Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Sep 28, 2009 at 5:46 PM Post #61 of 470
Hi all.. first post and just got me re0s last week.

anyways the clarity is great..though the bass isnt as strong as my cx300s..maybe after some burning it..it'll get better.

i love the details.. listening to moon on bourbon street(sting) didnt hear the wolf howl at the end until just now..and i've been listening to this song for more than a decade..lol..didnt know there was a howl at the end.

but as i said.. i'm not too impressed yet since its been only week.. maybe it would take more burning in..but at this moment i think the se530 still wins this earphone hands down..

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:14 PM Post #62 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by trewqy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hi all.. first post and just got me re0s last week.

anyways the clarity is great..though the bass isnt as strong as my cx300s..maybe after some burning it..it'll get better.

i love the details.. listening to moon on bourbon street(sting) didnt hear the wolf howl at the end until just now..and i've been listening to this song for more than a decade..lol..didnt know there was a howl at the end.

but as i said.. i'm not too impressed yet since its been only week.. maybe it would take more burning in..but at this moment i think the se530 still wins this earphone hands down..

Even if the se530 doesn't reproduce the howl at the end...?
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 6:43 PM Post #63 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, I don't want to divert the thread, but I just have to ask:

How can something be described as having boomy bass, yet also having excellent neutrality and balance? Boomy is not neutral. Balance would require all levels, not just the bass, to have the same boominess. Again, not neutral.

What exactly is poor stereo separation caused by the player? The A-B channels are encoded into the music file. Are you saying the Clip does not accurately deliver A-to-A and B-to-B?

How can something have a rather low level of micro-detail and also have excellent clarity? Setting aside what the difference is between detail and micro-detail, can something without detail really be described as having good clarity?

I'm not asking this to flame -- perhaps there are perfectly good answers, but to my admittedly somewhat lay person's reading your description of the Clip has internal inconsistencies that are hard to reconcile.

Ok, I am not a sound engineer, but I'll try my best, based on my personal feelings and intuitions:

By boomy I didn't mean that the bass on the Clip is exaggerated, but rather that it lacks control and definition compared to more powerful sources. Not the best word to use perhaps.

By poor stereo separation, I meant that when using the Clip, the sound seems a bit narrow and congested to my ears, compared to my Sony and AMP3 for example. This lead me to believe that the Clip has somewhat poor stereo crosstalk, at least compared to my AMP3 and the Sony that is.

As for detail vs clarity, I think detail is basically how many sounds a piece of audio gear is capable of reproducing, whereas clarity is how purely a piece of audio gear can reproduce a single tone. Now, one may argue that clarity is therefore also detail, because if the sound is not pure, then it's not sufficiently detailed and part of audio signal is lost. I guess that's true, but I don't think detail on such a micro level can really be called detail because our ears don't have the capacity to perceive it as separate sounds. So we just call it clarity. Now, I think that if a piece of audio gear can reproduce a tone with enough of that minute detail to make it sound "clear" doesn't necessarily mean that it is detailed, because it doesn't mean that it has the capacity to reproduce enough of these tones/sounds to call it such. Hopefully this makes some sense. Also by micro-detail I mean the texture of the instruments/vocals. To me, macro-detail means how many instruments/vocals a piece of audio gear is capable of reproducing, whereas micro-detail is how many finer details in those instruments/vocals the audio gear can reproduce. Those finer details can also be called texture or harmonics.

Hopefully this clears things up for you somewhat. I know that is is not the most technically accurate explanation - probably far from it, but this is the best I can do at the time.

Sep 28, 2009 at 7:08 PM Post #64 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Even if the se530 doesn't reproduce the howl at the end...?
wink_face.gif
tongue.gif

heh no.. i didnt listen to sting while auditioning the se530..

it was my friends and it really made me a strong impression..probably also cause it cost so much so in my mindset..it was probably a mind blowing experience

probably gonna borrow it next week to see if i could hear the howl eh!
wink.gif

Sep 28, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #65 of 470
Pianist, thanks for the clarification on 'boomy' -- makes more sense now. Re 'crosstalk,' as I said up-thread that was news to me. I assumed this wouldn't occur in a digital environment.

Re detail/clarity, I understand your point but I may agree to disagree. I agree that some players when paired with quality HPs can reveal more tonal and spatial separation of sounds within the ear's capability to hear/identify it. That IMO characterizes both detail and clarity -- two sides of the same coin.

Oct 2, 2009 at 12:18 AM Post #66 of 470
I was looking for some to upgrade from my se110 as it wasnt holding my attention. After reading the praise for the RE0 in the other thread and the competitive price (i'd already spent 110 on an ms-1i so it was easy to justify it to myself).

It is as others have mentioned its lacking/recessed/balanced (delete as appropriate!) bass but as you get used to the sound signature it just comes into its own.

Airy classical right up to Justice's Stress (never fails to raise the hairs on my neck) all sound amazing right out of my ipod and I haven't even used it with my E5 or the other flanged earpieces or possibly decore my Shure olives.

If anyone was doubtful over taking the plunge I would definitely recommend them.

Nov 22, 2009 at 8:11 PM Post #69 of 470
These definitely have bass which is accurate and doesn't interfere. It seems that people who bash the bass are people who are coming from boomy earphones that even though have bass quantity, they have less accuracy. I can definitely say I like the bass on these more than the Atrios, though I this is just using my memory. Though I can surely say that the bass is better than PFEs and the fit has been the best I've gotten on an iem. I would say overall I was surprised by these because I was expecting a thin sound

Dec 16, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #72 of 470
bump02.jpg

Dec 16, 2009 at 3:34 PM Post #74 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by PouncePony /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Sounds like a conversation I used have about the girls at my college.
tongue_smile.gif

what the...
eek.gif

haha anyway my re0 will only be arriving in a few weeks.
Can't wait to try it out after all these rave reviews
darthsmile.gif

Dec 16, 2009 at 8:03 PM Post #75 of 470
I got mine 10 days back. Thanks to all the guys who reviewed the phone. the clarity and highs are really something. sounds I never heard before in songs I have heard so many times
smily_headphones1.gif

I have to add the biflange tips are the best IMO interms of closeness.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back