned by a friend)

- ?ATH-A900 (I wasn't wearing my glasses when I saw an older gent wearing something that looked remarkably close to the A900, but I wasn't able to read the side of the phone from a few years away.

- Bose Around Ear

Around town I've seen

- Beats Studio

- Bose In-Ear, Over Ear

- Senn HD280pro

- Various Buds as always.

There are more I see, but I don't even know what they could be from a simple glance. 

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:50 AM Post #2,334 of 12,415
Ive seen a Fiio E5 and a Grado today.. not sure wich one. Amazing, ive never seen anything better then the HD201 in public.

Someone on headfi who lives in the Netherlands that goes to the Van Hall school in Leeuwarden? : )

Sep 9, 2010 at 10:57 AM Post #2,335 of 12,415
Denon D5000s from some guy I go to school with. We talked for a while, I showed him my Grados. He's a cool guy.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:17 PM Post #2,339 of 12,415
Out on job recently the discussion came up about "What will you buy with the money you're earning?"  I told them that I was going to buy some expensive headphones, to which I get back "Yeah, I own some Skull crushers."  I scoffed. "Those are garbage," I told him.

"No they're not."

"They are if you've heard $300 headphones."  I laughed.

He didn't know such a thing existed. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

Sep 9, 2010 at 6:26 PM Post #2,340 of 12,415

Quote:
Out on job recently the discussion came up about "What will you buy with the money you're earning?"  I told them that I was going to buy some expensive headphones, to which I get back "Yeah, I own some Skull crushers."  I scoffed. "Those are garbage," I told him.

"No they're not."

"They are if you've heard $300 headphones."  I laughed.

He didn't know such a thing existed. Ignorance is bliss I suppose.

What? Skullcandy is NOT the second coming?!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back