Headphone Recommendation (Rock,Metal, <$300)
Sep 12, 2011 at 2:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

LauZaIM

New Head-Fier
Hi,

I'm looking for some recommendations on some good headphones under $300. The only headphones I have that I would consider "good" are the Sennheiser PX100's (Original ones). I really like the sound they provide, but I would like something a little more clear, with more punchy bass. I mainly listen to rock/metal which includes Killswitch Engage, Tool, Nightwish, etc. However I do also listen to some electronica occasionally, as well as some Punk and Orchestral stuff like Hanz Zimmer. I really love when the double-bass starts pounding in Rock/Metal, I don't however like boominess or muddiness. I would like something that sounds balanced but not flat, I like to have a response that resembles something like a house curve.

I've been looking at the AKG 701's and 702's, HD600's, 598's, etc (mainly all the head gear ones), but without actually listening to them I can't really decide on anything, but hopefully someone out there that has can point me in the right direction for my music tastes.

Thanks!

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:22 AM Post #2 of 13
Grado SR80i on bowls.

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:37 AM Post #4 of 13
Some form of Grados. Possibly the sr225s.

Sep 12, 2011 at 3:50 AM Post #5 of 13

Welcome to head fi, and sorry for your wallet.

I listen to mostly rock/metal with a little bit of electronic on the side (say, 20-30% of my total listening) I find my grado sr80i absolutely amazing.

They treat bands like tool, dream theater, and queen very well, as you go up the grado toolchain things only improve (up to a point) so you could always go to a higher end model (relatively), say 125i or 225i.

The grados are open though, so they arent really ideal for use in public (as everyone could hear your music at moderate to high levels).

sr80i $99usd
sr125i $150usd
sr225i $200usd
so they all fit well under your budget.

You could also try check out the FS forums for a good deal on a used pair.

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:24 AM Post #6 of 13

Quote:
Grado SR80i on bowls.

Quote:
Grado SR225i.

Quote:
Some form of Grados. Possibly the sr225s.

Quote:

Welcome to head fi, and sorry for your wallet.

I listen to mostly rock/metal with a little bit of electronic on the side (say, 20-30% of my total listening) I find my grado sr80i absolutely amazing.

They treat bands like tool, dream theater, and queen very well, as you go up the grado toolchain things only improve (up to a point) so you could always go to a higher end model (relatively), say 125i or 225i.

The grados are open though, so they arent really ideal for use in public (as everyone could hear your music at moderate to high levels).

sr80i $99usd
sr125i $150usd
sr225i $200usd
so they all fit well under your budget.

You could also try check out the FS forums for a good deal on a used pair.

Yep, get Grados. The SR-225 are the most impressive for someone new to high end headphones... I'd own multiple pairs if they weren't so expensive haha...

The SR-225 comes with bowls, so thats another reason you'd want one, they're just an upgrade for the others. Be sure to grab a 1/4" to 1/8" Sennheiser adapter too!

Sep 12, 2011 at 4:47 AM Post #8 of 13

Quote:
Im liking the denon d2000 a lot for both electronic music and electric guitar and classical music also.

Also good, was not a fan of the build quality:

Fixed it though:

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:30 AM Post #9 of 13
So almost unanimous vote for Grados. I'm worried about the comfort though, I keep reading that they aren't comfortable for long periods of listening. I forgot to mention that I also will be using these things for Gaming, so I will need them to feel good for extended periods. How is the low-end of the Grados? I like the music to be a little on the warm side.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:44 AM Post #10 of 13
I can vouch both Grados and Ultrasone; the latter offers the diversity of open and closed cans - Grado's are all open models.

As you have little to no experience with these babies I won't bore you with too many subjective details, but consider this general rules:

Grado - You'll be buying into a lot of detail, speed and a bright sound and bit of a recessed extreme top end. As these are open, they will not isolate that much and at medium to loud levels people in the same room as you will also hear what you're listening to. Unforgiving with bad recordings if you have a good source and amp.

Ultrasone - You'll be buying amazing bass, both in quantity and depth... and punch. These are not as detailed as Grados but still good in this area. Mids are less proeminent and the treble is more extended and less agressive. If closed is a need, you have good choices in the lineup.

As for comfort, I don't think either of these brands will strike too many points.

You were considering HD600, HD598 - these are open cans that are truly balanced sound when looking at Grados or Ultrasones and I can enjoy anything with HD600, but you need a good amp to strike gold. It's not uncommon to see users spending over 1K in amps to squeeze it's full potential. On the other hand, Grados and Ultrasone can sound quite good out of any source/amp.

If you can stretch your budget a bit, why not go with a SR225i and a HFI780/680? If you get these used in the for sale section... keep the change.

Oh... and welcome to headfi... sorry about your wallet!

Edit: Grados and Ultrasone don't do games too well imo. The fact that they aren't the most confortable cans in the biz will take you quite a bit of time getting used to the "feel". Sennheisers and Beyers are kings of confort and do sounstage way better then the others mentioned, which is important for me at least since I GAME A LOT!

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:47 AM Post #11 of 13
The Denon D2K worked great for me and the build quality was excellent on mine.

Sep 12, 2011 at 11:56 AM Post #12 of 13

Quote:
So almost unanimous vote for Grados. I'm worried about the comfort though, I keep reading that they aren't comfortable for long periods of listening. I forgot to mention that I also will be using these things for Gaming, so I will need them to feel good for extended periods. How is the low-end of the Grados? I like the music to be a little on the warm side.

the grado headband is a thin metal strip that can be bent liberally to apply very little pressure on the ears. and all the models listed here are very light.

to add extra comfort, wash the foam bowls in some water and soap to soften them up a bit. 

Sep 12, 2011 at 2:03 PM Post #13 of 13
I think the build quality (other than the screw issue some people get) is very good on the denons.... They seem very nicely made other then that problem... and also it is reasonably easy to fix if you do get it...

Also if the OP wants for long term use / gaming / no fatiguing headphones I would strongly reccomend against grado for this purpose IMO. They sit ON your ear and are very upfront and fatiguing more of a "listen for an hour then take them off" sort of phone IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back