HEAD-DIRECT EF-5 Headphone amplifier
Aug 23, 2010 at 2:59 PM Post #212 of 298

Quote:
Do discrete opamp fit in? Anyone tried it with discrete opamps?

There is a gentleman using them with an EF1, but you have to remove the top cover to make room for them.  I don't see any reason why they wouldn't work with the EF5 too.  I keep meaning to roll opamps in mine, but it sounds good enough stock so far that I haven't been in a hurry (9 months now).

Sep 11, 2010 at 10:33 PM Post #215 of 298
I have mostly listen to Earth, I didn't find it to be a big improvment but it had a more neutral sound then the OP275. I do prefer the OP275 for my K701. I can't compare them right now since my headphones are sent for repair. I'm going to try the ADA4627-1 when I get the headphones back.

Sep 17, 2010 at 8:18 PM Post #216 of 298

Listening to the ADA4627-1 in the EF5 now, swapped out a pair of AD743JN. The ADA4627-1 is definately a brighter sounding op amp, I think it pairs great with the bass-ier tubes such as the TungSol Black glass and Mullards. The highs extend higher and the upper mids are more prominent, the AD743JN had thicker, lusher mids and lower mids. Initial impression leads me to think it is more detailed then my AD743JN and definately more detailed than the stock OPA273.

As with all op amps in the EF5 it gets HOT, I have the ADA4627-1 on a brown dog adapter that has one chip on the bottom and one on the top. I'd feel better with both chips mounted side by side so they both get equal air circulation.

Sep 18, 2010 at 1:39 AM Post #217 of 298

Quote:

Listening to the ADA4627-1 in the EF5 now, swapped out a pair of AD743JN. The ADA4627-1 is definately a brighter sounding op amp, I think it pairs great with the bass-ier tubes such as the TungSol Black glass and Mullards. The highs extend higher and the upper mids are more prominent, the AD743JN had thicker, lusher mids and lower mids. Initial impression leads me to think it is more detailed then my AD743JN and definately more detailed than the stock OPA273.

As with all op amps in the EF5 it gets HOT, I have the ADA4627-1 on a brown dog adapter that has one chip on the bottom and one on the top. I'd feel better with both chips mounted side by side so they both get equal air circulation.

So, the AD743 can handle the high voltage supply of the EF5?  I might have to try mine (on a 2:1 adapter), since I took them out of the Travagans Red to put my OPA627 in it.

Sep 18, 2010 at 10:35 AM Post #218 of 298

Quote:
So, the AD743 can handle the high voltage supply of the EF5?  I might have to try mine (on a 2:1 adapter), since I took them out of the Travagans Red to put my OPA627 in it.

PM HiFlight, he sold me my AD743JN's as a upgrade kit to the EF1/EF5. They are on an adapter with a small SMD resistor between two legs. Not sure what the resister contributes.

Sep 21, 2010 at 1:25 PM Post #219 of 298
some people here already wrote that EF5 has good sinergy with K701/2, well, is this set up still good for rock song? (PRaT factor). My song lists usually consist of rock, slow rock, pop, acoustic and vocal jazz. 

and will ef5 still make k701 offering that "natural sounding"? or better if I still using my ss amp? (linearossa K3), note that I usually listen music with low volume, so I need clean sound that still offering good detail at low volume.

Sep 21, 2010 at 5:53 PM Post #220 of 298
Get a Naim Headline for your 701s and you won't need anything else.
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 22, 2010 at 5:51 AM Post #221 of 298
umm.. never heard Naim Headline before...

for you who ever listen Solo SRGII and EF5, which one is better to pair with K701? I've ever tried Solo II with K701, but only 1 or 2 minutes so I can't judge it well.

Nov 24, 2010 at 12:06 PM Post #222 of 298
Taking your advice and a few others, I spent $13 on a pair of 797BRZ premounted to an adapter from eBay seller audjade. Not only was I surprised the op-amp was legitimate and not a fake of some sort, it's jaw-droppingly good. Bass is more rich, refined and deep; vocals feel far more intimate; PRaT seems improved nicely as well. In some songs vocals that were incoherent are now easily understood such as the whispers at the introduction of Telefon Tel Aviv's "The Birds." The bass improvements are fantastic, it's like I'm using a whole 'nother amplifier or my subwoofer is on in the background and I'm absolutely in love with the HE-5LE's bass now. Just a great solid improvement all around, there's nary a reason not to get this upgrade for the price it comes at! The only thing I could think is getting the OP275 out without destroying it, but you'll never want to put it back in!
Quote:
I just rolled a pair of 825's on a browndog in today. Initial impressions are very positive. This amp really responds to different op-amps. I have not listened to it enough to form a real opinion but im quite impressed thus far. I have not tried the 797's yet, I just got finished soldering them up though.

The OP275 was a popular op-amp in the 90's. But I think it's long been surpassed and there stands alot to be gained by swapping it out with something a little nicer.

