Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Sep 18, 2009 at 5:39 AM Post #31 of 470
I've bought mine when it was $170, and even seeing them on sale for $100 I haven't regretted my purchase one bit (beside, I prefer the old style wiring).
And the great thing is, I love my RE0's sound enough that I no longer feel the need to look for anything better.
It's comfortable to wear, sound nice and neutral with crystal clarity, have enough base paired with my T4, have decent enough soundstage.

Sep 18, 2009 at 6:24 AM Post #32 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Punnisher /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Though the strain reliefs aren't angled for over-the-ear use. It works but the angle should be in the exact opposite direction; towards the tip and not away from it.

I am not going to wear them over the ear. As you stated, they are not suitable for it. I found out the clip reduces the microphonics a lot. I think about 50% in my case, which is fine.

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:13 AM Post #33 of 470
Just got mine today. I gotta say I really am impressed. I'm running it from my EF1 (also by Head-Direct) and they sound amazing together. I've been trying all the tips the last hour and the ones I'll be using are the smallest black silicone tips, I find they have the most details and sparkle and the Comply 400 because they have the best isolation hands down.

Edit: I also liked the packaging, small, compact, everything fit in there well and nothing unnecessary .

Sep 19, 2009 at 6:53 AM Post #34 of 470
^My dad has a custom tube amp and I had a chance to audition with my RE0's coming out of my S9. The sound was a lot more full, the bass extended a lot deeper, and the highs sparkled. How do you like the EF1 paired with the RE-0? I'd love to hear how those two synergizes together.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:16 AM Post #35 of 470
^ I have experienced a fuller sound from the RE0 too, simply by running it from a good source with a high impedance. You will drastically hear the effect, maybe this is why some people suggest to use them with a portable amp. I find a portable amp unnecessary, because the gain is marginal. Running it from a proper amp, the gain is very large.

Sep 19, 2009 at 8:19 AM Post #36 of 470
A portable amp can be a proper amp.
I am still on the search for one.I am using a fiio E5 at the moment but I (my wallet...) want more
wink.gif

Sep 23, 2009 at 6:48 PM Post #38 of 470
I use them over the ear too, you get better clarity this way. I borrowed them but i'm thinking of buying them. They give my PFEs a real hard time, that's a close call. The PFEs are more detailed and faster, but the RE0s' tonal balance is just astonishing.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:03 PM Post #39 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use them over the ear too, you get better clarity this way. I borrowed them but i'm thinking of buying them. They give my PFEs a real hard time, that's a close call. The PFEs are more detailed and faster, but the RE0s' tonal balance is just astonishing.

Not sure about faster, but Phonak PFE is in no way more detailed than the RE0 to my ears. In fact, I think it is less detailed with less texture and micro detail. RE0 sounds a lot more sophisticated in comparison IMO.

Sep 23, 2009 at 7:18 PM Post #40 of 470
Hmm... maybe they haven't been fully burnt in, not sure. At the moment my PFEs are quite faster anyway. But i have to say they have their own way to present music, the PFEs sound very electrostats-like, so they may sound more detailed to certain persons and less to others. The RE0s are slower so they may add more texture.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:00 AM Post #41 of 470
Quote:

Hmm... maybe they haven't been fully burnt in, not sure. At the moment my PFEs are quite faster anyway. But i have to say they have their own way to present music, the PFEs sound very electrostats-like, so they may sound more detailed to certain persons and less to others. The RE0s are slower so they may add more texture.

Which electrostats did you try? Honestly, I cannot possibly imagine how Phonaks can sound like electrostats. If the electrostats have the kind of detail level the Phonaks have, I would never buy them for sure.

Sep 24, 2009 at 2:56 AM Post #43 of 470
Quote:

I agreee..
PFEs and RE0s both are very great IEM, and very good value too,their SQ are waaay above their price.. but they give different experience. PFEs are more bright and faster.. but i think RE0s have more detail than PFEs..

i'm very curious how they both will do when compare to the next FOTM Image S4..

Sep 24, 2009 at 12:50 PM Post #44 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Which electrostats did you try? Honestly, I cannot possibly imagine how Phonaks can sound like electrostats. If the electrostats have the kind of detail level the Phonaks have, I would never buy them for sure.

I didn't, that's just based on chi2's comments on the PFEs' appreciation thread, he said they reminded him a lot of his Staxs, but with less detail of course. And to me they do sound different from every dynamic phone i heard, so i guess it's true.
But i use the black tips on the RE0s, so i think they're a bit less detailed than with the biflanges. To me they don't handle fast music as well as the PFEs, they get a bit messy. On calm music they may seem more detailed as they add texture.

Sep 24, 2009 at 9:14 PM Post #45 of 470
Quote:

I didn't, that's just based on chi2's comments on the PFEs' appreciation thread, he said they reminded him a lot of his Staxs, but with less detail of course. And to me they do sound different from every dynamic phone i heard, so i guess it's true.
But i use the black tips on the RE0s, so i think they're a bit less detailed than with the biflanges. To me they don't handle fast music as well as the PFEs, they get a bit messy. On calm music they may seem more detailed as they add texture.

What other sources do you have besides the Clip? did you try RE0 with a good quality source and/or amp? Personally, I think RE0 never gets messy with complex music if the source and recording quality are up to par. Out of the Clip, it can sure sound a bit slow and congested, but that's the Clip's fault, not RE0's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back