Head-Direct RE0 Appreciation Thread
Sep 16, 2009 at 11:12 PM Post #16 of 470
A warning about wearing them over ear: I suspect that this habit is what did my RE0's left side in. Because of the insertion angle, the strain relief is permanently stressed when you wear these IEMs over ear. Granted, the strain relief is supposed to be able to deal with this, but mine certainly didn't.

I found out that ALO audio is also selling these at $99, alongside head-direct. Good stuff.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:34 AM Post #17 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by zeromacro /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Try using the ear guides that came with your PFE's when using them around your ear (if you haven't done so already).

Where can I find those ear guides or something similar without buying a set of PFE's?

Sep 17, 2009 at 2:21 AM Post #20 of 470
wow another appreciation thread.. i thought that ClieOS review thread was already unofficial RE0 appreciation thread..

bout the splitting case, mine have it too.. but,instead of RMAA, i just use the powerglue..
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:04 AM Post #21 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A warning about wearing them over ear: I suspect that this habit is what did my RE0's left side in.

Did you use a cable guide? I am considering wearing them over the ear, but if there’s a risk, then I will pass.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:56 AM Post #22 of 470
I ordered some of these recently after reading a million reviews about various IEMs. I wasnt ready to spend the huge money on top end IEMs so these looked like a nice cheap solution.

About a 3 weeks in and wow these are very detailed units, i run 320 mp3's from my sony 639 and the results are awesome. I will agree they are a bit bass light but the representation is phenomenal.

They do sound a lot more bassy from the desktop tube amp I have on my computer.

I too would be interested in what portable amp would be perfect for these. Right now I am in line for a RSA Shadow.

no breakage yet and I use mine a lot.

Sep 17, 2009 at 11:14 AM Post #23 of 470
I got these a few months back now as an upgrade to my old Sennheiser CX500's that cost about £15. Spending about £60-70 on these I was really worried I wouldn't like them or they wouldn't sound any better than what I had before - At first they sounded worse and I really didn't like them at all.

After about 1-2 weeks of using and getting used to them I fell in love with the RE0's so much.

The detail and clarity is just fantastic, everything sounds so good and not all muddy and bassy like on the previous IEM's which in comparison now sound quite bad.

At first I was using those medium clear tips that came with the RE0, but found it sounded a lot better with the large tips that were previously on my CX500's.

I have no problem with microphonics at all - it's better than the CX500 was by far, no problem with sound isolation too - that's also better than the CX500. I can stand at a train station, close my eyes and open them again to see the train just went past - didn't even hear it at all the isolation is so good.

I love the knitted type cable cover, it doesn't get all tangled like other wire cables, and the solid metal splitter part helps keep the cable weighted down and not fly around all over the place when worn.

They benefit from an amp I think - even just a £10 fiio E5 is enough, the bass boost and slight volume increase is good - but I found the bass even unamped is nowhere near as bad/weak as people say - I found unamped the bass was strong and punchy, just amping makes it really BOOM at you and sound better.

Overall very worth buying, if they broke I would get another pair for sure.

Sep 17, 2009 at 12:23 PM Post #24 of 470
Bought RE0 last month and have been enjoying it since. Certainly was a nice upgrade to my CX300.

SQ is great, articulate and clear, high is crisp enough but not too aggressive, mid is smooth. I still find the bass a little bit lacking and the soundstage is not enough. RE0 is kinda hard to drive and needs amp to bring it to its potential. My cheap Fiio E3 is enough to do the job.

Another complain would be, the metal thingy in the Y splitter gave me small electric shock, does this happen to anyone else?

Sep 17, 2009 at 3:55 PM Post #25 of 470
I upgraded from the NE-7M to the RE0. I knew the NE-7M was fairly colored -- big, but not boomy bass, cool mids, and fairly hot trebles. The RE0 is much flatter, more balanced and very detailed. As several have noted, it produces deep bass when needed -- it's just not exaggerated as with too many other phones and IEMs.

When no music is playing the microphonics are very noticable, but even modest levels of sound cause me to not notice it much.

I go back and forth between some old fake Shure E2c tips (with a wider sound hole than real Shure E2c tips) and the Comply T400. I'm wanting to get some Shure small olives and squeeze them on -- they are the most comfortable tips I've ever tried.

Sep 17, 2009 at 5:59 PM Post #26 of 470
I have almost no issues with microphonics.
I wear them over the ears and I give the cable some slack with a clip.

Sep 18, 2009 at 1:51 AM Post #27 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by peli_kan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A warning about wearing them over ear: I suspect that this habit is what did my RE0's left side in. Because of the insertion angle, the strain relief is permanently stressed when you wear these IEMs over ear. Granted, the strain relief is supposed to be able to deal with this, but mine certainly didn't.

The opposite is true for me. If I wear it cable down, the it sits deep enough such that the strain relief is bent at an angle away from the housing. However, wearing it over the ear bends the cable at a sharp angle for me and I think they will die the same way my Shures did because of this.

Either way, I wear over the ear at my casing split but I blame my frequent switching of tips for this.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:22 AM Post #28 of 470
Quote:

Originally Posted by TT600R /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have almost no issues with microphonics.
I wear them over the ears and I give the cable some slack with a clip.

X2

Cuts 95% of the microphonics. Slack plus the clip seems to be very safe from sudden tugs once inserted. However, think I'll be more careful to baby these things when inserting and removing based on peli_kan's comments...

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:30 AM Post #29 of 470
Over-the-ear prevents most microphonics, yes.

Though the strain reliefs aren't angled for over-the-ear use. It works but the angle should be in the exact opposite direction; towards the tip and not away from it.

Sep 18, 2009 at 3:58 AM Post #30 of 470
I have the original version of the RE0 - the one with the big-honking case. They were a huge upgrade from my Shure e2c. The bass of the RE0 as many have suggested can be easily augmented by a simple Fiio E3 or in my case I find I get plenty bass by EQing my Cowon S9.

And I've been using the Comply T-400 tips on plane rides as I find they provide the most comfort for long listening sessions and better isolation than the tips supplied. They do remove some of the detail out but it's a good trade-off for comfort and the isolation. Also, there have been no quality issues with my set.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back