Headphone for gaming/dubstep around $100
Aug 9, 2011 at 2:47 AM Post #33 of 44

Quote:
I ordered the Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80. Its seems to be better for gaming/music than the D1100 and HD598 according to you guys. I'll buy an amp come black Friday. 

Heya,

It's a basshead can. It's good for dub for sure. It's got a pretty good sound stage too, so decent for gaming (only not great since open air headphones tend to be best for sound stages in general). It's got good bright forward highs. So again, good for games where you need detail. But also has the big boomy bass to allow for fun explosions and ambient sound that really draws you in. It's amazing what lack of bass does to a sound. Think of the ambient sound in a game like.. Mass Effect. Take away the bass. It's anemic and you feel like you are listening to a 1960's broadcast. We love our bass these days. Love it. Anyhow, I think you'll love the DT770 Pro 80's. And when you get an amplifier, even a minor one, you will really love the punchy deep controlled bass it can do.

They're very comfortable too, look good, they have a low profile headband, they don't look silly and stick out like some portables do.

Here's mine as a preview as to what you can expect:

Wear them around town too once you have a portable amp!

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:42 AM Post #39 of 44

Quote:
Ok the bass is AMAZING! But the soundstage? I don't know how to judge that. In BFBC2 the sound seemed normal as in my RX700s and IEMs 

Heya,

Sound stage is more about separation of sounds. You are likely just getting a stereo presentation from the game. Your soundcard (assuming PC) needs to have a Dolby Headphone interface of some kind if you want the real surround effect (or equivalent to Dolby Headphone depending on what you have). If it's from your console, you'll need something like an astrox mixamp. What soundcard are we using?

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #40 of 44
Aug 11, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #41 of 44
Right now just the onboard. I tried this with my home theater amp(which is hooked up to my PS3/360) and turned it up and ****. Even MORE bass! I'll try a ps3 game to see how it goes. But I don't think the Home theaters 3.5mm out supports surround, the unit itself does though, so when playing ps3 online on the big speakers and watching movies its amazing. I'll let you know tomorrow by testing it with Uncharted 2. 

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:09 AM Post #42 of 44

Quote:
Right now just the onboard. I tried this with my home theater amp(which is hooked up to my PS3/360) and turned it up and ****. Even MORE bass! I'll try a ps3 game to see how it goes. But I don't think the Home theaters 3.5mm out supports surround, the unit itself does though, so when playing ps3 online on the big speakers and watching movies its amazing. I'll let you know tomorrow by testing it with Uncharted 2. 

Heya,

Ahh there you go then. The games are going to sound stereo due to onboard. Pick a Xonar DG for $35, enable Dolby Surround. Then try games. The sound stage with that will be pretty awesome. And yea, they're bassy. They're a basshead can. But also a beautiful sound on top of that. When you get some time, play with the EQ when listening to music. You can bring up the mids a bit and EQ them to have a more neutral sound and they're great for near anything, yet can of course go bass monster on you when you want it. Good isolation too.

Enjoy!

Very best,

Aug 11, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #43 of 44

Quote:
Heya,

Ahh there you go then. The games are going to sound stereo due to onboard. Pick a Xonar DG for $35, enable Dolby Surround. Then try games. The sound stage with that will be pretty awesome. And yea, they're bassy. They're a basshead can. But also a beautiful sound on top of that. When you get some time, play with the EQ when listening to music. You can bring up the mids a bit and EQ them to have a more neutral sound and they're great for near anything, yet can of course go bass monster on you when you want it. Good isolation too.

Enjoy!

Very best,

The Asus Xonar DG cost $20 after mail in rebate.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back