Headamp Blue Hawaii Special Edition
Feb 11, 2018 at 10:02 AM Post #9,211 of 9,882
I had a chance to listen to the Blue Hawaii / SR-009 this weekend at a HeadFi meet in Phoenix. I was floored! It is hands down the best system I’ve ever had the chance to listen to. I don’t know how or when, but I’m going to get myself into that rig someday.

...and it looks absolutely stunning in champagne. A combination I never would have picked, but in person - uniquely gorgeous

Last edited:
Feb 11, 2018 at 10:07 AM Post #9,212 of 9,882
I had a chance to listen to the Blue Hawaii / SR-009 this weekend at a HeadFi meet in Phoenix. I was floored! It is hands down the best system I’ve ever had the chance to listen to. I don’t know how or when, but I’m going to get myself into that rig someday.

...and it looks absolutely stunning in rose gold. A combination I never would have picked, but in person - uniquely gorgeous

I think there was also a MrSpeaker new electrostatic headphone on HeadAmp's booth ? Have you been able to compare it withj the SR009 (on the BHSE of course :wink: ?

Feb 11, 2018 at 10:10 AM Post #9,213 of 9,882
I think there was also a MrSpeaker new electrostatic headphone on HeadAmp's booth ? Have you been able to compare it withj the SR009 (on the BHSE of course :wink: ?
There was. The first time I listened to it I was immediately underwhelmed. Turns out there was an extra piece of foam dampening stuffed into each ear piece. Once Peter removed it, it opened up dramatically. That said, I didn’t think it held a candle to the SR-009. It’s not that the MrSpeakers prototype was bad - the SR-009 was just that good.

Feb 11, 2018 at 11:02 AM Post #9,215 of 9,882
I’ll start out with a disclaimer that a HeadFi meet is probably the worst place to audition a set of open ‘phones. People are all around you and speaking loudly. There is no good way to get a “real” evaluation in, at best you get the general gist of a product with nonetheless of the deeper details. There was just way too much room noise.

In short, I felt that the SR-009 has a broader presence and soundstage. I also found the SR-009 to have better bass response.

If you have a chance look up Doug MacLeod’s track Vanetta. That was our reference track. It’s an acoustic blues track, guitar, voice and foot tapping.

I preferred the vocal imaging in the 009 and I got a better sense of the depth of the recoding studio.

As I mentioned before Mr. Speakers were good, but it’s seemed like the SR-009 just did everything better. If I had a quieter room and a notepad, I would have been able to give you a much better comparison.
Wish I had a more detailed reply

Feb 13, 2018 at 9:16 AM Post #9,218 of 9,882
Here's a pix that Peter at HeadAmp snapped during the Phoenix meet and which I gratuitously ripped off Facebook to share here. :)

27913267_1684243154932313_2597752530341903435_o.jpg

Feb 17, 2018 at 10:36 AM Post #9,219 of 9,882
Thanks @T Bone. I have been wondering what/where/how the VOCE stand against 009!

009 is a beast, and it keeps scaling up with the systems. Of course it would also spit into your ears if you connect it to a low quality system.

IMO, 009 is a super model that knows her ground. She would sing effortlessly, dance, and perform like nothing else on the shelves and melt your brain+heart and make you drunk with her performances. However, she can also be very harsh and beat you up if you don’t provide enough of the things that is needed to let her perform.

BHSE is one of the product that we are all so lucky to have from Dr. KG. Yet, I see audio for head gears are being more expensive over time. However, from my experiences and what I know, the BHSE is in no way “over-priced”. It is priced just right for everything that it is. I wouldn’t even be surprised if one day the demand is so great that the MSRP may be adjusted to the inflation at all. It can only make senses. If you can afford Any Stax with BHSE or other KG amps, do it. It will save so much headaches, so much money, time, and most importantly, it cuts out a lot of BS from clueless people or marketing folks. Though, if you can have the heart and will, you can always take the journey and enlighten yourself :)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2018 at 10:14 PM Post #9,221 of 9,882
Holy CRAP that champagne BHSE looks gorgeous. And though I'm heavily biased against all non-Stax electrostats (until proven otherwise), that Voce actually looks quite lovely; at least superficially it seems to have awesome build quality. Hats off to Mr. Speakers for showing up Hifiman on how to put together a non-Stax electrostat.

Last edited:
Apr 3, 2018 at 7:53 PM Post #9,222 of 9,882
Holy CRAP that champagne BHSE looks gorgeous

Agreed for those that have vintage gear or new gear that has a vintage look the champagne is killer. I imagine seeing that being feed by an old school turntable.

Jun 19, 2018 at 3:32 PM Post #9,223 of 9,882
Any BHSE owner in the N.Y Tri-State area willing to meet up with me so I can compare their amp to the Mjolner Carbon I have on loan? I’m trying to decide between these two amps and would love the opportunity to make an informed decision.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:18 PM Post #9,224 of 9,882
Any BHSE owner in the N.Y Tri-State area willing to meet up with me so I can compare their amp to the Mjolner Carbon I have on loan? I’m trying to decide between these two amps and would love the opportunity to make an informed decision.

If you are willing to come to Brooklyn, we might be able to setup something. I would not mind hearing the Carbon and/or some of your other gear. Send me a msg.

Jun 19, 2018 at 6:49 PM Post #9,225 of 9,882

The amps are soooo different, it should take about 3 seconds to decide which one you prefer. :beyersmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back