HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Dec 29, 2007 at 5:38 AM Post #783 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by chouman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thanks siddiquehanif! You are in for a real treat I tell ya. Don't worry, the wait is most definitely worth it. Is this one of your first head-fi purchases?

Chouman: its my second head-fi purchases before i bought audio technica ATH-AD200 phones! I am quite happy that this excellect product came just at the right time when i need similar sort of product and could not find with any with such audiophile quality!

Dec 29, 2007 at 6:44 AM Post #784 of 3,724
For those that have received your Picos, does the charging light go off after a bit or stay on when AC plugged in? Not sure if the light indicates actively charging and goes off when completed (and then back on presumingly when charging must start again) or if it indicates the AC is plugged in (and thus continuing charging) and stays on. Mine seems to go off after about 10 minutes after plugging in. This has happened twice when using as a USB DAC (and AC plugged in). Otherwise sounds pretty good with the GS1K.
wink.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #785 of 3,724
The Charging LED (the right one with the Lightning logo) shuts off when it's done charging. And leaving the USB DAC plugged in does not effect the charging of the Amp section either way.

The power switch in the Volume knob turns off the Amp section only, if you keep the USB plugged in, the DAC will stay powered regardless, since they have separate power supplies.

So if you turn off your Amp (with the Volume knob) the charging light will shut off when it is done charging.

But I forgot whether or not the Pico is always powered by battery, i.e. when you plug in the AC adapter does it bypass the battery power, or does it charge the battery regardless, and the Amp is always powered by battery?

-Ed

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:08 AM Post #786 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by HardHeadCase /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone know why its called the "PICO"?

It's an SI prefix for 10^-12; e.g. small (the prefix is derived from Spanish.)

Dec 29, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #789 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif

But I forgot whether or not the Pico is always powered by battery, i.e. when you plug in the AC adapter does it bypass the battery power, or does it charge the battery regardless, and the Amp is always powered by battery?

-Ed

ed, i remember asking justin about this awhile ago and he said that it does indeed bypass the battery when plugged in. so, it's not always powered by the battery.

Dec 29, 2007 at 12:10 PM Post #791 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Edwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It's named after a unit of measure. Picometer, Nanometer, Millimeter, etc.

I hope Justin's next portable amp will be then called "femto"... Then "atto"... Can't imagine what that would be! Justin will make other miracles... We all know it!

Dec 29, 2007 at 1:23 PM Post #792 of 3,724
Heya Justin,

1 Pico w/DAC for me.
smily_headphones1.gif

For the color, I would like,

-Black Chassis
-Bronze Faceplate
-Black knob
-1 feet USB cable

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:36 PM Post #793 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kel Ghu /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I hope Justin's next portable amp will be then called "femto"... Then "atto"... Can't imagine what that would be! Justin will make other miracles... We all know it!

Justin's next amp might be called the "Pill" for its size and he'll make it blue like the other one that gets you excited.
biggrin.gif

Dec 29, 2007 at 2:38 PM Post #794 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by kugino /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ed, i remember asking justin about this awhile ago and he said that it does indeed bypass the battery when plugged in. so, it's not always powered by the battery.

If this is the case, the PSU even on the mains is amazingly quiet. No buzzing or hum at all.

And a nice bonus of not wearing out the battery faster when plugging in the charger.

-Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back