Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Jun 21, 2018 at 2:06 AM Post #9,241 of 9,899
At least with the Headamp BHSE, the two adjustments are push/pull bias balance (not bias level) and DC offset. I've swapped a few sets of vintage Mullards and Amperex/Phillips, and none of thee swaps has needed any adjustments of note. In fact I stopped readjusting between these known sets.

If you have well matched pairs/quads that are electrically where they should be, you may not need much (if any) adjustment between sets. But it's still a good idea to recheck everything when you pop in an unfamiliar set.

Yes, good point there. That's what Birgir recommends as well. I guess a Carbon's attractiveness is its plug and play ease of use..

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:28 PM Post #9,243 of 9,899
Yea and there has been a few group buys for the boards other over the last yearish, so I bet there are builders out there with boards in hand.

Then there is the DHT version too..

Jun 23, 2018 at 5:34 PM Post #9,244 of 9,899
Yes, good point there. That's what Birgir recommends as well. I guess a Carbon's attractiveness is its plug and play ease of use..
Yes, but once setup with good tubes (especially NOS), you can potentially go years without having to swap tubes or adjust. The BHSE is probably the lowest maintenance tube amp (well, at least with tube output stage) you'll ever find.

Jun 23, 2018 at 10:20 PM Post #9,246 of 9,899
Yes, but once setup with good tubes (especially NOS), you can potentially go years without having to swap tubes or adjust. The BHSE is probably the lowest maintenance tube amp (well, at least with tube output stage) you'll ever find.

I like what you said..but finding genuine NOS tubes like the ones you have is such a pain ...

Jun 23, 2018 at 11:22 PM Post #9,247 of 9,899
Well yes and no, the main problem is cost with the best rated NOS EL34 tubes. They can be had if you are wiling to pay. In some variants matching a quad will be hard, but the BHSE really just needs two pairs.

Jun 25, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #9,250 of 9,899
I like what you said..but finding genuine NOS tubes like the ones you have is such a pain ...

This has reminded me that I still have the very best (many say) vintage tubes for sale: A matched quad of Philips Metal Base, left over from my BHSE sale last year. These are at a very fair price compared to the market norm, but still quite an investment, and different people have different reactions, so I offer a money back guarantee (minus postage) if the buyer is not happy with them for any reason. Details in this link, which I haven't got round to changing since last year: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/fs-matched-tubes-for-bhse.861428/#post-13783372

PM me with reasoable offers if you're interested.
Also still for sale is a quad of non-vintage Shuguang Premium Treasures, in the same link.

Jul 6, 2018 at 5:57 PM Post #9,252 of 9,899
i happen to own the MSB Select II with 2 power supplies and the clock upgrade. while not any audio bargain, it walks it's talk in the performance neighborhood it competes in, and is a fantastically satisfying piece of audio gear to live with. if you are ever in the Seattle area you are welcome to come hear it.

not heard the MSB Select II Stat amp so i cannot comment. i have heard the MSB mono block amplifiers a number of times; and they are very fine; and while not cheap either they compete at a high level with other similarly prices amplifiers. if you have not investigated products like these, then realize maybe you are not in a position to judge.

i would suggest to actually listen to the performance of something prior to passing judgement. not that i expect that to happen, it's just my suggestion.

Well, I have owned some 30K DACs, and currently own the Aries Cerat Kassandra (less than 30K), and I can say hand on heart, the MSB Reference DAC I heard at Munich this year was very poor indeed, on the MSB demo system, albeit with some speakers I haven't hear before. But if MSB really is top notch, why those speakers, or the poor sound. I was with 12 other guys in that room and they all said the same thing.... it was flat, very digital and unrealistic.

Jul 6, 2018 at 6:33 PM Post #9,253 of 9,899
Astro, as an Aries Cerat Kassandra fan-boy, if you are going to diss the MSB Reference at the Munich Show, then at least explain how people specifically dissed the amps and speakers it was mated to. and even voiced their surprise that MSB would agree to show with them. the What's Best Forum thread related to that room was universal in their negative speaker/amp/room comments.

I was not in Munich, so have no opinion about it. but context is everything in judging show performance. and getting negative on specific source gear without relevant context is not right.

have a nice day.

Last edited:
Jul 6, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #9,254 of 9,899
Astro, as an Aries Cerat Kassandra fan-boy, if you are going to diss the MSB Reference at the Munich Show, then at least explain how people specifically dissed the amps and speakers it was mated to. and even voiced their surprise that MSB would agree to show with them. the What's Best Forum thread related to that room was universal in their negative speaker/amp/room comments.

I was not in Munich, so have no opinion about it. but context is everything in judging show performance. and getting negative on specific source gear without relevant context is not right.

have a nice day.
Not an Aries Cerat Fanboy, unless you are an MSB fanboy as well for the same reason - have a DAC they are delighted with.

My point, why did MSB use those speakers if it ruined the sound of the 'great' Reference DAC? Seems like falling on their own sword. Sorry no excuses, that room was poor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back