HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Feb 11, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #1,369 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by Illah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Because it's one thing to be busy, another to be busy and non-communicative. I understand Justin seems to be Head-Fi's collective 'little brother' and thus sheltered from criticism, but there have been many people complaining about lack of communication in various threads.

With all the orders he's getting, pay a local kid $8 / hr. to answer emails and handle shipping. It'll cost $160 a week for half-time help and then everyone's happy. Then Justin can focus on building amps and speed production. Costs of doing business as they say...

Think: if he produces 75 Picos a month that's $37,500 in gross sales per month. And that doesn't include any other amps he may be selling. At that kind of business the, "Give him a break, he's just a lone amp builder doing it for the community" excuse kind of loses its muster
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

eek.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 6:29 PM Post #1,370 of 3,724
Quote:

<snip>

I'm sorry, do you have a vested interest in this or something or did you just stop by to trash Justin?
rolleyes.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #1,373 of 3,724
hi. i am about to order a pico, and i just wanted to make sure the setup i'm going to have with pico is proper.

laptop -> usb cable -> pico -> mini-to-rca cable -> gilmore lite -> hd600

1. is that a proper setup?
2. is there any other way to set this up?
3. with the setup above, does pico work as a dac only or also as a preamp?

thanks in advance.

Feb 11, 2008 at 7:47 PM Post #1,375 of 3,724
I played with this exact setup two days ago. It works fine. There are two opinions on volume setting for Pico:

a: low gain, volume at max
b: high gain, volume at 12:00

I tried both. Didn't listen long enough to get a sense of which was better. It sounded very nice, quite a bit better than my 0404 USB feeding GLite, I'm sad to say. But, ultimately, this was not how my purchases were allocated, so I unplugged before I grew too fond of the sound.

See my signature for actual setups of Pico and GLite.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ubermang /img/forum/go_quote.gif
hi. i am about to order a pico, and i just wanted to make sure the setup i'm going to have with pico is proper.

thanks in advance.

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:13 PM Post #1,376 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by ubermang /img/forum/go_quote.gif

thanks in advance.

i'm going to do the same, replace gilmore lite with GS-1

Feb 11, 2008 at 8:57 PM Post #1,378 of 3,724
Quote:

Because it's one thing to be busy, another to be busy and non-communicative. I understand Justin seems to be Head-Fi's collective 'little brother' and thus sheltered from criticism, but there have been many people complaining about lack of communication in various threads.

With all the orders he's getting, pay a local kid $8 / hr. to answer emails and handle shipping. It'll cost $160 a week for half-time help and then everyone's happy. Then Justin can focus on building amps and speed production. Costs of doing business as they say...

Think: if he produces 75 Picos a month that's $37,500 in gross sales per month. And that doesn't include any other amps he may be selling. At that kind of business the, "Give him a break, he's just a lone amp builder doing it for the community" excuse kind of loses its muster
smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

Kinda harsh,but,I agree with the sentiment in general.

Still I would imagine he's doing a bang up job all things considered.... Cut him some slack ? And who cares how much he makes.

This not withstanding the fact that when I emailed him and pm'd him,he got back to me in two or so days,with answers to my asthetic questions,etc.He was very,very polite and very curteous
smily_headphones1.gif

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:20 PM Post #1,379 of 3,724
Quote:

...foolishness...

It really does seem just that easy when you're looking at one portion of his operation. What other pearls of wisdom do you have for us?

Feb 11, 2008 at 9:48 PM Post #1,380 of 3,724
Quote:

smily_headphones1.gif

--Illah

I wasn't referring to Justin, I was referring to everyone giving the guy a hard time about using the search function.

You knew you would have to wait and when you send e-mails to Justin pestering him then you just make it take longer. I would recommend that if you are going to be impatient and bad mouth Justin in his own thread that you go and buy an amplifier from someone like Meier next time as they have units built and ready to go. Justin works hard and you will get your product as soon as he can get it to you. Is there anything else you can ask of him? Besides telling him how to run his business! Maybe if you were busy like Justin is then you wouldn't have time to complain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back