Headphone recomendation. $100 budget
Sep 17, 2011 at 10:18 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

gamehendge

New Head-Fier
Hello head-fi users. My first post! I am looking for recommendations for headphones (not very interested in earphones).  I have quality music that needs to be listened to!! Also recommendations for headphone amps are more than welcome if you think one would improve the listening experience (can bump price over $100). Just please tell me why you recommend the product.

Music:
*All in FLAC. Large collection of live shows in 24bit
*Phish, Black Keys, Explosions in the Sky....alot of instrumentals

Setting:
*College student. Share a room so looking for something that isnt going to be excessively loud to bystanders, but not the biggest deal if someone else knows that im listening to music.
*Most of my listening will be sitting at my computer, so dont need to be portable, but dont want something ridiculously huge.
*If traveling will be listening from Sandisk Sansa fuse in FLAC format (or maybe V0 mp3).

Looking at Grado sr60i (or possibly sr80i). Is a headphone amp recommended with these? Would one improve the listening experience?

Also looked at Fosters RP series...thoughts?

Looking forward to reading everyone's recommendations!!

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #2 of 6
Grado would be great. They don't need a amp and fit your needs perfectly.

Sr60i have more bass then the Sr80i. But's a small difference.

I have the Sr80i and love them.

Fostex T50RP need a amp. FiiO E9 or other desktop amp would power them well.

But it's best to buy a headphone like a Grado and spend the money you would have used for a amp on that single headphone. If you can, try aiming for the SR225i, you'll be rewarded well.

Sep 17, 2011 at 10:44 PM Post #3 of 6
I don't really have a lot of experience to guide you with different options but I have a pair of Grado SR-60i and they sound great.  With your budget, you can get the 80s or even the 125s although I heard not too much of difference in sound within the 3 of them.

I have a PA2V2 amp with my Grados and  it's hard to plug and unplug to do A/B comparisons with and without the amo but they sound fine without amp too.

Sorry but I really didn't help at all.  :)  Just wanted to throw my comments in here.

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:11 PM Post #4 of 6
One thing to consider about the Grado's: They are open, so if you play your music loud enough your roommates/classmates will hear it.  I know you mentioned you don't want to disturb your roommate.  Its one of the reasons I didn't pick up a pair for work (they do look sick though).

Sep 17, 2011 at 11:47 PM Post #5 of 6
Thanks for the input guys! sounds like grados sr60i is prob my best option.

Anyone have input on sr60i vs sr80i for the specific music i listen to (mostly HQ live recordings of jam bands)?

Also any recommendations for closed(?) headphones...(not 100% on my terminology)

Sep 18, 2011 at 12:15 AM Post #6 of 6

Quote:
Thanks for the input guys! sounds like grados sr60i is prob my best option.

Anyone have input on sr60i vs sr80i for the specific music i listen to (mostly HQ live recordings of jam bands)?

Also any recommendations for closed(?) headphones...(not 100% on my terminology)

Grado's and jam bands are like peanut butter and jelly. Mostly the Allman Brothers for me as far as jam bands go; or Govt. Mule, and The Derek Trucks Band; but Grado's excel at guitar driven rock. They're fun cans and know how to boogie. I dont really know how the 80 differs from the 60. I think the 80 used to have a bigger cable and definitely had bowls versus comfies. Personally I'd go with the SR60 and use the saved dollars for beer money.

The T50 is a nice phone but it doesnt quite have the fun factor of a Grado.

BTW you inspired me to cue up some Railroad Earth
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back