Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Jul 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #151 of 470

Quote:
Nice trick!

I actually have an E7 connected to my X-fi soundcard as a dac and using the E7 as a amp. with levels of bass boost for my Shure SRH840 (I don't use any bass boost though).. I was thinking of getting an E5 for my RE0 but listening to it unamped/amped.. I don't think it's necessary and there's always burn to take into account.

Well, for the $25 or so for the E5, I find it actually fills out the sound of any phone.  Some phones and the RE0 esp, just need a bit more juice to sound better.  I had the E7 for a week or so, but found it didn't do much more than the E5 as a straight amp.  I tried it as a DAC, and it did sound good, but my desktop computer has good onboard sound already.

Jul 22, 2010 at 2:22 PM Post #152 of 470

Quote:
Well, for the $25 or so for the E5, I find it actually fills out the sound of any phone.  Some phones and the RE0 esp, just need a bit more juice to sound better.  I had the E7 for a week or so, but found it didn't do much more than the E5 as a straight amp.  I tried it as a DAC, and it did sound good, but my desktop computer has good onboard sound already.

I believe that's because the RE0 doesn't need the E7. It doesn't need that much.

Honestly my X-fi soundcard+ E7 as an amp for my Shure SRH840 sound fantastic.

Jul 24, 2010 at 9:22 AM Post #153 of 470
I've had the RE0's for a couple months now and love them.  I've had very limited experience with quality headphones/IEM's.  The most money I've spent (to date) for an increase in sound quality was the $100 I put down for these and a FiiO E5.  I made the decision to buy them based mainly on reviews I read here for a couple weeks beforehand.  I knew they weren't going to have a lot of bass before I bought them (the primary complaint), and I'm glad I got these.  I'm not a basshead, I don't listen to a lot of music that requires a lot of it, and I prefer the RE0's clarity and accuracy apparent to my novice ears any day.  I briefly tried out a friend's Turbine Pro Coppers, which sounded noticeably better in some respects, but for $80 I doubt these can be beaten.  I'm sure the sound will improve a tad if I get some different tips, as well.

Jul 25, 2010 at 1:07 AM Post #154 of 470
RE0 is sensitive enough to go ampless.  It's 101 SPL and close proximity to the ear make up for it's impedance being a bit higher than average.

It deserves better than a mere FiiO, in my opinion, unless you are on a really tight budget and need to turn the volume all the way up on your player just to get to normal listening volume.

Aug 2, 2010 at 4:16 PM Post #155 of 470
I got the FiiO because I didn't want to spend much at the time.  $80 was a lot to me, and it was hard for me to spend that much to begin with.  However, I have ordered and am waiting on a Headstage Arrow now.  Also, I just got a set of full size cans (AKG K702).  So now I'm looking forward to hearing the RE0 with the Arrow.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:10 PM Post #156 of 470
I just got the FiiO E5 and it goes great with the RE0s!  The bass boost is just about perfect where it is (shelving filter at 100 hz).  I'd proably push it to around 5 db if giving the choice but 3 db is a nice good boost right where its needed.  I don't hear any loss of detail.  I wouldn't bother to amp without the bass boost.

I did hear some detail lost on my other amp which originally cost me 120 bucks (mSeed Spirit which sounds like a toob amp).  So there you go!  Don't get caught up in you need to spend at least this much blah blah to really enjoy your RE0.  That little FiiO is a great match for the RE0s.  I'll have to try it on my HD580s next.

Aug 3, 2010 at 1:13 PM Post #157 of 470

Quote:
I got the FiiO because I didn't want to spend much at the time.  $80 was a lot to me, and it was hard for me to spend that much to begin with.  However, I have ordered and am waiting on a Headstage Arrow now.  Also, I just got a set of full size cans (AKG K702).  So now I'm looking forward to hearing the RE0 with the Arrow.

Oh yeah, you'll need something more than the FiiO for those K702s. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 8:04 AM Post #158 of 470
Trading in my 595s, 650s, and zero dac/amp for a pair of unamped RE0s....... Gonna miss the 650s, but I hardly ever used them, hoping the IEMs will be different, more versatile etc.
Maybe they'll sound good with bluegrass :)
I emailed head-direct, I didn't see where to put in a shipping address lol.
I'll be joining this club sometime this week hopefully!

Aug 29, 2010 at 5:55 PM Post #161 of 470
Quote:
What about these vs MC5s. I can't imagine the MC5 being better than the RE0 on sound quality, but I haven't read anything saying so.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/504336/etymotic-mc5-vs-re0-re2-an-amateur-s-comparison

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:25 PM Post #162 of 470
I saw that, but it didn't make much sense, as the RE0s were 200 dollars on release, and the MC5s are 80 dollars out of the gate. I also don't understand why Ety would cannibalize their higher end offerings by putting out something on the same level as the RE0s at that price point.

Aug 29, 2010 at 9:40 PM Post #163 of 470

Quote:
I saw that, but it didn't make much sense, as the RE0s were 200 dollars on release, and the MC5s are 80 dollars out of the gate. I also don't understand why Ety would cannibalize their higher end offerings by putting out something on the same level as the RE0s at that price point.

You may not understand it, but that's exactly what they did. There have been a number of comments to the effect that the HF5s may not be worth the extra $40 (street prices). I can't compare but can say that on their own terms the MC5s are very, very good. I doubt very much that the RE0 could sound significantly better.

Aug 29, 2010 at 10:03 PM Post #164 of 470
I recently RMA my RE0 but I receive the cloth version instead of the PFE rubber cable.  Can anyone tell me the difference between the two?  Is it just me or I feel that the microphonics are worse in the cloth cable. 

Aug 29, 2010 at 11:03 PM Post #165 of 470

Quote:

You may not understand it, but that's exactly what they did. There have been a number of comments to the effect that the HF5s may not be worth the extra $40 (street prices). I can't compare but can say that on their own terms the MC5s are very, very good. I doubt very much that the RE0 could sound significantly better.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably pick up a pair of each and see which I like more then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back