Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Sep 24, 2009 at 9:20 PM Post #47 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I especially believe that the RE0 just does not pair with low quality recordings. Low/mid quality sources are not too bad.

Agreed. But I think RE0 also reveals the shorcomings of a source very well. For example when used with my Sansa Clip, RE0 clearly reveals the Clip's somewhat boomy bass, rather poor stereo separation and a rather low level of micro-detail. However, it also reveals the Clip's strengths - excellent neutrality and balance and excellent clarity.

Sep 25, 2009 at 6:34 AM Post #49 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by sebhuber /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I especially believe that the RE0 just does not pair with low quality recordings. Low/mid quality sources are not too bad.

I see you both own the RE0 and the sennheiser IE8.
Could you describe the differences of these 2 dynamic IEM.Would be quit interesting,because I was also considering buying the Sennheisers.
I think considering the price,nothing can beat the RE0's.

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:19 AM Post #50 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by TT600R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I see you both own the RE0 and the sennheiser IE8.
Could you describe the differences of these 2 dynamic IEM.Would be quit interesting,because I was also considering buying the Sennheisers.
I think considering the price,nothing can beat the RE0's.

Yes, the RE0 pricing is currently unbeatable. For what it offers, it truly is a great dynamic phone. I would describe the IE8 as very 'different', not only in terms of sound-signature.
Firstly, the RE0 are half the size of the IE8, making a huge impact on sonic characteristics. The IE8's sound stage is large, and by far more involving and fun than the RE0 could ever be, but only in terms of sound stage.
Secondly, the highs. Both the RE0 and the IE8 do well in this category, still I will go with the IE8. Due to the laid back nature it sounds more 'natural'. The RE0 do indeed sound detailed, even so, it can overstate the highs, which can make the sound very 2D-like. As an example: Eric Clapton's Unplugged, sounds great on both IEMs, but only the IE8 presents the clapping at the beginning of each song as natural. The RE0 presents the clapping in a more 'hollow' and 'unnatural' way. The actual songs are enjoyable on both equally.
Thirdly, mids - This is heavily subjective, and both of these do equally well. I love the IE8's lush and warm sounding mids. Equally I enjoy the transparency, faithful strumming and vocals the RE0 deliver.
Now: Low end. It can be read all over this forum, but it simply is not true. The RE0 does not have a lacking bass. Even after owning the IE8 (could be classified as a basshead IEM), I find the RE0's bass to be sufficient and of good quality. My previous comment on the recording is proof enough for me. The RE0 does not overstate, but at the same time does not understate. It sounds extremely natural and unforgiving. On the other hand, the IE8 sounds very 'bloated' in comparison, but after adjusting to the the sound signature, it seems well defined and controlled.
All in all, the RE0 delivers natural sound in comparison to the IE8. The detail both of these IEMs present is the same, but can sometimes be overshadowed by the bass the IE8 delivers, and therefore not stand out as much. If you want a more 'fun'-sounding IEM go with the IE8, you will not be disappointed, but if you want all the naturalness of the RE0, then stick to them.
transparacy

Sep 25, 2009 at 7:42 AM Post #51 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed. But I think RE0 also reveals the shorcomings of a source very well. For example when used with my Sansa Clip, RE0 clearly reveals the Clip's somewhat boomy bass, rather poor stereo separation and a rather low level of micro-detail. However, it also reveals the Clip's strengths - excellent neutrality and balance and excellent clarity.

I'm sorry, I don't want to divert the thread, but I just have to ask:

How can something be described as having boomy bass, yet also having excellent neutrality and balance? Boomy is not neutral. Balance would require all levels, not just the bass, to have the same boominess. Again, not neutral.

What exactly is poor stereo separation caused by the player? The A-B channels are encoded into the music file. Are you saying the Clip does not accurately deliver A-to-A and B-to-B?

How can something have a rather low level of micro-detail and also have excellent clarity? Setting aside what the difference is between detail and micro-detail, can something without detail really be described as having good clarity?

