Head-to-Head: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (TMA-1 Review)
Dec 10, 2010 at 12:38 AM Post #48 of 161
I wouldn't have access to an EQ all the time other than on itunes, so would you recommend that I get the M50s instead? I'm really trying hard to decide between the two. The price just may be a huge factor considering I can get the M50s for around $100 and the TMA-1s cost around $200, but I may just have to save up.

Dec 10, 2010 at 12:51 AM Post #49 of 161
I am still burning in my TMA-1 and haven't really listen too critically, but as far as I am concerned,  TMA-1 + Sansa Clip will remain my portable setup for awhile because the combination of the 2 is just that awesome.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:12 AM Post #52 of 161
I thought both were closed cans? From what other people are saying, the soundstage and isolation between the two are about even or close, so the only thing that worries me is that curly said that the M50s are better without an EQ. I really think the TMA-1s are right for me, bit I'm not too sure about that little detail.

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:51 AM Post #53 of 161
weird I thought they had about the same isolation. 

I don't truly consider tma's or any on ear headsets full closed back...like the iem.....

but as far as I can tell...

m50 sounds good without amps.....

tma sounds better than m50 without amps......but sounds even better with amps. 

btw...sound is so subjective....what I feel sounds good, would sound terrible for you....

Dec 10, 2010 at 1:53 AM Post #54 of 161
another thing to take notice....

the wires on the m50 are not removeable, (unlike tmas) so if it breaks, your be in trouble....

same thing with the cushions.....kind of a pain in the butt to replace.

also m50's are heavier....I dunno about you, but if I am going anywhere for more than 2 hours, I want something light on my head and ears.....

plus everything on the tma-s are replaceable.....

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:53 AM Post #56 of 161

Quote:
I wouldn't have access to an EQ all the time other than on itunes, so would you recommend that I get the M50s instead? I'm really trying hard to decide between the two. The price just may be a huge factor considering I can get the M50s for around $100 and the TMA-1s cost around $200, but I may just have to save up.

This would be completely subjective.  Could I get used to the un-EQd "dark" sound signature of the TMA-1?  Probably, and it may be worth it for the extra detail clarity and more 3D presentation.  At the moment, however, my ears prefer the way the M50 sounds un-EQd as it's more balanced.  Again, I don't fault AiAiAi for the design choice as it was done to accommodate professional DJ applications.

Quote:
Mikop, how is the isolation compared to the M50s? And the soundstage?

To be honest, I'd say isolation for the listener is about the same.  I've never had an issue blocking out the world with either headphone.  I suspect that the TMA-1 would leak more sound than the M50 due to the supra-aural design, but I may be wrong.  After doing some listening with the M50, I've gotten the sarcastic "loud enough for ya'?" high sign from my fiancee.  On the other hand, when I first received the TMA-1, I did a bit of listening while she was in the same room.  After about a half hour, I took them off, asked her if she could hear anything (I was so excited upon receiving them that I forgot to be considerate in the first place... oops) and she responded with "nope."  Perhaps the smaller cup size directs the sound to the eardrum better leading you to listen at what are actually lower volume levels.

The soundstage is better on the TMA-1.  It's sort of a contradiction as it gives a more forward presentation, but the instrument separation and dynamics help to create a sense of space around you.  The M50, by comparison, seems to place everything directly in front of the listener, albeit at a distance.  This leads to a more congested, smaller sound in my opinion.  It's not bad when taken on its own, but definitely lacks the wow factor of the former.  Of course, forward presentations aren't for everyone, so this would again be subjective.

Dec 10, 2010 at 3:33 PM Post #57 of 161
I have a discounted link to purchase the TMA-1: 150 +tax+shipping so about 170 total.
I was going to get them but don't think I can afford these right now.
PM me if interested!

Dec 10, 2010 at 9:13 PM Post #58 of 161
Curly, would you say I would get a noticeable improvement by adding a Fiio E3 or E5 to my system ? (Ipod CLassic or Sansa Clip+) Or should I go with a bigger budget of about 100 dollars (Fiio E7 or anything else in that price range) for the tma's to sound that much better ? Considering that I would use the amp only at home, so it doesn't need to be portable.

Thx :)

Dec 10, 2010 at 10:31 PM Post #59 of 161

Quote:
Curly, would you say I would get a noticeable improvement by adding a Fiio E3 or E5 to my system ? (Ipod CLassic or Sansa Clip+) Or should I go with a bigger budget of about 100 dollars (Fiio E7 or anything else in that price range) for the tma's to sound that much better ? Considering that I would use the amp only at home, so it doesn't need to be portable.

Thx :)

Sorry, but I can't comment on the Fiios as I have no first hand experience with them.  I have read enough good impressions of the Fiio E7 to pique my interest, but I have little use for a portable at the moment.  I'm currently finding warmer headphones to fit my preferred SQ, but they can seemingly gloss over details and become muddy at times.  This effect was compounded by my Meier Arietta as it sits at the warm side of neutral, and that's why I upgraded to the PPAv2.  The output is crisp while staying neutral.  Warm headphones sound warm and bright headphones sound bright, but they all sound detailed.  I would suggest something that compliments your preferred SQ, (i.e. offsets the possible shortcomings and brings out the qualities you enjoy) save up if needed, and then pull the trigger when the right deal comes along.  A headphone like the TMA-1 doesn't need an amp to impress.  Instead of going through multiple hit or miss upgrades purchase what will (most likely) do the job the first time regardless of affordability and availability in the immediate

Dec 11, 2010 at 6:30 PM Post #60 of 161
I really must get a set of these great cans, & thanks for the great read!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back