Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Apr 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #91 of 437
Quote:

Also can someone explain to me how a different battery can change the overall sound quality of this amp? I'm trying to understand how the batteries would make a difference. Thanks

Justin mentioned that the Li-ion is the best for sound quality due to its lower resistance, while battery with higher voltage will work best with difficult to drive headphones.  Rechargeable Li-ion 9V batteries usually have higher amp rating (up to 600 mah) but at the expense of lower voltage rating compared to that of NIMH.  NIMH batteries can register nearly 11 volt at full charge, but the amperage is maxed out at 300 mah.

Apr 24, 2013 at 12:06 PM Post #92 of 437
Quote:

Sorry but the Lisa 3 is not a "portable amp". Not even close
biggrin.gif

Size does not bother since I'm already using non-portable headphones. 
biggrin.gif

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:39 PM Post #93 of 437
Quote:
Justin mentioned that the Li-ion is the best for sound quality due to its lower resistance, while battery with higher voltage will work best with difficult to drive headphones.  Rechargeable Li-ion 9V batteries usually have higher amp rating (up to 600 mah) but at the expense of lower voltage rating compared to that of NIMH.  NIMH batteries can register nearly 11 volt at full charge, but the amperage is maxed out at 300 mah.

Ah, ok that makes sense. Thanks for the clarification.

Apr 24, 2013 at 2:55 PM Post #94 of 437
Quote:
With full sized headphones the l3 is still a better choice over pp. Dynamics is noticeably better, overall sound is also fuller and more desktop like on the l3 even without the llp. However pp beats sr71a with ease. Tried HD800 and LCD2 and prefer l3>pp>71a. If size does not bother you get the l3, otherwise pp is a better choice.

agree but still, they're different sounding devices.  after getting pp i still want to get an l3(i have heard l3 before a few times).  wonder if we can ask justin to do a project/amp.  when size does not matter, battery powered portable amp. 

Apr 24, 2013 at 4:38 PM Post #95 of 437
Quote:
agree but still, they're different sounding devices.  after getting pp i still want to get an l3(i have heard l3 before a few times).  wonder if we can ask justin to do a project/amp.  when size does not matter, battery powered portable amp. 

Already exists.  It's called the GS-X mk2. Just disconnect the external power supply and wire up some batteries  
smily_headphones1.gif
.  I can't claim this is my idea.

Quoting Ken Gilmore from an earlier thread about ultimate portables
New GSX and 4 x 5AH 12V gell cells certainly fits into the transportable
category.

--Mark

Apr 24, 2013 at 10:55 PM Post #96 of 437
In my experience... most 9v batt actually have only 8.4v power. The worst is many off cheap and unbranded batt have lower than 8.4v, thats mean there will lower power to supply the amp which mean the output sound will impacted. Most amp have power swing for their power need, like my L3 is 24v up to 32v via external adaptor.
When i change my L3 batt from energizer 9v with maha imodeon 9.6v the change was noteable like its step up one level.
Also can someone explain to me how a different battery can change the overall sound quality of this amp? I'm trying to understand how the batteries would make a difference. Thanks

Apr 24, 2013 at 11:33 PM Post #97 of 437
Quote:
In my experience... most 9v batt actually have only 8.4v power. The worst is many off cheap and unbranded batt have lower than 8.4v, thats mean there will lower power to supply the amp which mean the output sound will impacted. Most amp have power swing for their power need, like my L3 is 24v up to 32v via external adaptor.
When i change my L3 batt from energizer 9v with maha imodeon 9.6v the change was noteable like its step up one level.

Ah.. ok so just to be clear the MAHA IMODEON 9.6v batteries are better than a regular Duracell 9v correct? Because of the voltage difference. Any other rechargable batteries that offer increase sound quality? 

Apr 25, 2013 at 4:26 AM Post #98 of 437
Quote:

When size does not matter then you should no longer be looking in the PORTABLE AMPS forum category.

May 16, 2013 at 3:45 AM Post #104 of 437
Quote:
TH900 is not designed as a portable headphone.

Many of us use portable amps with home headphones. It can make the headphones transportable around the home, out in the garden, for carrying to another location etc.

In addition, a truly high quality portable amp can be a main amplifier, especially for low impedance headphones. Battery power is good.

May 27, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #105 of 437
I'm currently exceedingly pleased with my AK100 -> Pico Power -> Symphones Magnums. Aside from needing a far more compact mini-to-mini cable, it is a far more portable complete rig (aside from the headphones) than every other combo I had before that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back