I'm not asking this to flame -- perhaps there are perfectly good answers, but to my admittedly somewhat lay person's reading your description of the Clip has internal inconsistencies that are hard to reconcile.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:52 AM Post #52 of 470
I've had my RE0's about 3 weeks now. I presume it's burn-in, but they sure didn't sound this good when I got them. Awesome.

I'm used to Sennheiser PX200's, and I was afraid I'd be dissapointed in the bass of the RE0's. Not at all. I'm having trouble comparing because I enjoy the RE0's so much I don't want to take them out.

The RE2's were also worse for the microphonics, hard plastic cord.

Sep 25, 2009 at 1:11 PM Post #53 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pianist /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What other sources do you have besides the Clip? did you try RE0 with a good quality source and/or amp? Personally, I think RE0 never gets messy with complex music if the source and recording quality are up to par. Out of the Clip, it can sure sound a bit slow and congested, but that's the Clip's fault, not RE0's.

Okay i just tried them on my CDP (don't have an amp though, except for a cheap Fiio which doesn't add anything good). The result is the same, the PFEs are still more detailed to my ears. I don't get that wow factor with the RE0s when listening to fast music. But the RE0s make it up for a better tonal balance overall. I'm thinking of selling the PFEs and buying the RE0s so i'm not trying to bash them here.

Sep 25, 2009 at 3:15 PM Post #54 of 470
I just bought these head phones, since I've been reading lots of good things about them on this forum. I hope they work well with electronic music ie: trance, techno, house. Anyone have any experience with these headphones and these genre's?

Sep 25, 2009 at 5:15 PM Post #55 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by Robisan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm sorry, I don't want to divert the thread, but I just have to ask:

How can something be described as having boomy bass, yet also having excellent neutrality and balance? Boomy is not neutral. Balance would require all levels, not just the bass, to have the same boominess. Again, not neutral.

What exactly is poor stereo separation caused by the player? The A-B channels are encoded into the music file. Are you saying the Clip does not accurately deliver A-to-A and B-to-B?

How can something have a rather low level of micro-detail and also have excellent clarity? Setting aside what the difference is between detail and micro-detail, can something without detail really be described as having good clarity?

I'm not asking this to flame -- perhaps there are perfectly good answers, but to my admittedly somewhat lay person's reading your description of the Clip has internal inconsistencies that are hard to reconcile.

(picture borrowed from CNET)

I can comment only on the boominess vs neutrality question. The Clip happens to not have a bass rolloff all the way down to 20hz, and has a very flat frequency range.

frsclip.PNG

What it does lack, however, is a powerful headphone out. This means that with harder to drive headphones, bass lacks definition and texture, resulting not in too much bass, but rather lower quality bass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm basing my guesses only on what I've read and not on personal experience.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:43 PM Post #56 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What it does lack, however, is a powerful headphone out. This means that with harder to drive headphones, bass lacks definition and texture, resulting not in too much bass, but rather lower quality bass.

Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm basing my guesses only on what I've read and not on personal experience.

With my Fuze (equivalent to the Clip) this is essentially correct. My ageless old V6's need some amping boost to bring out the bass. To my ears, however, I hear no difference on the RE-0s when using an E5. Perhaps higher end amping would produce noticeable benefit. IMO, there's a great synergy of neutrality and balance with the Fuze (Clip)/RE-0 pairing.

I'd just add that in my reading of the Fuze and Clip threads here, more often than not the feeling was their signature or presentation is somewhat soft and understated, not "boomy." That's my view too.

Sep 25, 2009 at 8:53 PM Post #57 of 470
Yeah to me the Clip has a great SQ too, when i had my AD900 it sounded as good on my Clip as on my CDP, it's as simple as that. Bass is tight and clean. According to Martin Sagmuller from ABI it even has one of the best stereo separation among all DAPs.

Sep 25, 2009 at 10:05 PM Post #58 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by mobbaddict /img/forum/go_quote.gif
According to Martin Sagmuller from ABI it even has one of the best stereo separation among all DAPs.

I really don't understand this. Stereo files have a left and right channel encoded. Left is delivered to left output and right to right. I don't understand how something that is binary and absolute -- left is left and right is right -- can vary among DAPs, especially when delivered to headphones, where there can be no doubt to the ear where left and right sound is coming from.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back