Headamp Pico Power Impressions Thread
Mar 22, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #31 of 437
Thanks folks. Next would be the power consumption and expected life span of different battery chemistries in PP? I have only found 9V rechargable batteries with low amp hour ratings, eg, 300 mAh.

I see this is getting a workout over on the preorder thread.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:03 AM Post #33 of 437

So far so good. It works well with the Dragonfly as a source (in this case with a separate USB power supply). The overall sound is a bit mellow, probably because of the Dragonfly.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:11 AM Post #34 of 437
My pico power just arrived this afternoon , thank you Justin for sending my orange pico power .
looks and SQ out the box excellent .

source: iPhone 4 S
amp : Headamp pico power orange 
headphone : ULS sig DJ 
cable : for ULS sig DJ use oyaide with rhodium connector 6,3 mm

Mar 25, 2013 at 10:30 AM Post #36 of 437
Hmmmm ... that orange Pico looks very copper.

Mar 25, 2013 at 11:24 AM Post #37 of 437
I appreciate people's pictures... but I am really looking forward to reading about what people are hearing.

In the last week I have done a fair amount of listening to the Pico Power, typically a Lavry DA-11 as source, but sometimes an AQ DragonFly, and occasionally taking sound directly from the headphone jack of my iPhone.  Music is nearly all loseless 44/16 though I have a few higher resolution tracks. I have been mostly listening to HD800, though I have tried Westone 5ES and Etymotic HF5 IEM.  I have been very impressed so far. There have been no glaring flaws in the Pico Power which is pretty impressive given it's price, size, and battery power.  Tonal balance is neutral, reminding me of my Headamp GS-1.  I had no problem driving my HD800 to high listening levels with the gain set to medium.  The amplifier works well on low gain for the IEMs. I am pretty sure  I have gotten more than 20 hours on the first two sets of disposal batteries but I haven't been keep close track... my rechargeable batteries arrive today. Channels are well balanced even at low volume levels. I hear no noise with the HD800, and don't hear noise with IEM until the volume is turned high enough to damage my hearing if music was playing.

Bass: clear and controlled.  The speed similar to the GS-1 and detail is close, though the GS-1 seemed to have slightly more weight / impact. It will come as no surprise that it's not at the same level as the GS-X mk2.

Mids: Fairly smooth but with a bit of grain,  good level of detail, a bit lean in the lower-mids?  Depending on the track it seems to be the GS-1 equal, sometimes the GS-1 seems a bit more refined.  GS-X seemed a good bit more refined.

Treble: Crisp without being glaring. At the very top end there seems to be a bit of a roll off compared to the GS-X.  Sometimes I though it was the GS-1's equal, and sometimes it didn't depending on the track.

Sound Stage: Smaller than either the GS-1 or the GS-X with less  air.  This is what I most quickly noticed listening to the Pico Power.

Summary for me: A battery powered amplifier which drives the HD800 as well as many desktop amplifiers I have listened to and completely blows away the amplifier found in every USB power DAC/Amp I have heard, and the few battery powered amplifiers I have tried (my experience with other battery powered amplifiers is not extensive).  On lesser tracks I sometimes couldn't tell this difference between the Pico Power and my GS-1 in blind A/B comparision.  With high quality sources it becomes clear that while the Pico Power it's not quite a battery powered GS-1, it's pretty close, and I like it more than the Gilmore Lite.  The Pico Power is good enough for me that I will no longer feel compelled to haul around a wall powered amplifier when I want to listen to the HD800 outside my living room. I am not even going to bother with desk amplifier in my office anymore.  When I am not 100% focused on music, the Pico Power is good enough.

Mar 25, 2013 at 1:50 PM Post #38 of 437
My. Impression with burn in about 6 hours time as follow :

source : iPhone 4 S 
              AK 100 DIY mod 
dac : ibasso DB 2 balance Dac 
Amp : Pico Power orange colour
headphone : ultrasone Sig DJ
                      LCD 3 
cable : sig DJ use oyaide after market cable made in Japan 
            LCD 3 use Norse Reign cable 24 Braid x 21 awg 
            AK 100 > dB 2 use syst concept Canada optical cable 
            DB 2 > pico power use hiroshe balance to neutrik mini 3,5 mm jack
            iPhone 4 s to pico power use mini to mini Stax sr 002

pico power + iPhone 4 s + ULS sig DJ 
Gain : low gain 
High : crisp , clean and clean with rich detail but not harsh 
mid : sweet , clear and clean midrange 
bass : detail , clean and very deep bass with very good impact .
separation : for portable amp is very good separation , that I can feel the position from musician and Sanger .
soundstage : wider than my pico Dac amp , with better depth 

Pico power + AK 100 + db2 + LCD 3
gain : high gain 
high : with external Dac has more body compare. Direct iPhone 4 s or AK 100
mid. : with external Dac more sweet and better body , very clear and clean
bass : with external Dac more body and better bass impact as well   
           I can hear more body in kick drum and contra bass .

conculsion :
with or without Dac , Pico Power sound quality is excellent .
sound quality like desktop amp , so full and rich in all range , from bass mid and high .
The pico power is one of the best amp from my portable amp collection .
The pico power is one of the powerful portable amp I have own .

pico power in high gain is not only good for hard to drive cans like LCD 3 and T 1 and hd 800
pico power in low gain is excellent to drive my iem like sm 64 , fit ear MH 335  DW and um miracle too 

the pico amp is dead silent amp in low gain , in high gain is minimal hiss to dead silent indepent what kind of cans I use to pair with .

this is my personal opinion 

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:07 PM Post #39 of 437
Question.  Is the Power LED supposed to stay light at all time?  I fed the amp new batteries and the light shut off after couple of hours.  Thanks.

Mar 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #40 of 437
Quote:
Question.  Is the Power LED supposed to stay light at all time?  I fed the amp new batteries and the light shut off after couple of hours.  Thanks.

Bravo Justin 
beerchug.gif

My pico power battery run already 12 hours and still running until now .
the power led is always stay light at all the time .

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:14 PM Post #42 of 437
Quote:

So far so good. It works well with the Dragonfly as a source (in this case with a separate USB power supply). The overall sound is a bit mellow, probably because of the Dragonfly.

Hi Currawong 
may I ask you about the dragonfly ?
is the SQ from dragonfly overall so mellow ?
what kind of headphone do you use in pair with pico power ?
i saw you use low gain  
thank you 

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:22 PM Post #43 of 437
Quote:

If the light is off, batteries are below the specified limit that Justin mentioned in the earlier part of the preorder thread.

Mar 25, 2013 at 5:36 PM Post #44 of 437
Quote:
If the light is off, batteries are below the specified limit that Justin mentioned in the earlier part of the preorder thread.

That's what I thought.  However, I'm already using two set new 9 volts batteries.  Maybe those batteries are defective.  Will use my 9.6V NiMH and report back.

Mar 25, 2013 at 6:10 PM Post #45 of 437
Quote:
That's what I thought.  However, I'm already using two set new 9 volts batteries.  Maybe those batteries are defective.  Will use my 9.6V NiMH and report back.

In addition, even if the light is off at it's early stages, music is still happening but volume is diminished, distorted, and it finally...silence. Yesterday, I used a pair of freshly charged Powerex NIHM and at 14 hours straight,  light is sill on. i haven't pushed it yet to drain the battery. 14  and beyond...not bad

Users who are viewing this thread

Back