HeadAmp Pico Portable Amp (w/ optional upsampling 24/96 USB DAC) Pre-Order Thread
Oct 7, 2008 at 3:18 PM Post #2,686 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I think he said he was running low on black cases because everyone orders black; that could be your problem; I could be wrong but I think I remember him saying that a few pages back when he mentioned that anyone who would consider changing their colour to silver could conceivably get their amp within 2 weeks from ordering

That was for new orders, I have enough black to cover all previous requests

HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
Oct 7, 2008 at 3:25 PM Post #2,687 of 3,724
ok my mistake
smily_headphones1.gif
smily_headphones1.gif

Oct 8, 2008 at 4:13 AM Post #2,691 of 3,724
I am now the proud possessor of a delightful little bronze Pico. I have never heard music through headphones sound so good. It's like, it brings details to the surface, without over-emphasizing any one aspect of the sound. "Balanced" seems like just the right way to describe the Pico's sound. Worth the wait? What does that even mean? - I was listening to great music through nice equipment the whole time. Things just got better now, is all. Worth the money? Absolutely! I feel silly for how long I dithered.

History:
May 17: order placed
July 14: Justin emailed with acknowledgement
Sept 9: payment request
Sept 12: paid
Oct 3: shipping notice
Oct 6: arrived at mailroom
Oct 7: picked it up!

Justin spends his time doing what he should be doing: building us our Picos and getting them shipped to us. Thanks for a great device.

Oct 8, 2008 at 6:54 PM Post #2,692 of 3,724
Pico order number #534

Ordered bronze pico, ship to CONUS: April 21st
Order acknowledged: April 29th
Payment request received: August 23rd
Paid: August 24th
Shipping notice received: October 3rd
Received: October 8th

Oct 10, 2008 at 4:11 PM Post #2,694 of 3,724
When I paid for my black Pico DAC on Sept. 4th (no customization at all), Justin told me that it would be built in the next two weeks. After waiting four weeks, I emailed and phoned him, but he has not responded to either message.

Now, a disorganized business is one thing, but it just starts to seem a little shady when the business owner has been paid, has not delivered when promised, and has not communicated or responded to inquiries. Does anyone have any suggestions as to how I should proceed?

For the record, order #417 and I'm in Maryland.

Oct 10, 2008 at 6:15 PM Post #2,695 of 3,724
Black Pico...no customization...#546...paid August 4...sent a couple of inquiries via emails...no reply...

A bit worried coz later orders than mine (and paid at later dates) have been shipped but no news on mine.

Don't know what else to do.
frown.gif

Oct 10, 2008 at 10:39 PM Post #2,696 of 3,724
Pre-Order Placed: May 10th, 2008
Pre-Order Acknowledged: July 14th, 2008
Payment Request: August 23, 2008
Payment Sent: August 24, 2008
Shipping Notice Received: October 6, 2008
Pico w/DAC Received: October 10, 2008

Yes, it was a lengthy wait. My initial impressions are quite good. The piano black gloss finish is quite striking, alas the unit is SO tiny that there isn't that much of it to look at. No matter how many times people have commented about the diminutive size, it still amazes me how something this small can sound so good!

I have tried both my Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm cans and my Shure SE530 IEMs. I used my iPhone 3G as the source for my initial tests and swapped back and forth between the built-in headphone output and the Pico headphone output. The Pico was connected to the iPhone via a Qables Performance series silver wire LOD.

The difference with the DT770s was quite noticeable, albeit somewhat wanting on the volume end of things. Even in high gain mode I can turn the volume on the Pico all the way up and still not find it overpowering. The soundstage difference between the iPhone and Pico headphone outs was however very telling - the Pico soundstage was so much more open and full. Resounding bass and crisp treble were both present, as was the somewhat duller mid-range.

The Shure SE530s on the other hand were a bit different. They sound quite good on the native iPhone headphone out but there is a subtle difference when listening through the Pico. Again, a fuller, more present soundstage. The oft-commented lack of treble in the SE530 was not as noticeable, and even with the gain of the Pico set to low, sometimes the treble was too much. That said, the SE530s will likely still see most of their use connected directly to the headphone out on the iPhone.

I then tried the Pico as an external audio DAC with my Macbook Pro. I plugged the unit in and it was recognized almost instantly by the Sound preference panel. I chose to direct output to the DAC and was immediately greeted with the same open yet full soundstage I had heard with my iPhone. Both the DT770s and the SE530 were tried, with my preference definitely leaning towards the DT770s.

So, after exactly 5 months wait, was it worth it? A most definite YES! Anyone sitting on the fence and wondering if the Pico is really worth the wait and all the fuss that people make over it should just get in line on the pre-order list. I do wish Justin the best and his continued success. The only comment to offer him is to try and improve communication and keep the masses informed about construction progress. It's very hard to keep your angst in check if you don't know what's going on.

Thanks again Justin... I'm sure I will continue to enjoy my Pico for years to come!
beyersmile.png

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:15 AM Post #2,699 of 3,724
yay I finally got my pico
That was some fast shipping from the states; I didn't expect to get it till wednesday at the earliest.

serial #429 silver/clear sides and knob/ electric blue front panel

pico pre-order 9th July 2008

order confirmation received 14th July 2008

Payment request received 10th September 2008

paid 11th September 2008

Shipping Notice 7th October 2008

Order received 13th October 2008

wow that was a painful wait but it does look and sound wonderful
biggrin.gif

Oct 13, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #2,700 of 3,724
Quote:

Originally Posted by qusp /img/forum/go_quote.gif
yay I finally got my pico...

serial #429 silver/clear sides and knob/ electric blue front panel

I bet that looks sweet! Picture please if you can. I agree, Pico looks and sounds wonderful. I'm currently enjoying mine with some Count Basie & Sarah Vaughan pumping into my '03 DT-880.

dt880smile.png

Users who are viewing this thread

Back