HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Dec 7, 2007 at 2:06 PM Post #481 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will start shipping as early as next week

Hi Justin, When the enclosures arrive can you post some large photos of each colour?

Thanks.

Dec 7, 2007 at 3:50 PM Post #482 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by justin w. /img/forum/go_quote.gif
They will start shipping as early as next week

Great news on a snowy morning here in Idaho!
biggrin.gif

Justin, I just emailed you when you were going to ship (I should have read this thread first) because I might need to make a shipping address change. I think I will have to...

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:01 AM Post #485 of 3,724
Hi Justin, Head-fiers.

I "pre-ordered" in post #284 on October 24th. Is there any way to tell where I am in line?

I know the first 75 or so are being sent out in early December (now). I assume I am not in that list. But where exactly am I?

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:20 AM Post #486 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by spraggih /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi Justin, Head-fiers.

I "pre-ordered" in post #284 on October 24th. Is there any way to tell where I am in line?

I know the first 75 or so are being sent out in early December (now). I assume I am not in that list. But where exactly am I?

It Looks like you're number 114 according to this page.

Dec 8, 2007 at 5:26 AM Post #487 of 3,724
I would like to pre-order a black Pico w/ DAC and a 3 feet USB cable.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:35 PM Post #489 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi
can Pico act like Standalone DAC for another Amp?

Kinda. You would still have to go through the Pico's amplification circuit.

Dec 8, 2007 at 1:36 PM Post #490 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Bozz_Keren /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi
can Pico act like Standalone DAC for another Amp?

No. It's a combination USB DAC/Amp. What you get out is amped. You can feed that analog to another amp, but I don't think that's what you want to do.

-Pony

Dec 8, 2007 at 2:13 PM Post #492 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
No. It's a combination USB DAC/Amp. What you get out is amped. You can feed that analog to another amp, but I don't think that's what you want to do.

-Pony

Certainly not ideal, but I wonder if the sound quality would actually suffer. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of DAC signal outputs are amped in one way or another. The signal out of a DAC chip is very weak so you'd need an analogue output (amplification) stage after the DAC to boost the voltage to around 1-3V.

If you use the Pico as a standalone DAC, the amplification circuit of the Pico will act like the analogue output stage in standalone DAC, just that it can be attenuated via the volume pot.

Justin can probably tell you for certain how the Pico will perform as a source.

Dec 8, 2007 at 3:39 PM Post #493 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by milkpowder /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Certainly not ideal, but I wonder if the sound quality would actually suffer. If I'm not mistaken, a lot of DAC signal outputs are amped in one way or another. The signal out of a DAC chip is very weak so you'd need an analogue output (amplification) stage after the DAC to boost the voltage to around 1-3V.

If you use the Pico as a standalone DAC, the amplification circuit of the Pico will act like the analogue output stage in standalone DAC, just that it can be attenuated via the volume pot.

Justin can probably tell you for certain how the Pico will perform as a source.

From my rather limited understanding of what's been posted previously you are correct. Grawk has stated several times within this and few other threads I believe that he used the Pico's headphone output as a variable output to his Balanced M3.

Dec 8, 2007 at 4:32 PM Post #494 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by elnero /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It Looks like you're number 114 according to this page.

Wow- much thanks! Did not know it existed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back