Head-to-Head: AIAIAI TMA-1 vs. Audio Technica ATH-M50 (TMA-1 Review)
Dec 7, 2010 at 10:21 AM Post #17 of 161
Great review. Subscribed. Look forward to participating in the ongoing discussion here. 

I find some of the same results by just ticking up the highest treble band in the EQ too. Just +1 on that band does the trick for me when listening straight out of the Sony X1060. However, when using the Arrow amp, no adjustments needed! And I find with the Arrow that they scale up very well just as you described.

Dec 7, 2010 at 11:05 AM Post #18 of 161

Quote:
Dang. I was looking to use this as a portable solution, but the ipod's EQ sucks.  So without EQing the M50 is better? Would you say it's bad?

The iPod has many pre-set EQ settings, try the treble booster or some of the others, and see if they make it sound any better than you. But either way, as stated above, they sound amazing with anything thrown at them, and do not necessarily need to be EQ'd.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:14 PM Post #20 of 161

Quote:
But either way, as stated above, they sound amazing with anything thrown at them, and do not necessarily need to be EQ'd.

BRSxlgnition,
[size=10pt]Your enthusiasm is great, however you have 118 posts in just over a month, and many (almost all) of these posts are championing the praises of the TMA-1 as if it is best thing since slice bread; a headphone that you do not yet have.  Forgive me if I am wrong, but the actual head time that you have had with this headphone must be very limited, and I doubt you have heard the TMA-1 with a variety of sources and amps (".....anything thrown at them"), and particularly not for any length of time.  Your statement above and others that you have made are I suspect, from your excitement and wishful thinking more than from your actual use/understanding.  Based on your posts I also assume that your experience with other comparable headphones is also very limited (mostly what you have read), so in the interests of a balanced opinion my advice would be to temper your enthusiasm and opinion of the TMA-1 to your first hand familiarity and knowledge.[/size]
[size=10pt]I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but blind fanboyism can become a bit wearying after a while and does nothing for credibility.  I am a TMA-1 fan myself, however my opinion is formed from my actual know-how of the headphone, and is relative to other headphones I have owned.[/size]

[size=10pt]I hope you enjoy your TMA-1 when you get them, I am sure you will, because they are very good headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]As an aside, very well written review Curly21029.  [/size]

EDIT:  However as I stated in my review,  I agree with with dfkt's statement below.

"Personally, I didn't hear much difference with amping them vs. straight out of an MP3 player, but have to agree on everything else."

And I don't EQ my TMA-1.

Dec 7, 2010 at 4:58 PM Post #21 of 161

Quote:
Quote:
But either way, as stated above, they sound amazing with anything thrown at them, and do not necessarily need to be EQ'd.

BRSxlgnition,
[size=10pt]Your enthusiasm is great, however you have 118 posts in just over a month, and many (almost all) of these posts are championing the praises of the TMA-1 as if it is best thing since slice bread; a headphone that you do not yet have.  Forgive me if I am wrong, but the actual head time that you have had with this headphone must be very limited, and I doubt you have heard the TMA-1 with a variety of sources and amps (".....anything thrown at them"), and particularly not for any length of time.  Your statement above and others that you have made are I suspect, from your excitement and wishful thinking more than from your actual use/understanding.  Based on your posts I also assume that your experience with other comparable headphones is also very limited (mostly what you have read), so in the interests of a balanced opinion my advice would be to temper your enthusiasm and opinion of the TMA-1 to your first hand familiarity and knowledge.[/size]
[size=10pt]I hope you don't take this the wrong way, but blind fanboyism can become a bit wearying after a while and does nothing for credibility.  I am a TMA-1 fan myself, however my opinion is formed from my actual know-how of the headphone, and is relative to other headphones I have owned.[/size]

[size=10pt]I hope you enjoy your TMA-1 when you get them, I am sure you will, because they are very good headphones.[/size]

[size=10pt]As an aside, very well written review Curly21029.  [/size]

EDIT:  However as I stated in my review,  I agree with with dfkt's statement below.

"Personally, I didn't hear much difference with amping them vs. straight out of an MP3 player, but have to agree on everything else."

And I don't EQ my TMA-1.

It's like Avix (Or whatever his name is, sorry, can't remember). He keeps hyping and recommending the GMP 8.35 D Headphones.

When people hear something, see something, or experience something good, they want others to know.

I didn't go as far as to recommend these headphones to anyone who it wouldn't fit their needs. (A high end, portable, closed, sturdy headphone). I simply listened, loved, and spread the word. If I ever experience a better headphone for the price, you can be sure I will spread the word of that as well.

