Headphone Advice
Nov 22, 2010 at 12:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

Spigon

New Head-Fier
Hi! I am currently trying to find some decent headphones to use for: gaming, rock, pop, and occasionally hip-hop. My current budget is $40, but can be expanded up to $60 depending on the given situation; my current choices are between the Koss Portapro, Grado Sr-60i, and Beyerdynamic DT235. My question is, which of the three would be the better buy?

• The Beyerdynamic DT235 for a flat $45 new or a flat $38 used.
  • The Grado SR-60i for under $55 ebay hunting.
  • Or buying a Koss Portapro on the forums equipped with as much mods $40 can get you.

Please note these are not the only options available -so feel free to chime in- and through much hunting it seems like these three are the best options. Apparently both the SR-60i and the DT235 received a sound score of 7.5 from this thread; while the DT235 seems to be more affordable with near matching comfort levels. Also many would say that never few headphones from the $50-80 could compete with a well modded Portapro. With all this being said I would like your input so I may have a more informed decision when the time comes.

P.S. what is the required post count to post in the sales/trade section of the forums?

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #2 of 10
Is portability an issue? Most gaming headphones needs a fairly large soundstage, something usually not found in the portable department.

There's no post requirement to posting in the F/S forum, but you do need at least 15 to start a selling thread.
Also, if you want to make an offer, you do so by PMs. You're not suppose to post offers within the threads.

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #3 of 10
kramer5150 said:

Assuming you can get the SR60 for $75 and the KSC75 for $20 heres my thoughts.

The KSC75 is roughly 85-90% of the SR60 IMHO. Modded it can do most of what the SR60 does. So, IMHO is a better bargain at under $20... unless you are the type who picks notes apart in your head, then that last 10% might be worth the extra expense.

Spectrally they are very similar. KSC75 bass is a bit more bloated and uncontrolled, but thats where the modifications come in.

The biggest difference is in detail resolution, where the SR60 is a small but noticeable noticeable step up... in my oppinion.

Garrett

Seeing as the Portapro is similar to the KSC75 but with a nifty headband this is my justification for adding it lol.

NINJA EDIT: Portability is not an issue!

Nov 22, 2010 at 12:30 PM Post #4 of 10
If portability is not an issue, for gaming/soundstage purpose, one of the favorites among audiophiles is the ATH AD700, great comfort, large soundstage, and forward mids. Which is really useful in gaming for spotting enemy footsteps to prevent others to sneak up on you. But they are fairly bass light, and might not be suitable for your music genre.

If you don't game that much, CAL! is currently on Amazon for $70 shipped, they have a fairly large soundstage, and it is a repackaged D1000, and is fairly popular amongst the audiophiles.

It really depends on what your needs are, but CAL! would probably be the better choice.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:15 PM Post #7 of 10
The Koss PortaPro sounds better that the SR60 in my opinion... Really I like it better than even the higher end Grados, since the few I have heard where ear bitingly efficient at reproducing treble, and treble only.

Nov 23, 2010 at 2:35 PM Post #8 of 10

I give a second recommendation for the AD700s.  With a good amplifier the bass is actually not all that light.

I know it may be a bit out of your budget, but I've owned the KSC-75s which IMO is similiar to what you're looking at sound wise within your budget, and nothing you're looking at thus far can touch the AD700s.
Quote:
If portability is not an issue, for gaming/soundstage purpose, one of the favorites among audiophiles is the ATH AD700, great comfort, large soundstage, and forward mids. Which is really useful in gaming for spotting enemy footsteps to prevent others to sneak up on you. But they are fairly bass light, and might not be suitable for your music genre.

If you don't game that much, CAL! is currently on Amazon for $70 shipped, they have a fairly large soundstage, and it is a repackaged D1000, and is fairly popular amongst the audiophiles.

It really depends on what your needs are, but CAL! would probably be the better choice.

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:40 PM Post #9 of 10
Portapro and grados have a fairly small soundstage, which makes them not suitable for gaming.

Also, I have a used AD700 for sale for $60 shipped, so I thought it would be within your price range.

Nov 23, 2010 at 6:58 PM Post #10 of 10
If portability is not an issue...JVC HARX700's (modded) 
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back