Another nice benefit to these SOIC on browndog op-amps is they are very small and can easily fit under the lid without having to use washers to raise the top. They are actually smaller then a single dip-8 opamp.

edit: ok spent some more time listening to 825, still have not tried 797. This is easily the best op-amp i've tried in this amp yet. Clearly surpassing the PA2227, LME49860, OP275 and AD743JN. If you leave this op-amp stock your really missing out on what the EF5 can deliver. Im listening with the RCA Cleartop too btw. Different op-amps do synergize differently with various tubes so this comes into play as well.

Edit: been listening to the AD797's for awhile. They are very neutral sounding and clear, I think they are a step over the 825 as well. And that is saying alot, as the 825 was easily better then the above mentioned opamps. There's simply nothing to not like about the 797, it seems to do everything very well. When first putting it in, coming from the 825 it really shows how not-neutral the 825 is. That said, the 825 is still great, and very fun/musical sounding. It's a real toe tapper, if not the last word in neutrality. For those of you still using the stock op275 it's really time to roll that badboy, your missing out.

The 825's are available at Digikey for 4.23 each, the 797's are 9.45 a piece. You need 2 of these as they are single channel. You'll also need browndog 2xSOIC8 to DIP8 adapters, which are 2.39 each, with a 5 min order.

Nov 24, 2010 at 9:19 PM Post #223 of 298

Quote:
Taking your advice and a few others, I spent $13 on a pair of 797BRZ premounted to an adapter from eBay seller audjade. Not only was I surprised the op-amp was legitimate and not a fake of some sort, it's jaw-droppingly good. Bass is more rich, refined and deep; vocals feel far more intimate; PRaT seems improved nicely as well. In some songs vocals that were incoherent are now easily understood such as the whispers at the introduction of Telefon Tel Aviv's "The Birds." The bass improvements are fantastic, it's like I'm using a whole 'nother amplifier or my subwoofer is on in the background and I'm absolutely in love with the HE-5LE's bass now. Just a great solid improvement all around, there's nary a reason not to get this upgrade for the price it comes at! The only thing I could think is getting the OP275 out without destroying it, but you'll never want to put it back in!
Quote:
I just rolled a pair of 825's on a browndog in today. Initial impressions are very positive. This amp really responds to different op-amps. I have not listened to it enough to form a real opinion but im quite impressed thus far. I have not tried the 797's yet, I just got finished soldering them up though.

The OP275 was a popular op-amp in the 90's. But I think it's long been surpassed and there stands alot to be gained by swapping it out with something a little nicer.

Another nice benefit to these SOIC on browndog op-amps is they are very small and can easily fit under the lid without having to use washers to raise the top. They are actually smaller then a single dip-8 opamp.

edit: ok spent some more time listening to 825, still have not tried 797. This is easily the best op-amp i've tried in this amp yet. Clearly surpassing the PA2227, LME49860, OP275 and AD743JN. If you leave this op-amp stock your really missing out on what the EF5 can deliver. Im listening with the RCA Cleartop too btw. Different op-amps do synergize differently with various tubes so this comes into play as well.

Edit: been listening to the AD797's for awhile. They are very neutral sounding and clear, I think they are a step over the 825 as well. And that is saying alot, as the 825 was easily better then the above mentioned opamps. There's simply nothing to not like about the 797, it seems to do everything very well. When first putting it in, coming from the 825 it really shows how not-neutral the 825 is. That said, the 825 is still great, and very fun/musical sounding. It's a real toe tapper, if not the last word in neutrality. For those of you still using the stock op275 it's really time to roll that badboy, your missing out.

The 825's are available at Digikey for 4.23 each, the 797's are 9.45 a piece. You need 2 of these as they are single channel. You'll also need browndog 2xSOIC8 to DIP8 adapters, which are 2.39 each, with a 5 min order.

As I recall with the iBasso D12 the AD797 on a 2:1 adapter were much better than the stock opamps.  The AD743 were only slightly better, so I kept the AD743 when I sold the D1 with the AD797 in it.  These opamps behave differently depending on the amp circuit, so it's not surprising that the 797 might be a better choice in the EF5 than the 743.

I will try the AD743 someday, and maybe order the 825 and 797 just in case.  I was going to put the AD743 back in my Travagans Red, in place of the OPA627 I rolled into it.  

May 23, 2011 at 10:32 PM Post #225 of 298
What Tube/opamp pairings go well with LCD2, any suggestions? LCD2 is coming to me very soon. My source will be HRT MS2+

I have:
-RCA Clear top
-Brimar
-Tungsol BG
-Telefunken
-Mullard
-Amperex

A tube with good top end extension would be suitable since LCD2's treble is said to be rather laid back than forward. I havn't tried all tubes but I've been enjoying Telefunken and Tungsol with my w1000x

I havn't switched the Opamps. As I understand, doing that in generally brings more neutrality to EF5 as the stock opamp is quite warm right?

Edit: im considering OPA627AU but Im not decided. That one or 797.

Thanks in advance

Users who are viewing this thread

Back