Head-to-Head: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (TMA-1 Review)
Apr 8, 2011 at 2:18 AM Post #151 of 161
I'm really contemplating selling my M50s so I can get some cash to get a pair of these TMA-1's after all this talk. They sound fantastic!

Apr 8, 2011 at 2:41 AM Post #152 of 161
Not sure how I missed such a blazing FOTM, but arent these almost double the asking price of the M50 in many countries ?? Amazon has the M50 for $119 and the TMA-1 for $199 - am I missing something here ?

Apr 8, 2011 at 4:48 AM Post #153 of 161

Quote:
Not sure how I missed such a blazing FOTM, but arent these almost double the asking price of the M50 in many countries ?? Amazon has the M50 for $119 and the TMA-1 for $199 - am I missing something here ?

No you are not. The TMA-1 has an asking price that is pretty high. in Denmark where the company is from they cost 270$. I onjoy my TMA-1 very much because of several factors:
High level of detail. Incredible bass (does more or less everything right her). Can be run directly out of a portable. Very clean sound. Comfortable. Looks great. Detachable cable.  
But at the pricepoint you need to like more factors than just the sound otherwise other alternatives can be found easily that may have a better performance/price relationship. For me a combination of an insane deal on the phones and the fact that these cans have met many of my wants at once make them the best headphone purchase ever.

For a person without access to a good EQ and without want for any other factor than sound i would look somewhere else.

One warning I would like to make is to watch the listening volume. These cans sound so clean and play so loud that you need to watch the volume. You won't fell the damaging effects during listening as with more harsh sounding equipment so watch it (warning written with ringing ears). 

Apr 8, 2011 at 11:48 AM Post #154 of 161

Quote:
I'm really contemplating selling my M50s so I can get some cash to get a pair of these TMA-1's after all this talk. They sound fantastic!

If you are happy with the sound signature of your M50's you might be disappointed with the TMA-1. They are very dark.  Comparing them to my own M50's, I decided it wasn't worth the price, so I returned them.

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:05 PM Post #155 of 161

Quote:

If you are happy with the sound signature of your M50's you might be disappointed with the TMA-1. They are very dark.  Comparing them to my own M50's, I decided it wasn't worth the price, so I returned them.

I definitely enjoy the sound that comes from my M50's, but do find the bass lacking sometimes (in terms of rumble). Also, they can become fatiguing for me after a few hours. Most importantly, since they are circumuaral they tend to press on my thick frame glasses. I am hoping the over ear design of the TMA-1's might fix this and be the comfortable headphone I have been looking for. What made you decide the TMA-1's weren't worth it?

Apr 8, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #156 of 161
Also, I realize this is probably not the right place to post this, but I am also thinking about the Denon AH-D1100 as they have been praised as UBER comfortable with huge leather ear pads and a nice nice bass. I read through the comparison but it was fairly inconclusive. Anyone have experience or opinions?

Thanks!

Apr 11, 2011 at 3:03 AM Post #157 of 161
The sound signature was just too dark for me. I kept a/b'ing between my TMA-1's and M50's.  I liked the mids better on the TMA's since the M50's mids are a bit recessed. Like you, I'd like a bit more in the sub-bass, but despite what other head-fiers were saying, I thought the M50's had better bass extension. The TMA's had more bass everywhere else except for the sub-bass. But ultimately the highs are what killed it for me. I was looking forward to a darker headphone since I'm very sensitive to treble. I also found my M50's to be fatiguing sometimes. But the darkness of the TMA's was too much. Although I did like the mids, the treble attenuation muffled up any vocals. Also, the TMA's are very comfortable, but with glasses, My ears started to hurt before the one-hour mark.

So IMO M50 vs. TMA-1:

Lows: M50
Mids:TMA-1
Highs:M50
Comfort:M50
Portability:TMA-1

I got my M50's for $110, and I just couldn't justify spending almost twice as much for an inferior sounding headphone. It's well built, has a great design, and is very portable. That much appealed to me a lot, but as far as sound goes, not worth the price.

Currently, I listen to my M50's with DT250 velor pads. This fixed the sometimes-piercing highs for me and increased the bass slightly, just to give you an idea of another route to audio happiness.

As for the D1100's they have more bass, better mids, and slightly rolled off treble compared to the M50's. But I think the M50's have tighter and deeper bass. This is from memory. My friend had a pair and I listened to them briefly. Also, they were very comfortable. Very light on the head.

There you go. Sorry for the long post, but I hope it helps!

Apr 24, 2011 at 3:42 PM Post #158 of 161
awsome review! it was all I needed to read to buy one..
well, two actually, lol. i got a better deal from buying the second one, so I'll be selling one of them for $160 + PP fees(looking to break even); incase anyone is interested
biggrin.gif

May 26, 2011 at 12:35 AM Post #159 of 161
I'll be getting the TMA-1s pretty soon. The ATH-M50s aren't cutting it for me anymore. After a few hours the start to bother me and they press against my thick glasses. Also, they get pretty hot when moving to do simple little tasks which gets annoying, especially if your looking for something portable. I think I'm going to sell my ATH-M50s, I still have the warranty for them.

May 26, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #160 of 161
Ha!  Some activity in this thread since I've last been here.

Still liking the TMA-1, but with the Edition 8 in the house it's tough to justify keeping them as they've been getting no head time.  The latter just does everything better... as it should given the price disparity.  I do, however, still find them to be surprisingly comfortable.  Maybe I just got used to supra-aural and have established a preference, but I actually find them to be more comfortable than the Edition 8.

That said, the ones from this review will probably be hitting the for sale forum in the next few days along with all the extra pads and cables I've acquired for it.

Aug 31, 2014 at 12:36 PM Post #161 of 161
Just ordered the M50Xs yesterday and i read this review now.Not sure if i should cancel my order now.
I was going to go for the TMA-1,but since i have never used on-ear headphones,only over-ear,im not sure i will be ok with the comfort.
I wear glasses also,so comfort is one thing.Sound quality is the other one.From what i read,i should go for the TMA-1,since i listen mostly to electronic music,some hip-hop,breaks,dubstep and etc.
Im sure i will be happy with both models SQ,but comfort is the one thing im not so sure about the TMA-1s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back