Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Mar 28, 2011 at 9:56 PM Post #316 of 470
I have Turbine Pro Coppers as well, fantastic dynamics.

And I still have my RE0.  I was chilling with it and some trance earlier today.

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:19 AM Post #317 of 470
Hey meyameya,

I appreciate your review of the RE0's very much. I have been thinking very seriously about getting some for a while now.

Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions. . .what is your source component you are using (is it an iPod or an MP3 player, or something like that)?, and. . .what are the different types or kinds of music you are listening to in making your determination about your RE0's?]

Thanks a lot!
etysmile.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 7:54 AM Post #318 of 470

Quote:
Hey meyameya,

I appreciate your review of the RE0's very much. I have been thinking very seriously about getting some for a while now.

Do you mind if I ask you a couple of questions. . .what is your source component you are using (is it an iPod or an MP3 player, or something like that)?, and. . .what are the different types or kinds of music you are listening to in making your determination about your RE0's?]

Thanks a lot!
etysmile.gif

Sure :)

Source:     MP3(320 kbps converted from FLACs) -> iPod Nano(2nd gen) -> FiiO L3 -> FiiO L5 -> RE0s

I'm not very good in identifying genres but they are in general rock (four year strong, paramore, the used, anberlin, versaemerge, head automatica, envy on the coast, john mayer, goo goo dolls, third eye blind etc)

For bass heavy songs i listen to a few RnB songs with some KPop songs.

some local music as well like Franco/urbandub/up dharma down

Out of the box there was some sibilance from the snare drums and high notes. Not so much after some burn in.
Like I said before, the bass will be lacking. The e5 heavily compensates for it with the bass boost. the RE0s need an amp anyway so... 2 birds, one stone?
I want to emphasize the instrument separation and clarity though. you'll be hearing a lot of new stuff out of your music. :)

Mar 29, 2011 at 1:42 PM Post #319 of 470
Thanks very much for this info. It's very helpful to me. Right now I own two pairs of IE's (and no OE's, as I prefer the IE's, instead). I've got a pair of VIBES and a pair of UE 700's. The 700's are newer, and have just shy of about 200 hours of burn-in. For a long time I had been thinking that the VIBES blew away the 700's, because the bass is so much better, more detailed, tighter and more punchy, and way more evident than on the 700's. Plus the 700's have had this issue with sibilance during much of the burn-in process, but now that I am at around 200 hours, I have to admit, a lot of that sibilance is gone, and the overall sound has warmed up quite a bit though.

When it comes to bass alone, the VIBES still blow the 700's out of the water. But when it comes to the mid's and higher frequencies, I believe that the 700 has the VIBES beat. I was just thinking that the RE0's might sound even better than the 700's in this respect. Problem is though, I really prefer NOT needing to have to amp anything. I like an easy, no frills system (just my iPod and my IE's, and nothing else to have to deal with).

There was someone on here who had a box of unopened RE0's, who said he'd be willing to trade me for my 700's. I told him I was going to wait a bit (that was back when these had only around 150 hours burn-in). But now I just might take him up on it.

Thanks again for your info. Sorry if this 'review' of the VIBES and 700's is not posted in the "correct" area. I can't imagine that anyone will be offended, though, but stranger things have happened, I'm sure
biggrin.gif
etysmile.gif
bigsmile_face.gif

Mar 29, 2011 at 6:07 PM Post #320 of 470
I can't comment on how they'd compare with the 700s or vibes since I don't own them or know anyone who do T_T.

Just a comment on not wanting an amp though... If I'm not mistaken, there are a lot of IEMs that sound best with an amp, especially the higher end ones so I think the investment is worth it. Also, if we're talking about just the E5, it's so small so it won't be that much of a hassle - AND - saves up on iPod battery because the amp's battery is drained more first =P However, I do understand wanting to keep it simple with no extra gear attached to your rig so it's really up to you :D

Mar 29, 2011 at 8:47 PM Post #321 of 470
UE700 don't need any amp, they sounds with their character. Yeah, they've got sibilance, but it is with them, not more problems. They are sounds a little special.
Some people found that Re0 sounds like sa6/ety4 etc. I was reading some thread about re0 vs ue18, interesting...
UE700 never been special detailed sound earphones, they are made for good details and fun sound, not like ety4 for monitoring sound.

