Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Apr 13, 2013 at 12:09 PM Post #62 of 437
Quote:
Very interesting amp...

@ currawong, how this amp compared to your triadaudio L3? I have L3 and love it, but the battery run out very quickly. Im pairing my L3 with fostex hpp1 with iphone, mostly driving my T1
If pico as good as L3 im sure i will have one

I have the Larocco Pocket Reference (PR) with all the premium parts including blackgates, diamond buffer, and highend op-amps and it is only slightly better than the Pico Power and this may amount to sonic preference.  Note that my PR is nearly 3 time the size, 5 times the weight, and 1/2 the battery life of the Pico Power.  It has the "contour" bassboost option but doesn't have any gain switch.  It also accept two 9 volts batteries just like the Pico Power.  To those who don't have knowledge about the PR, it was a predecessor of the L3 and created by Phil Larocco back in 2005.  The unit was handcrafted by Phil himself with a aluminum chassis work by Larry of Larocco Audio.  IMO, the Pico Power is a true wonder here. 

Apr 13, 2013 at 2:06 PM Post #63 of 437
Quote:
I have the Larocco Pocket Reference (PR) with all the premium parts including blackgates, diamond buffer, and highend op-amps and it is only slightly better than the Pico Power and this may amount to sonic preference.  Note that my PR is nearly 3 time the size, 5 times the weight, and 1/2 the battery life of the Pico Power.  It has the "contour" bassboost option but doesn't have any gain switch.  It also accept two 9 volts batteries just like the Pico Power.  To those who don't have knowledge about the PR, it was a predecessor of the L3 and created by Phil Larocco back in 2005.  The unit was handcrafted by Phil himself with a aluminum chassis work by Larry of Larocco Audio.  IMO, the Pico Power is a true wonder here. 

Any comparisons in sound?

Apr 14, 2013 at 2:59 AM Post #64 of 437
Regarding the comparison of the L3 and Pico Power - with the caveat that my Pico Power has not arrived yet - I expect that the Pico Power is going to have a much lower noise floor than the L3. Justin says that at low gain it is even better than the Pico Slim which is already very good. The L3 hissed up a storm with my ES5. (But for that, it did sound very good though.)

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:21 AM Post #65 of 437
Quote:

Any comparisons in sound?

i'm gussing he's saying the PR sound better but much bigger, heavier with less battery life.  also i think it costs him way more back in 2005.  and for l3, i don't have it but heard it a few times, again, better probably but its' much bigger, heavier with less battery life.  also, the l3 doesn't sound as good with iems. 

Apr 14, 2013 at 7:27 AM Post #66 of 437
Quote:
Regarding the comparison of the L3 and Pico Power - with the caveat that my Pico Power has not arrived yet - I expect that the Pico Power is going to have a much lower noise floor than the L3. Justin says that at low gain it is even better than the Pico Slim which is already very good. The L3 hissed up a storm with my ES5. (But for that, it did sound very good though.)

i think he's right, the power sounds better than the slim even with iems.  the power does sound great with uerm and compact monitor stage 4.  also mighty good with ed8. this thing with an ipod plus clas.  wow.  i've been away from my home rig for a while and the power does make me not miss my home rig as much as i thought.  great device.

Apr 14, 2013 at 12:18 PM Post #67 of 437
That's how i am using it the CLAS->PP->Ed8 LE.  Amazing!
biggrin.gif

Apr 14, 2013 at 5:52 PM Post #69 of 437
Quote:

same here with the le.  amazing isn't it.  i'll let you know how it sound when i get the gsx mk2
evil_smiley.gif

Great, you let me know, i have home headphone amps coming out of my ears.  Violectric V200, Zana Deux, Xcan with power supply and if you count Triad audio Lisa lll that's four.  I'm sure it will sound great though, Justin's stuff is very good.

Apr 14, 2013 at 6:58 PM Post #70 of 437
That's how i am using it the CLAS->PP->Ed8 LE.  Amazing!:D

I am agree with you Dave
Pico power is one of the best from my amp collection
Got plenty of juice , balance SQ and very good bass impact and very clean and clear bass detail , that can going very low without distortion .
I like very much to collect justin amp

Apr 15, 2013 at 8:42 AM Post #71 of 437
iPhone 4S> iFi iDac> iFi iCan> HD650

iPhone 4S> Pico Dac > Pico Power> HD650

Will the difference be big? Can you guys explain why? Btw, would changing the source to a computer make a diff?

[Edited]

Apr 15, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #74 of 437
Pico dac uses a mini USB plug from your computers USB port. As far as I know you would need something like the fostex HP-P1 or Cypher Lab Solo to pull the digital signal out of an iPhone and into a dac at that point or into their own dac's.

Rca's could possibly go to an amp but not the Pico Power. It uses a mini plug input.

Apr 15, 2013 at 7:09 PM Post #75 of 437
Pico dac uses a mini USB plug from your computers USB port. As far as I know you would need something like the fostex HP-P1 or Cypher Lab Solo to pull the digital signal out of an iPhone and into a dac at that point or into their own dac's.

Rca's could possibly go to an amp but not the Pico Power. It uses a mini plug input.

From the picture at Headamps website it seems like RCA in or is it RCA out?

Edit: For the Pico Dac

Users who are viewing this thread

Back