Sorry if people got the wrong idea, but I've actually been on Head-fi once or twice with different names, so I have some experience with headphones that are recommended a bit. I still own the broken pair of M50's, and AKG 241's. I've also gone to the store where I could demo these quite a few times to make sure they were right for me. I'm sorry if I let my excitement get the better of me.
wink.gif

It's a mix of that and seeing something great that goes by unnoticed. I hate seeing that.
redface.gif

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:24 PM Post #22 of 161
Thank you so much for this excellent review! I've been waiting for a head to head comparison of these two cans. This review answered a lot of my questions. Thanks again! :)

Dec 7, 2010 at 5:33 PM Post #23 of 161

Quote:
Quote:

"Forgive me if I am wrong, but the actual head time that you have had with this headphone must be very limited, and I doubt you have heard the TMA-1 with a variety of sources and amps (".....anything thrown at them"), and particularly not for any length of time.  Your statement above and others that you have made are I suspect, from your excitement and wishful thinking more than from your actual use/understanding. "

I was pretty much talking about what was said in the article when I said "Anything thrown at them". I've only tested them at the store out of only my laptop and iPod touch 4g many times, so out of those, they sound great. Others, I can only go by what is said on here.

Also, You're forgiven. I've gone to a store I found just after re-joining Head-fi many times now just to audition these and compare them to my now broken M50's. The M50's, I had for about a year and a half or so, and I was equally as excited about them when I got them. My first major headphones beside those were the Sennheiser 515's before them. I've had quite a bit of experience with headphones, albeit, not out of many sources. I guess I act a little childish, getting so excited about things like this, but I do really like what I've been hearing from them, literally and here on head-fi. I will do a much better review of it when I finally get them, but I can understand Why you'd think I'm getting into it a bit too much. Also, about all the posts, I'm online alot, so I tend to just stay at my forums, posting on whatever catches my attention.

I think it might even just be the Christmas season making me happy. Heheh.. 
tongue.gif
 Sorry again...

Dec 8, 2010 at 12:58 AM Post #24 of 161
Back on topic... 
smile_phones.gif

Quote:
Thank you so much for this excellent review! I've been waiting for a head to head comparison of these two cans. This review answered a lot of my questions. Thanks again! :)

"A lot," but not all?  What other questions do you have?  Is there anyone else with any questions?

Listening to a vinyl rip of Ø's Oleva right now through the amp my fiancee graciously let me move into the living room.  Firstly, I forgot what a great use of the media it is.  Secondly, it sounds beyond amazing!  The way the TMA-1 tames the treble, hits on the lows, reproduces the recorded in a cave feeling, and capitalizes on the vinyl's added texture and coloration really brings the record to life!  It feels a bit smaller than the HD600 used presented it due to the naturally smaller closed-back soundstage, but considering everything else that it does better it's well worth the tradeoff.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:29 AM Post #26 of 161
Excellent review Curly!

I wish I had read this somewhat earlier. About a month ago I was struggling to find a new headphone. These TMA-1s struck me as quite beautiful and piqued my interest. Yet, very few reviews were available at that time, making it a difficult purchase (especially since I was looking for my first high end headphone). I therefore started looking elsewhere and narrowed my selection to two headphones: beyerdynamic DT990 and aiaiai TMA-1. Due to the sparse number of reviews, I ended up getting the DT990. Reading this makes me wish I had purchased the TMA-1 just for the fact that they sound so good un-amped. They would have been perfect for my workplace (as I can't bring my desktop amp there) and just for everyday portable listening. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy my DT990s, but the mobility of the TMA-1s are a huge plus that I would really enjoy.

After reading this review, I might just have to get them anyway.

Dec 8, 2010 at 1:43 AM Post #28 of 161

Quote:
Excellent review Curly!

I wish I had read this somewhat earlier. About a month ago I was struggling to find a new headphone. These TMA-1s struck me as quite beautiful and piqued my interest. Yet, very few reviews were available at that time, making it a difficult purchase (especially since I was looking for my first high end headphone). I therefore started looking elsewhere and narrowed my selection to two headphones: beyerdynamic DT990 and aiaiai TMA-1. Due to the sparse number of reviews, I ended up getting the DT990. Reading this makes me wish I had purchased the TMA-1 just for the fact that they sound so good un-amped. They would have been perfect for my workplace (as I can't bring my desktop amp there) and just for everyday portable listening. Don't get me wrong I really enjoy my DT990s, but the mobility of the TMA-1s are a huge plus that I would really enjoy.

After reading this review, I might just have to get them anyway.

If you can afford it, and want it enough to spend said money, go ahead. I can't wait for mine to arrive, as the portability was a big plus for me as well. I also waited for reviews a bit, because these seemed rather low-key at first.

I was like you, since I was originally looking at what people would call completely different headphones. (AKG K540, ATH-M50, DT990, AKG K242) From all the good reviews and details, these better live up to the hype. Then again, they sound great for me during my short (but sweet) trips to my music store.

Here's hoping.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back