Mar 29, 2011 at 11:15 PM Post #322 of 470
Indeed.
RE0 is quite analytical and transparent, more than enough to where opamp rolling is gobs of fun.  =D
MTPC is even more revealing, but RE0 has the edge with micro-detail a little bit.

Apr 1, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #323 of 470
I just traded for a T4/REO combo. I'll be running it out of my ipod touch with a LOD. Any takes on how it will sound? Anyone running that rig? I'm specifically curious if they distort much when turned up loud. I ride a bike around so it's an isolation/loudness balance. Thanks folks.

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:16 PM Post #324 of 470

Quote:
I just traded for a T4/REO combo. I'll be running it out of my ipod touch with a LOD. Any takes on how it will sound? Anyone running that rig? I'm specifically curious if they distort much when turned up loud. I ride a bike around so it's an isolation/loudness balance. Thanks folks.

Hi,

Forgive me for my ignorance, but I honestly do not know what 'LOD' means. Are you referring to a type of equalizer (or something similar)?

Reason I ask is, like you I just traded for a pair of RE0's and received them today. I had posted elsewhere here (ironically, in the RE0 disappointment thread --- something I really should have posted in THIS thread instead, since I am anything BUT disappointed with them thus far) that I was very happy with the sound thus far (surprised me that IE's could sound this good out of the box).

I too am using an iPod (4th gen Touch) as my source at the moment, just playing mostly classic stuff from the '70's and '80's.

Cheers!

Apr 1, 2011 at 3:50 PM Post #326 of 470
OK, cool. . .thanks for that clarification/info
ksc75smile.gif

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:15 PM Post #327 of 470

Quote:
Reason I ask is, like you I just traded for a pair of RE0's and received them today. I had posted elsewhere here (ironically, in the RE0 disappointment thread --- something I really should have posted in THIS thread instead, since I am anything BUT disappointed with them thus far) that I was very happy with the sound thus far (surprised me that IE's could sound this good out of the box).

I know, right?!??!?! I mean, these people must have incredible standards to be disappointed in the RE0s. Funny because I saw the disappointment thread after I already ordered the RE0s and it made me worry - instead, after hearing it for myself and expecting to be disappointed listening to them out of the box, it made me love it even more! and even more than that after the burn in! there's just so much more clarity to what I'm hearing from the music i've been listening to for a long time :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:22 PM Post #328 of 470
Well, I've got to wonder if the ones who state such a hatred of these must either not be getting a good seal, OR they are so used to bass-heavy equipment, and are expecting these to be also. I am NOT a basshead, but I DO like to hear the bass when its there. So far these RE0's have not disappointed --- sure the bass could be a little more forward, but I don't really feel like I'm missing much, though. . .if anything maybe it was this balance that I've been looking for all along.

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:35 PM Post #329 of 470
Actually, I do feel the lack of bass so the E5 is a great amp combo for me personally.. even then, the bass isn't as strong as the bass heavy gear - which is good. because now the bass doesn't drown out all the other details. are you using different tips for these? A lot of people tend to use the shure olive foam tips saying they're the best combo. I'm pretty satisfied with the smaller biflange tips. but I wear them differently.. I push it all the way back to get the drivers closer to my ear.. you might wanna try that if you're using the same tips :)

Apr 1, 2011 at 4:46 PM Post #330 of 470
I think you have a great point about not having the bass drown everything else out. My other pair of IE's (at the moment) are a pair of V-Moda VIBES. They pack a very good, strong 'punch' of bass for the money. But until I tried the UE-700's, I didn't know what I was missing in the other frequencies (from the VIBES). But for as great as the UE's might have been, I really wasn't all that impressed. I don't know, I was just missing something. They sound kind phony to me, for some reason. I can't really explain it. 

But I don't notice this same phoniness (is that even a word?) with the RE0's. I too am using the small bi-flange tips (the white ones). The larger ones did not stay in my ears and were uncomfortable. But these smaller ones seem to be perfect for my tastes. And, tend to stick them pretty far into my ear canal, as well (like yourself).

So I guess we are pretty much on the same page with these RE0's
beerchug.gif
ksc75smile.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back